Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > I can't see my network any more....

I can't see my network any more....

Scope

Hi all

If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

My "high-speed mode wireless G desktop network card" (FD57001) has stopped
working. It was working for just about a week after I installed it. I have
been
trawling through web forums looking for ideas to get it going again, but to
no avail.

I put my brand new Belkin router and wifi card in place, carefully following
the manufacturer's installation instructions as I did so,
and without any big problem everything worked first time. For about a week.
I have gone back to the cable connection to my router which gives me
internet access. It also allows me to check the router config which looks
fine. But my network card is not picking up anything - neither my network,
nor my neighbour's which I could see previously.
I have WEP-128 enabled on my router, but I don't get the opportunity to
enter the key as I can't see the network.
I am using W2K, and Norton Internet Security.

It seems that some background process is messing up the wifi card, but what
is it...???

Also - the Belkin wireless config utility has a diagnostic tool which tells
me that the card is working fine. The windows device manager tells me that
too.

any ideas?
thanks in advance

Enda

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Make sure that the Wireless Card is installed correctly by looking at the
device manger. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

Then temporarily disable all software firewalls Antivirus and AntiSpyware,
or any other special program that might intercept the TCP/IP Stack.

Disable the Wireless security in the Router and start from scratch.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Scope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2abca$43e11dec$c3a2d844$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi all
>
> If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.
>
> My "high-speed mode wireless G desktop network card" (FD57001) has stopped
> working. It was working for just about a week after I installed it. I have
> been
> trawling through web forums looking for ideas to get it going again, but
> no avail.
>
> I put my brand new Belkin router and wifi card in place, carefully
> following
> the manufacturer's installation instructions as I did so,
> and without any big problem everything worked first time. For about a
> week.
> I have gone back to the cable connection to my router which gives me
> internet access. It also allows me to check the router config which looks
> fine. But my network card is not picking up anything - neither my network,
> nor my neighbour's which I could see previously.
> I have WEP-128 enabled on my router, but I don't get the opportunity to
> enter the key as I can't see the network.
> I am using W2K, and Norton Internet Security.
>
> It seems that some background process is messing up the wifi card, but
> what
> is it...???
>
> Also - the Belkin wireless config utility has a diagnostic tool which
> tells
> me that the card is working fine. The windows device manager tells me that
> too.
>
> any ideas?
> thanks in advance
>
> Enda

Enda

Thanks for the reply.

I reinstalled the card (not for the first time), but this time using a
different slot.
I noticed that both my Ethernet card and wireless card were previously
sharing IRQ 19, but not any more.
Again, the installation went without a problem and I can now see the card in
the Windows device manager.
It says everything is ok, as does the Belkin diagnostics tool.

Disabling encryption and norton internet security doesn't change much. I
still can't see my network.

In different places I am getting messages like "network cable unplugged" and
"cable disconnected" (see below).
Does this mean simply that it can't find any wireless network or something
more serious, like a problem with the antenna?

thanks for any further help you can give

Enda

---------------------------

Windows 2000 IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : enda-bpwsq8vfk1
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Enda

Ethernet adapter Wifi card:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-3E-8B-98

Ethernet adapter Cable:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Enda
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast
Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E6-D9-51-B5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
195.162.196.3
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 February 2006 13:15:35
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

news:(E-Mail Removed)...