Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VTP question

VTP question

Trouble

If you have two diffrent VTP domains in your network running
transparent mode what happendes and will you can do and can not do???

Kevin Widner

>If you have two diffrent VTP domains in your network running
>transparent mode what happendes and will you can do and can not do???

If its in transparent mode, then nothing happens, and you can do
whatever you want!

Transparent mode effectively turns off VTP, and the switch is then only
concerned with its local vlan database.

BernieM

"Trouble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> If you have two diffrent VTP domains in your network running
> transparent mode what happendes and will you can do and can not do???

A DTP trunk will not come up between two switches that have different VTP
domains ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...80094c52.shtml

BernieM

Kevin Widner

>A DTP trunk will not come up between two switches that have different VTP
>domains ...

Since switches in transparent mode do not advertise their VTP domains
(or any VTP information), I fail to see how this works. I don't think
this applies to switches in transparent mode. Have you tested this?

-kw

BernieM

"Kevin Widner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >A DTP trunk will not come up between two switches that have different VTP
>>domains ...

> Since switches in transparent mode do not advertise their VTP domains
> (or any VTP information), I fail to see how this works. I don't think
> this applies to switches in transparent mode. Have you tested this?
>
> -kw

In this case it's not VTP that exchanging domain name information, it's DTP.
As the article says ...

"Dynamic Trunk Protocol (DTP) sends the VTP domain name in a DTP packet.
Therefore, if you have two ends of a link that belong to different VTP
domains, then the trunk does not come up if you use DTP. In this special
case, you need to configure the trunk mode as on or nonegotiate, on both
sides, to allow the trunk to come up without DTP negotiation agreement.."

Have I tested this? Yes. I found out the hard way, in production ...
luckilly the change was being done after hours and the switch at the other
end of the dark fibre link was only 2 Klms away

BernieM.

Kevin Widner

>Have I tested this? Yes. I found out the hard way, in production ...
>luckilly the change was being done after hours and the switch at the other
>end of the dark fibre link was only 2 Klms away

>BernieM.

Cool thanks. I never use DTP, so I don't know alot about it. I always
hard configure my trunks and turn the rest of the ports to "off". To
have DTP act in this way is absurd in my opinion. I can see the benefit
in protecting your vlans if you use VTP, but if both sides are
transparent anyway, what's the point?

VTP questions (multiple VTP servers on same domain) news8080@yahoo.com Cisco 1 05-30-2007 06:52 PM
VTP question Robert Hass Cisco 3 05-06-2006 12:28 PM
VTP Question On 3550 Amy L. Cisco 3 08-29-2004 05:44 PM
VTP Question (v2 Mode) Amy L. Cisco 0 07-08-2004 04:42 PM
Cisco VTP Architectural Question Chris Becerra Cisco 8 03-07-2004 10:16 AM

Advertisments