Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What is the equivalent Hex ?

What is the equivalent Hex ?

Dylan Parry

Els wrote:

>> Believe it or not, I don't really /do/ blogs.

> Not even mine?

On occassion, but I don't subscribe

>> Although I've recently started listening to Podcasts, so I'm slowly
>> bringing myself into this millennium

> I've listened to a couple of Podcasts, but it's not as good as I
> thought it would be. I thought I could just listen to them while
> doing other things, but that doesn't work. Apparently multi-tasking
> is a chronological concept, not a simultaneous one. I think I still
> prefer the pre-podcast method: listen to music while reading content,
> rather than listen to content while trying to do something else

I do that to be a problem, admittedly. I'll find that I've gone through
an hour or so and not actually heard a word, or that I'll have heard it
all but realise that I've not typed anything for 30 minutes! Still, it
makes a nice alternative to the radio or listening to the same music,
which always seems to crop up in a random playlist of ~5000 files

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Els

Dylan Parry wrote:

[podcasts and multitasking]
> I do that to be a problem, admittedly. I'll find that I've gone through
> an hour or so and not actually heard a word, or that I'll have heard it
> all but realise that I've not typed anything for 30 minutes! Still, it
> makes a nice alternative to the radio or listening to the same music,
> which always seems to crop up in a random playlist of ~5000 files

That's why you should split your playlist in half - have a random one
of 2500 files, and once you're sick of it, use the other one.
Or do as I do: find a good internet radio station, and after a couple
of days in which you're hearing every song 5 times, you'll appreciate
the 5000 files random playlist on your pc again (or switch to a
different station)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Dylan Parry

Els wrote:

> That's why you should split your playlist in half - have a random one
> of 2500 files, and once you're sick of it, use the other one.

Interesting idea, but one I can't be bothered to do

> Or do as I do: find a good internet radio station, and after a couple
> of days in which you're hearing every song 5 times, you'll appreciate
> the 5000 files random playlist on your pc again (or switch to a
> different station)

Better idea. I do have a couple of stations bookmarked in WMP, and a few
more that I haven't listened to in ages. Maybe it's time to give them a
try again. FWIW, I used to use Pandora and Last.fm, but there was either
too much repetition or the music was all much the same without enough
variety.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 07:03:29
GMT dorayme scribed:

>> > What is the problem with 3 digit specs that you have ever found?

>> I don't like them because they promote sloppy coloring. Standard
>> colors don't have 3 groups of repeated digits; they're more like
>> #808080 or #c0c0c0 or even #d4d0c8. What color is #aa8844?

> well, I have not been following closely the context of all this
> but if it were to promote such a thing then I am sure it would be
> bad and you would be quite right to point this out.
>
> But the real question is: Does it promote sloppy colouring? The
> answer to this depends on what the "it" in the last question
> refers to: if it refers to a person who mindlessly fixes to use
> *only* 3 numbers always, then yes, you are right. But at the cost
> of strawmaning your target.
>
> If the "it" refers to someone who sees no point in going #ffffff;
> when they can type #fff; but who has and succumbs to frequent
> desires to use such as #FFDEAD (NavajoWhite), then your case is
> not advanced.
>
> Perhaps the tendency to short form the colours does invite a lazy
> tendency in some people? But, you, being aware of the problem
> will not succumb. Be a devil and use the short where you can and
> not where you want nicer...
>
> There is an argument to say you should use the shorter. It is
> this: if you don't you will spend more time typing and reading
> longer code and this will sap energy that could be better devoted
> to choosing really nice colours when it would be appropriate.
>
> So, in other words, and to sum up, without any empirical evidence
> one way or the other, it is as likely that your colour judgements
> could be impaired by going one way as it is by going the other
> way.

Well, I still don't like it. Besides what I said before, it can be
confusing. Some people may mis-take #bbb as #b0b0b0 instead of #bbbbbb,
and that could cause a lot of bo in the flower shop. I just don't think
such a "shortcut" is worth it for 3 miserable digits.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Bergamot

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Harlan Messinger wrote:
>>
>> A three-digit RGB code #xyz is shorthand for a six-digit hex code
>> #xxyyzz. So, #226699.

> I did not know that; I always use six-digit. How is browser support?

Even Netscape 4.x supported it. I don't know of any browser that doesn't.

--
Berg

hex string to hex value tim Python 8 11-23-2005 06:27 PM
[Fwd: Re: hex string to hex value] tim Python 2 11-23-2005 07:18 AM
Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3 lucanos@gmail.com HTML 10 08-18-2005 11:21 PM
hex value in string back to real hex value jack Python 4 09-08-2004 07:11 AM
hex(-5) => Futurewarning: ugh, can't we have a better hex than '-'[:n<0]+hex(abs(n)) ?? Bengt Richter Python 6 08-19-2003 07:33 AM

Advertisments