Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Infected??? Firefox opens automatically.

Infected??? Firefox opens automatically.

Tech.Zoan@gmail.com

For the last couple of weeks, Firefox opens a new browsing window
sporadically. It doesn't matter if I'm browsing already or if Firefox
isn't running at all... a Firefox session will open up automatically.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 and ran a full virus scan but
found nothing. Also ran Ad-aware 2007 and Search & Destroy spyware
scanners... even in Safe Mode... but most of the time it finds nothing
but cookies... except Ad-aware did find a malware with a name like
A0100120.exe which it removed but it re-surfaced after a reboot... but
it doesn't always show up.

Also... not sure if it's related but my computer seems to "freeze" at
times but not entirely... the mouse works and i can work fine in some
windows but others behave erratically like clicking on a button will
close a window instead of opening one or it just won't do nothing. I
thought it might be java related since it seems to occur in windows
that make use of java. I have the latest java update and even that
window freezes on me when i try to click on the update button.

Any suggestions?

Tony

I'm baffled because you took all the steps i would've taken. That means
you've got it over at least 99.99 percent of the people that post to this
newsgroup. I've always used Kaspersky anti-virus and ad-aware pro or
ad-aware 2007. All that i can think of is are you using at least a
gigabyte of ram? Save the bookmarks file from Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox then uninstall mozilla firefox then delete the folder
from Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox. If it won't let you uninstall that
folder download something called unlocker around series 1.7.9 install it
right click on the folder and click on unlock then delete the folder.
Install firefox and overwrite the bookmark file with the bookmark file you
saved.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> For the last couple of weeks, Firefox opens a new browsing window
> sporadically. It doesn't matter if I'm browsing already or if Firefox
> isn't running at all... a Firefox session will open up automatically.
>
> I have Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 and ran a full virus scan but
> found nothing. Also ran Ad-aware 2007 and Search & Destroy spyware
> scanners... even in Safe Mode... but most of the time it finds nothing
> but cookies... except Ad-aware did find a malware with a name like
> A0100120.exe which it removed but it re-surfaced after a reboot... but
> it doesn't always show up.
>
> Also... not sure if it's related but my computer seems to "freeze" at
> times but not entirely... the mouse works and i can work fine in some
> windows but others behave erratically like clicking on a button will
> close a window instead of opening one or it just won't do nothing. I
> thought it might be java related since it seems to occur in windows
> that make use of java. I have the latest java update and even that
> window freezes on me when i try to click on the update button.
>
> Any suggestions?

Plato

> For the last couple of weeks, Firefox opens a new browsing window
> sporadically. It doesn't matter if I'm browsing already or if Firefox
> isn't running at all... a Firefox session will open up automatically.

For the future. Dont download ware you're lookig for free from a google
search. You will only have problems. Times have really changed in the
last year or so, even for "free" mp3s.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/