Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > MacBook keyboard trouble

MacBook keyboard trouble

Murgi

Using this NG after having zero success in a Macintosh newsgroup:

My son presented me with his MacBook since I needed a laptop computer.
However, up to now I have been using PCs only, therefore he installed
Windows XP on my new machine.
Initially the desktop looked sharp and bright, but some days later, the
desktop looked rather dim. All attempts to bring the standard brightness
back failed.

Soon I realized that the built-in keyboard functions a bit different
than the keyboards connected to PCs. Somehow I found the following on
the Internet:

Computer Functions keys
MacBook Pro Shift-Control-F1 & Shift-Control-F2
iMac F14 & F15
Mac mini Not supported.

Shift-Control-F1 & Shift-Control-F2 doesn't work! The same goes for the
volume settings. [fn] plus F1 or F2 didn’t do the trick either.I have a

"MacBook" (not MacBook Pro)...

Then I was told by somebody that I needed the right driver for the
built-in keyboard. I installed the “Input Remapper 1.0.04” which can be
found here:
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...l\Open\Command

The initial brightness returned immediately, but some key combinations
got crazy! For example: Pressing the [fn] and the [delete] key functions
in the same way as if I press the [delete] key only! Both will start
erasing a word from the end to front…
Or pressing [fn] and [home, end, page up, page down] will advance the
cursor one step only (like using these keys without [fn]).

I uninstalled the Input Remapper and also removed 3 remaining
associated files by using the internal Search function, rebooted the
computer, and found the following:

The desktop looks dim again as before. However, using [fn] plus [delete]
or [fn] plus [home, end, page up, page down] still advances the cursor
one step only! I am completely puzzled…

What keys do I need to use for the MacBook? Where can I get the
appropriate keyboard driver? My son, who is no Mac guru either, won’t be
available for the next two weeks.
Meanwhile I am even willing to upgrade to Leopard although I only run
Windows XP and PC software. However, I don't know whether this will
remedy my present problems...

Can somebody please help out?

Thanks,
S. R.