Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What is the equivalent Hex ?

What is the equivalent Hex ?

Sparky

On Nov 1, 7:16 pm, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bone Ur wrote:
> > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:55:30 GMT
> > Blinky the Shark scribed:

> >> I did not know that; I always use six-digit. How is browser support?

> > ...To save 3 lousy alphanumeric digits per attribute?

> I'll continue using six-digit codes. I just wondered about support.
>
> > (I've had no trouble with any browser the few times I've done it.)

> To save three lousy characters?
>
> --
> Blinky RLU 297263
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project -http://improve-usenet.org

if you are on a mac you can get the exact hex code for any color on
your screen
go to Application > utilities > DigitalColor Meter
open it and select 8 bit hex value,
then make sure the reading point is at one pixel and the you can tell
the color of each pixel

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Sparky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 7:16 pm, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Bone Ur wrote:
> > > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:55:30
> > > GMT
> > > Blinky the Shark scribed:

> > > ...To save 3 lousy alphanumeric digits per attribute?

> > I'll continue using six-digit codes. I just wondered about support.
> >
> > > (I've had no trouble with any browser the few times I've done it.)

> > To save three lousy characters?

3 chars multiplied by many instances adds up.

> if you are on a mac you can get the exact hex code for any color on
> your screen
> go to Application > utilities > DigitalColor Meter
> open it and select 8 bit hex value,
> then make sure the reading point is at one pixel and the you can tell
> the color of each pixel

And you can copy/paste that value, it has quotes around it which
must be removed (a nuisance... but it is better than a poke in
the eye with a burnt stick).

--
dorayme

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 01:16:02
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

>>> I did not know that; I always use six-digit. How is browser
>>> support?

>> ...To save 3 lousy alphanumeric digits per attribute?

> I'll continue using six-digit codes. I just wondered about support.
>
>> (I've had no trouble with any browser the few times I've done it.)

> To save three lousy characters?

Strictly for experimental purposes or on those occasions when I suffered
from key finger fatigue.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

dorayme

In article <Xns99DBD8122C439boneurhyphe@85.214.62.108>,
Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Strictly for experimental purposes or on those occasions when I suffered
> from key finger fatigue.

What is the problem with 3 digit specs that you have ever found?

--
dorayme

Blinky the Shark

Bone Ur wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 01:16:02
> GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

>>> ...To save 3 lousy alphanumeric digits per attribute?

>> I'll continue using six-digit codes. I just wondered about support.
>>
>>> (I've had no trouble with any browser the few times I've done it.)

>> To save three lousy characters?

> Strictly for experimental purposes or on those occasions when I suffered
> from key finger fatigue.

But of course.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 04:37:53
GMT dorayme scribed:

> In article <Xns99DBD8122C439boneurhyphe@85.214.62.108>,
> Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Strictly for experimental purposes or on those occasions when I
>> suffered from key finger fatigue.

> What is the problem with 3 digit specs that you have ever found?

I don't like them because they promote sloppy coloring. Standard colors
don't have 3 groups of repeated digits; they're more like #808080 or
#c0c0c0 or even #d4d0c8. What color is #aa8844?

--

In article <Xns99DBEDF0170E3boneurhyphe@85.214.62.108>,
Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 04:37:53
> GMT dorayme scribed:
>
> > In article <Xns99DBD8122C439boneurhyphe@85.214.62.108>,
> > Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Strictly for experimental purposes or on those occasions when I
> >> suffered from key finger fatigue.

> > What is the problem with 3 digit specs that you have ever found?

> I don't like them because they promote sloppy coloring. Standard colors
> don't have 3 groups of repeated digits; they're more like #808080 or
> #c0c0c0 or even #d4d0c8. What color is #aa8844?

well, I have not been following closely the context of all this
but if it were to promote such a thing then I am sure it would be
bad and you would be quite right to point this out.

But the real question is: Does it promote sloppy colouring? The
answer to this depends on what the "it" in the last question
refers to: if it refers to a person who mindlessly fixes to use
*only* 3 numbers always, then yes, you are right. But at the cost
of strawmaning your target.

If the "it" refers to someone who sees no point in going #ffffff;
when they can type #fff; but who has and succumbs to frequent
desires to use such as #FFDEAD (NavajoWhite), then your case is
not advanced.

Perhaps the tendency to short form the colours does invite a lazy
tendency in some people? But, you, being aware of the problem
will not succumb. Be a devil and use the short where you can and
not where you want nicer...

There is an argument to say you should use the shorter. It is
this: if you don't you will spend more time typing and reading
longer code and this will sap energy that could be better devoted
to choosing really nice colours when it would be appropriate.

So, in other words, and to sum up, without any empirical evidence
one way or the other, it is as likely that your colour judgements
could be impaired by going one way as it is by going the other
way.

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Reshma:

> I am new to HTML and CSS.

Then read a good book on them, starting from HTML.

> I came across this block of code, .link{
> color:#269;
> display:block;
> margin:4px 0 0 0;
> padding:2px 1em;
> }

Just ignore it.

> I am wondering what is the equivalent hex code for the color:#269 in
> the above.

What's the point in asking it here? If you tried to learn math, would you
frequent Usenet groups, asking people to tell you how much 16 + 68 is?

The point is that virtually any tutorial on CSS (even the crappy ones) tell
you the various ways to specify colors and how they relate. Did you intend
to manage without reading a single tutorial? Well, then you will probably
copy and imitate crappy code like the one you quoted (apparently setting
some links to a fixed color without setting background).

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Dylan Parry

Els wrote:

> This is Dave:
> http://www.mezzoblue.com/

Ah. I know the site, just not the Dave <g>

>> It's probably obvious that I never look at the Zen Garden

> Or subscribe to Dave's blog

Believe it or not, I don't really /do/ blogs. Although I've recently
started listening to Podcasts, so I'm slowly bringing myself into this
millennium

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Els

Dylan Parry wrote:

> Els wrote:
>
>> This is Dave:
>> http://www.mezzoblue.com/

> Ah. I know the site, just not the Dave <g>

> Believe it or not, I don't really /do/ blogs.

Not even mine?

> Although I've recently
> started listening to Podcasts, so I'm slowly bringing myself into this
> millennium

I've listened to a couple of Podcasts, but it's not as good as I
thought it would be. I thought I could just listen to them while doing
other things, but that doesn't work. Apparently multi-tasking is a
chronological concept, not a simultaneous one. I think I still prefer
the pre-podcast method: listen to music while reading content, rather
than listen to content while trying to do something else

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

hex string to hex value tim Python 8 11-23-2005 06:27 PM
[Fwd: Re: hex string to hex value] tim Python 2 11-23-2005 07:18 AM
Hex Color Codes - Hex 6 <=> Hex 3 lucanos@gmail.com HTML 10 08-18-2005 11:21 PM
hex value in string back to real hex value jack Python 4 09-08-2004 07:11 AM
hex(-5) => Futurewarning: ugh, can't we have a better hex than '-'[:n<0]+hex(abs(n)) ?? Bengt Richter Python 6 08-19-2003 07:33 AM

Advertisments