Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using cellular bluetooth headset with a computer?

Using cellular bluetooth headset with a computer?

Kompu Kid

Hello All:

I have a Plantronics headset, a light-weight one that gets attached to
the ear, that I use my cell phone.

Can I use this with my bluetooth enabled computer while calling with
Skype, MSN, etc?

I played with it a bit but could not figure it out.

Deguza

Hertz_Donut

"Kompu Kid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hello All:
>
> I have a Plantronics headset, a light-weight one that gets attached to
> the ear, that I use my cell phone.
>
> Can I use this with my bluetooth enabled computer while calling with
> Skype, MSN, etc?
>
> I played with it a bit but could not figure it out.
>
> Deguza

Does your computer have Bluetooth?
If so, you should be able to pair it easily.

Honu

AB

I have something similar - a plantronics headset for my laoptop,
similar to what gamers use.
that connects to my laptop via USB.

I can connect my blackberry to my laptop via BlueTooth.

Question: through the audio gateway connection (or something similar),
can I conduct calls on my blackberry phone using the USB headset, all
via the laptop?

On Nov 1, 2:52 am, "Hertz_Donut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Kompu Kid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>
> > Hello All:

> > I have a Plantronics headset, a light-weight one that gets attached to
> > the ear, that I use my cell phone.

> > Can I use this with my bluetooth enabled computer while calling with
> > Skype, MSN, etc?

> > I played with it a bit but could not figure it out.

> > Deguza

> Does your computer have Bluetooth?
> If so, you should be able to pair it easily.
>
> Honu

Larry

Kompu Kid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

> Can I use this with my bluetooth enabled computer while calling

with
> Skype, MSN, etc?

A good place to start learning about Bluetooth (BT) is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Bluetooth devices respond to certain "profiles" that define what
the device is and what its use is for two reasons:
1-Whoever is in control of the services the device runs on wants
to limit what other devices the device will operate with. Turn
off the DUN (dial up networking) profile on a cellphone and it
won't act as a modem for your laptop, for instance. Control
freaks like Verizon Wireless comes to mind...(c;

2-To prevent interference between devices. Let's say your little
Bluetooth network has a cellphone, the cellphone's handsfree
headset, your laptop, a bluetooth printer and a stereo headset or
speaker on it in a 30' radius. Ever wonder why the cellphone
talks to the handsfree earpiece but doesn't interfere with the
music playing over the BT stereo speakers? That's because it
will talk to the headset, but the computer won't, while the
computer will talk to the BT speakers but not the handsfree. All
this depends on what "profiles" each BT device supports.

Now, in your case, you'd have to have the PROFILE of a handsfree
headset running on your computer before the cellphone headset
will talk to it, even though it WILL pair (communicate) with it,
now. Pairing doesn't care about profiles, only about
communications. You can pair the computer with the cellphone
headset, but it probably won't operate it....and it CERTAINLY
won't operate it if it is ALREADY paired and connected to your
cellphone.

Try pairing with it from the computer AFTER you turn the
cellphone COMPLETELY OFF. See if that works.

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe

dold@94.usenet.us.com

Kompu Kid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can I use this with my bluetooth enabled computer while calling with
> Skype, MSN, etc?

> I played with it a bit but could not figure it out.

What was it that didn't work?
I find that pairing to a cellphone and a PC is more trouble than it's
worth, because you have to disable the "other" device each time you want to
switch. There are Plantronics models that allow for seamless switching,
according to the ads, but I haven't seen that.

Did you get it to pair, but got no audio? Did you "answer" the phone when
you first connected to the PC?

I have used the same BT headset on cellphones and PCs for Skype and other
audio functions. I now have different ones paired to the phone and PC so I
don't have to switch.

Kompu Kid

On Nov 1, 3:56 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Kompu Kid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Can I use this with mybluetoothenabled computer while calling with
> > Skype, MSN, etc?
> > I played with it a bit but could not figure it out.

> What was it that didn't work?
> I find that pairing to a cellphone and a PC is more trouble than it's
> worth, because you have to disable the "other" device each time you want to
> switch. There are Plantronics models that allow for seamless switching,
> according to the ads, but I haven't seen that.
>
> Did you get it to pair, but got no audio? Did you "answer" the phone when
> you first connected to the PC?
>
> I have used the same BT headset on cellphones and PCs for Skype and other
> audio functions. I now have different ones paired to the phone and PC so I
> don't have to switch.
>
> --
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: 38.8,-122.5

- I did get it to pair.
- Got no audio.
- I had the cellphone off, so there was no issue with the computer/
cellphone contention for the same device.
- I tried dialing out with Skype to see if I can hear the ringing and
then the voice of the other party. No sound came through the headset,
and my voice did not go through.

Deguza

Kompu Kid

On Nov 1, 3:01 pm, Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kompu Kid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>

> > Can I use this with mybluetoothenabled computer while calling

> with
> > Skype, MSN, etc?

