Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Digital Image Stitching II

Re: Digital Image Stitching II

David J Taylor

Ron Hunter wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:

[]
>> The systems I've tested on are both 3GB RAM (Pentium 4 HT 2.8GHz,
>> Intel dual-core 6600 2.4GHz). As an aside, I did upgrade the memory
>> in my 1.6GHz Centrino portable from 512MB to 1.25GB (had to loose 1 x
>> 256MB
>> module) and found a noticeable improvement in response.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>

> That is usually the case when you more than double available memory.
> Many programs work much faster when they have more RAM available to
> work with, even when they aren't forced into swapping.

I was pleasantly surprised, and even more surprised that the upgrade was
easier than adding memory to a desktop. Perhaps your laptop deserves a
Christmas present of some more memory too?

Cheers,
David

Ron Hunter

David J Taylor wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:

> []
>>> The systems I've tested on are both 3GB RAM (Pentium 4 HT 2.8GHz,
>>> Intel dual-core 6600 2.4GHz). As an aside, I did upgrade the memory
>>> in my 1.6GHz Centrino portable from 512MB to 1.25GB (had to loose 1 x
>>> 256MB
>>> module) and found a noticeable improvement in response.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David
>>>

>> That is usually the case when you more than double available memory.
>> Many programs work much faster when they have more RAM available to
>> work with, even when they aren't forced into swapping.

> I was pleasantly surprised, and even more surprised that the upgrade was
> easier than adding memory to a desktop. Perhaps your laptop deserves a
> Christmas present of some more memory too?
>
> Cheers,
> David

I am afraid that after over 3 years, it is probably not economical to
upgrade the ram. Would probably be better to jack it up and slip a new
one under it...

David J Taylor

Ron Hunter wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:

[]
>> I was pleasantly surprised, and even more surprised that the upgrade
>> was easier than adding memory to a desktop. Perhaps your laptop
>> deserves a Christmas present of some more memory too?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>

> I am afraid that after over 3 years, it is probably not economical to
> upgrade the ram. Would probably be better to jack it up and slip a
> new one under it...

You may be surprised at the price of memory today. These people have 1GB
SODIMM at about GBP 20 (US $40).

http://www.mpcomp.co.uk/mpc.php?page...t&product=6048

Cheers,
David

acl

On Nov 3, 7:14 pm, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
> > David J Taylor wrote:

> []
> >> I was pleasantly surprised, and even more surprised that the upgrade
> >> was easier than adding memory to a desktop. Perhaps your laptop
> >> deserves a Christmas present of some more memory too?

> >> Cheers,
> >> David

> > I am afraid that after over 3 years, it is probably not economical to
> > upgrade the ram. Would probably be better to jack it up and slip a
> > new one under it...

> You may be surprised at the price of memory today. These people have 1GB
> SODIMM at about GBP 20 (US $40).
>
> http://www.mpcomp.co.uk/mpc.php?page...t&product=6048
>
> Cheers,
> David

When I saw this thread, I checked the prices of ram out of idle
curiosity. They're really cheap! I know what I'm shopping for on
Monday! 1.5GB will speed up things nicely!

Daniel Silevitch

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:19:09 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am afraid that after over 3 years, it is probably not economical to
> upgrade the ram. Would probably be better to jack it up and slip a new
> one under it...

Unless it takes some esoteric form of RAM, it's probably not too bad. I
paid $55 for 2 gigs of laptop RAM a couple of weeks ago (DDR2 667 Mhz
SODIMMs for a MacBook), and RAM for the previous couple of generations
of laptops isn't too much more expensive on a per-gigabyte basis. A
brief scan through NewEgg's catalog of DDR 333 laptop memory shows
prices in the $50ish/gigabyte range if you buy a pair of 512 meg
modules. 1 gig modules of the older types of memory are more expensive,
starting at about $60 or so.

-dms

Ron Hunter

acl wrote:
> On Nov 3, 7:14 pm, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-
> bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>> David J Taylor wrote:

>> []
>>> I am afraid that after over 3 years, it is probably not economical to
>>> upgrade the ram. Would probably be better to jack it up and slip a
>>> new one under it...

>> You may be surprised at the price of memory today. These people have 1GB
>> SODIMM at about GBP 20 (US $40).
>>
>> http://www.mpcomp.co.uk/mpc.php?page...t&product=6048
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

> When I saw this thread, I checked the prices of ram out of idle
> curiosity. They're really cheap! I know what I'm shopping for on
> Monday! 1.5GB will speed up things nicely!

For many programs, it certainly will. Even more if you like to keep
several applications open at once.