Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE7 vs Firefox

IE7 vs Firefox

Shelly

We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and Firefox.
We are working on the template for the page. It is
http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a small blue
bar near the bottom that doesn't appear in IE7 (it shouldn't be there). The
heights of all containers are automatic. We can't figure out why.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sheldon

Here is the css:
body {
background-color: #53381B;
}

#wrapper, #header, #container-out, #container, #container-in,
#content-holder, #footer, #trees{
margin: 0 auto;
}

#wrapper {
width: 900px;
}

#header {
height: 173px;
background-image: url(../i/img-header.jpg);
width: 900px;
}

#container-out {
width: 817px;
background-color: #6bd5d1;
}

#container {
width: 804px;
background-color: #77d265;
}

#container-in {
width: 793px;
background-color: #53381B;
}

#container-top {
width: 793px;
height: 3px;
background-image: url(../i/img-topbar.jpg);
}

#content-holder {
width: 787px;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
padding-top: 1px;
padding-bottom: 1px;
}

#footer {
width: 817px;
background-image: url(../i/img-footer.jpg);
height: 105px;
}

#trees {
width: 283px;
height: 186px;
position: absolute;
margin-left: 619px;
top: 625px;
}

..footer-text {
margin-top: 0 auto;
padding-top: 12px;
font-size: 12px;
font-weight: bold;
}

..main-text {
font-size: 14px;
margin-left: 30px;
margin-right: 30px;
}

..text-trees {
font-size: 14px;
margin-left: 30px;
margin-right: 250px;
}

..subheader {
font-size: 16px;
font-weight: bolder;
margin-left: 30px;
color: #77d265;
}

#mainleft {
font-size: 14px;
margin-left: 30px;
width: 240px;
float: left;
padding-bottom: 15px;
}

#maincenter {
font-size: 14px;
width: 240px;
float: left;
padding-bottom: 15px;
}

#mainright {
font-size: 14px;
width: 240px;
float: left;
padding-bottom: 15px;
}

li {
list-style-image: url(../i/img-bullet.jpg);
}

span {
margin-left: 3px;
color: #000000;
}

Harlan Messinger

Shelly wrote:
> We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and Firefox.
> We are working on the template for the page. It is
> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a small blue

Server Not Found.

Shelly

"Harlan Messinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shelly wrote:
>> We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and Firefox.
>> We are working on the template for the page. It is
>> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a small
>> blue

> Server Not Found.

My mistake:

http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.net/new/

Jim S

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:25:08 -0400, Shelly wrote:

> We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and Firefox.
> We are working on the template for the page. It is
> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a small blue
> bar near the bottom that doesn't appear in IE7 (it shouldn't be there). The
> heights of all containers are automatic. We can't figure out why.
>
> If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sheldon

No blue bar here in FF v2.0.08

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Shelly wrote:

>> Shelly wrote:
>>> We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and
>>> Firefox. We are working on the template for the page. It is
>>> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a
>>> small blue

> My mistake:
>
> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.net/new/

Start by correcting the errors. Perhaps the different browsers are
attempting to correct them in a different way.

<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fftp.blueskycampin surance.net%2Fnew%2F>
This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
Result: Failed validation, 29 Errors

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2F ftp.blueskycampinsurance.net%2Fnew%2F>
Sorry! We found the following errors

New pages should be Strict, not Transitional. You aren't transitioning
from any legacy pages. And use HTML 4.01 Strict, not XHTML. Google for
the hundreds of posts why.

Also, stop assigning font size in pixels. See:
http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

Seems you are suffering from div-itis.

--
-bts

Shelly

"Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hkq6mei4fbtq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:25:08 -0400, Shelly wrote:
>
>> We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and Firefox.
>> We are working on the template for the page. It is
>> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a small
>> blue
>> bar near the bottom that doesn't appear in IE7 (it shouldn't be there).
>> The
>> heights of all containers are automatic. We can't figure out why.
>>
>> If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Sheldon
>>

> No blue bar here in FF v2.0.08

I also have FF v2.0.08 and there is a blue area between the main content
area and the bottom grean area. That is the blue that I was talking about
that doesn't appear in IE7.

Sheldon

Jim S

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:41:27 -0400, Shelly wrote:

> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hkq6mei4fbtq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:25:08 -0400, Shelly wrote:
>>
>>> We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and Firefox.
>>> We are working on the template for the page. It is
>>> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a small
>>> blue
>>> bar near the bottom that doesn't appear in IE7 (it shouldn't be there).
>>> The
>>> heights of all containers are automatic. We can't figure out why.
>>>
>>> If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Sheldon
>>>

>> No blue bar here in FF v2.0.08

> I also have FF v2.0.08 and there is a blue area between the main content
> area and the bottom grean area. That is the blue that I was talking about
> that doesn't appear in IE7.
>
> Sheldon

Yes you're right.
I would take note of Beauregard and use this site
http://validator.w3.org/#validate-by-upload
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Ben C

On 2007-10-30, Shelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hkq6mei4fbtq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:25:08 -0400, Shelly wrote:
>>
>>> We am having a real problem with CSS consistency between IE7 and Firefox.
>>> We are working on the template for the page. It is
>>> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.org/new. In Firefox there is a small
>>> blue
>>> bar near the bottom that doesn't appear in IE7 (it shouldn't be there).
>>> The
>>> heights of all containers are automatic. We can't figure out why.
>>>
>>> If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Sheldon
>>>

>> No blue bar here in FF v2.0.08

> I also have FF v2.0.08 and there is a blue area between the main content
> area and the bottom grean area. That is the blue that I was talking about
> that doesn't appear in IE7.

It's the top margin on <p class="footer-text"> which in FF is correctly
collapsing with the top margin of <div id="footer">.

Either add margin-top: 0 to the p, or if you want the margin, but not to
have it collapsed, put padding-top: 1px on #footer.

Shelly

Thank you very much. We will look into these.

Sheldon

news:aQIVi.301930$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shelly wrote:

>> My mistake:
>>
>> http://ftp.blueskycampinsurance.net/new/

> Start by correcting the errors. Perhaps the different browsers are
> attempting to correct them in a different way.
>
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fftp.blueskycampin surance.net%2Fnew%2F>
> This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
> Result: Failed validation, 29 Errors
>
> <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2F ftp.blueskycampinsurance.net%2Fnew%2F>
> Sorry! We found the following errors
>
> New pages should be Strict, not Transitional. You aren't transitioning
> from any legacy pages. And use HTML 4.01 Strict, not XHTML. Google for
> the hundreds of posts why.
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>
> Also, stop assigning font size in pixels. See:
> http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
>
> Seems you are suffering from div-itis.

> --
> -bts

Shelly

"Ben C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It's the top margin on <p class="footer-text"> which in FF is correctly

> collapsing with the top margin of <div id="footer">.
>
> Either add margin-top: 0 to the p, or if you want the margin, but not to
> have it collapsed, put padding-top: 1px on #footer.

Thank you very much.

Sheldon