Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Help to implement OperationListener interface.

Help to implement OperationListener interface.

mike

Hi,

I have the following interface OperationListener interface ( it's for
an open source project I helping out with). Well the idea behind the
interface is to monitor operations taking place simlair to the
eclipse IProgressMonitor.

Then I have an operation like:

myApp.operationDel( file, operationListener);

I don't know how to implement the interface.

Any ideas ?

cheers,

mike

public interface OperationListener {

/**
* Notifies the receiver that the specified operation has started.
*
* @param amountOfWork
* the amount of expected work
*/
void startedOperation(int amountOfWork);

/** /**
* Notifies the receiver that the specified operation finished.
* <p>
* Note that t
* Notifies the receiver about progress of the specified
operation.
*
* @param ticks
* the progress
*/
void worked(int ticks);

/**
* Notifies the receiver that an operation is still ongoing but
* that no progress information is available.
*
*/
void ping();

/**
* Notifies the receiver that the specified operation finished.
* <p>
* Note that the listener may not be notified if an exeception
occurs while
* performing the operation.
* </p>
*/
void finishedOperation();

/**
* Notifies the caller if the operation should be canceled.
*
* @return <code>true</code> if the caller (the ClearCase
interface)
* should cancel the current operation, <code>false</code>
* otherwise
*/
boolean isCanceled();
}

Manish Pandit

On Oct 30, 10:54 am, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following interface OperationListener interface ( it's for
> an open source project I helping out with). Well the idea behind the
> interface is to monitor operations taking place simlair to the
> eclipse IProgressMonitor.
>
> Then I have an operation like:
>
> myApp.operationDel( file, operationListener);
>
> I don't know how to implement the interface.
>
> Any ideas ?

If I understood the problem statement correctly, I do not think you
have to implement the interface - you will need to call the interface
methods as you progress through the operationDel. The *caller* will
give you an implementation of this interface, which you will use as a
callback to notify the caller of various events, and the caller (I
suppose) will use this information to render a progressbar, or report
status via messages, etc.

For example, you will invoke operationListener.startedOperation(100);
where 100 is the % remaining. At the end, you will invoke
operationListener.finishedOperation().

Hope this helps!

-cheers,
Manish

mike

On 30 Okt, 19:04, Manish Pandit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 10:54 am, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > I have the following interface OperationListener interface ( it's for
> > an open source project I helping out with). Well the idea behind the
> > interface is to monitor operations taking place simlair to the
> > eclipse IProgressMonitor.

> > Then I have an operation like:

> > myApp.operationDel( file, operationListener);

> > I don't know how to implement the interface.

> > Any ideas ?

> If I understood the problem statement correctly, I do not think you
> have to implement the interface - you will need to call the interface
> methods as you progress through the operationDel. The *caller* will
> give you an implementation of this interface, which you will use as a
> callback to notify the caller of various events, and the caller (I
> suppose) will use this information to render a progressbar, or report
> status via messages, etc.
>
> For example, you will invoke operationListener.startedOperation(100);
> where 100 is the % remaining. At the end, you will invoke
> operationListener.finishedOperation().

Ok!

I am calling the interface as my task, operationDel, makes progress or
isCanceled.
Shall the class where I have my call:

myApp.operationDel( file, operationListener);

implement the interface. Seems like I cannot figure out how the
callback is working!
Or am I missing something here?

cheers,

mike

> Hope this helps!
>
> -cheers,
> Manish

Manish Pandit

On Oct 30, 11:18 am, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok!
>
> I am calling the interface as my task, operationDel, makes progress or
> isCanceled.
> Shall the class where I have my call:
>
> myApp.operationDel( file, operationListener);
>
> implement the interface. Seems like I cannot figure out how the
> callback is working!
> Or am I missing something here?

Either the caller, or any other class can implement this interface.
Whoever implements it needs to be passed to the method call. The
interface methods wil be called by the method call at various points,
and the implementation will receive these callbacks (it is also called
a hook), and can use that to perform any operation. For now, you can
log a message or do a System.out.println() to understand the flow and
the callback mechanism, later you can tie it to more complex solution,
like rendering a progressbar or something similar.

-cheers,
Manish

mike

On 30 Okt, 19:47, Manish Pandit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 11:18 am, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Ok!

> > I am calling the interface as my task, operationDel, makes progress or
> > isCanceled.
> > Shall the class where I have my call:

> > myApp.operationDel( file, operationListener);

> > implement the interface. Seems like I cannot figure out how the
> > callback is working!
> > Or am I missing something here?

> Either the caller, or any other class can implement this interface.
> Whoever implements it needs to be passed to the method call. The
> interface methods wil be called by the method call at various points,
> and the implementation will receive these callbacks (it is also called
> a hook), and can use that to perform any operation. For now, you can
> log a message or do a System.out.println() to understand the flow and
> the callback mechanism, later you can tie it to more complex solution,
> like rendering a progressbar or something similar.
>
> -cheers,
> Manish

Thanks Manish,

I get it now