> A good place to start learning aboutBluetooth(BT) is:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
>
> Bluetoothdevices respond to certain "profiles" that define what
> the device is and what its use is for two reasons:
> 1-Whoever is in control of the services the device runs on wants
> to limit what other devices the device will operate with. Turn
> off the DUN (dial up networking) profile on a cellphone and it
> won't act as a modem for your laptop, for instance. Control
> freaks like Verizon Wireless comes to mind...(c;
>
> 2-To prevent interference between devices. Let's say your littleBluetoothnetwork has a cellphone, the cellphone's handsfree
> headset, your laptop, abluetoothprinter and a stereo headset or
> speaker on it in a 30' radius. Ever wonder why the cellphone
> talks to the handsfree earpiece but doesn't interfere with the
> music playing over the BT stereo speakers? That's because it
> will talk to the headset, but the computer won't, while the
> computer will talk to the BT speakers but not the handsfree. All
> this depends on what "profiles" each BT device supports.
>
> Now, in your case, you'd have to have the PROFILE of a handsfree
> headset running on your computer before the cellphone headset
> will talk to it, even though it WILL pair (communicate) with it,
> now. Pairing doesn't care about profiles, only about
> communications. You can pair the computer with the cellphone
> headset, but it probably won't operate it....and it CERTAINLY
> won't operate it if it is ALREADY paired and connected to your
> cellphone.
>
> Try pairing with it from the computer AFTER you turn the
> cellphone COMPLETELY OFF. See if that works.
>
> Larry
> --
> You can tell there's extremely
> intelligent life in the universe
> because they have never called Earth.

Larry,

How do I get the profile of the headset created on the PC?

BlueSoleil, the software that came with the bluetooth USB device has
certain devices defined . On of them depicts an icon similar to that
of handsfree headset. I used this in pairing.

I see on the BlueSoleil site (http://www.bluesoleil.com/products/
index.asp?topic=bt_headset) a bunch of headsets, but do not see my
Plantronics. Could this be the reason for not being able to use the
Plantronics?

Deguza

Larry

Kompu Kid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Larry,
>
> How do I get the profile of the headset created on the PC?
>
> BlueSoleil, the software that came with the bluetooth USB

device has
> certain devices defined . On of them depicts an icon similar to

that
> of handsfree headset. I used this in pairing.
>
> I see on the BlueSoleil site

(http://www.bluesoleil.com/products/
> index.asp?topic=bt_headset) a bunch of headsets, but do not see

my
> Plantronics. Could this be the reason for not being able to use

the
> Plantronics?
>
> Deguza

I'm beginning to think Bluetooth is a mistake. I spent EIGHT
HOURS at Alltel, today, trying to find a replacement BT phone for
my DEFECTIVE MOTO E815 that has a data software bug that won't
stay connected to Alltel. It's BT to my Nokia N800 internet
tablet worked GREAT! Connection was instant!

They tried to dump Moto Razr on me V3a, with NO INTERNET, NO
EVDO...damn them....Then they swapped that for Samsung's old SCH-
R500 that has old BT v1.2 in it. It won't DUN with the N800's BT
V2.0 and Samsung says it won't support DUN to anything.

I'm gonna try a MOTO ROKR in the morning when Alltel opens....

BT sucks more and more......as time goes by.

I think your and my problem of incompatibility is the result of
these damned manufacturers varying from the BT standards to add
glitz to their product for competitors. If it's not "on the
list", it's glitz isn't compatible with OUR GLITZ. All headsets
ought to have the SAME COMMS, dammit!

I can't help you. Hell, the manufacturers, themselves, refuse to
give BT support now it's gotten so bad!

Larry
--
WiMAX is coming.....just hang on a little longer....screw
SELLphones.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think your and my problem of incompatibility is the result of
>these damned manufacturers varying from the BT standards to add
>glitz to their product for competitors. If it's not "on the
>list", it's glitz isn't compatible with OUR GLITZ. All headsets
>ought to have the SAME COMMS, dammit!
>
>I can't help you. Hell, the manufacturers, themselves, refuse to
>give BT support now it's gotten so bad!

alt.cellular.nokia was full of people who had BT problems, Nokia at
the time only supported only Laptops and phones as their BT wasn't
standard.
--

Dangers of Juggling Bowling Balls
http://www.loanmeyoursister.com/?p=36

Larry

Kompu Kid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I see on the BlueSoleil site

(http://www.bluesoleil.com/products/
> index.asp?topic=bt_headset) a bunch of headsets, but do not see

my
> Plantronics. Could this be the reason for not being able to use

the
> Plantronics?

There are two confusing profiles on BT for headsets....stereo
headsets and handsfree cellphone headsets. I suppose they did
this so you could use a BT headset with your music player and
still use the cellphone headset with your phone simultaneously.
You CANNOT have two devices trying to pair with ONE headset on
the air simultaneously....While you're trying to pair your PC,
shut off your cellphone completely and see if that helps.

I got my Motorola ROKR Z6M's attention today by connecting to it
from my Nokia N800 internet tablet's file manager to copy files
over BT FTP. ONCE the ROKR was connected, IT PAIRED WITH THE
N800 OVER DUN AND PUT ME BACK ON THE NET! It refused to answer
the DUN call before answering that first FTP call. Now all the
DUN calls connect to the net immediately!

Alltel hasn't a clue....

Larry