Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > using translate as a REAL end-to-end x25 to tcp gateway?

using translate as a REAL end-to-end x25 to tcp gateway?

RedRat

Hi all,

I've a 2611xm that I want to use has a REAL end-to-end x25<->TCP
gateway. I need to receive a lot of small (few bytes) x25 calls and
translate them to TCP connections handled by a Server.

The problem is that it seems the Cisco translate command is NOT a
"gateway". What do I mean by end-to-end gateway? I mean the real
translation of x25<->TCP signalling, ex. Call Setup -> SYN, RR -> ACK, etc.

Next I present the MSC of what I'm seeing in my cisco with the following
translate line on my running config,

"translate x25 10105 tcp 10.154.0.190 port 10023 stream quiet"

When the server is listenning on port 10023:

Server | CISCO | PSDN
TCP TCP x25 x25
| | |<--CallSetup(10105)----|
| | |---CallConf----------->|
|<----SYN-------|<------| |
|-----SYNACK--->|buffer?|<-----DATA-------------|
|<----ACK-------| |------RR-------------->|
|<-----DATA-----| |<-----DATA-------------|
|<-----DATA-----| |------RR-------------->|
|------ACK----->| |<---CallClear----------|
| | |----ClearConf--------->|
|<----FIN-------| | |
|-----FINACK--->| | |
|-----FIN------>| | |
|<----FINACK----| | |

This works OK althoug it's not a REAL end-to-end gateway because the x25
call is terminated AT and BY the Cisco. Data is acknowledge by the x25
terminating PAD on the cisco and not by the remote TCP stack on the Server.

When the server is DOWN:

Server | CISCO | PSDN
TCP TCP x25 x25
| | |<--CallSetup(10105)----|
| | |---CallConf----------->|
|<----SYN-------|<------| |
| |buffer?|<-----DATA-------------|
| | |------RR-------------->|
| | |<-----DATA-------------|
| | |------RR-------------->|
| Timeout->|~3s--->|---CallClear---------->|
| | |<---ClearConf----------|

Here is the BIG problem! If my server is down or there is a network
problem the data is acknowledge halfway by the x25 PAD but NEVER
delivered to the Server. The x25 calling party "thinks" the data was
successfully delivered, which is dead wrong! I need to guarantee that
ALL data is delivered, no matter how remote is the chance that the
Server is down/unreachable.

What I was expecting from "translate" to do was:

(Server DOWN)

Server | CISCO | PSDN
TCP TCP x25 x25
|<----SYN-------| |<--CallSetup(10105)----|
| Timeout->|------>|---CallClear---------->|

(Server UP)

Server | CISCO | PSDN
TCP TCP x25 x25
|<----SYN-------|<------|<--CallSetup(10105)----|
|-----SYNACK--->|------>|---CallConf----------->|
|<----ACK-------| |
|<----DATA------|<------|<-----DATA-------------|
|-----ACK------>|------>|------RR-------------->|
|<----DATA------|<------|<-----DATA-------------|
|-----ACK------>|------>|------RR-------------->|
|<----FIN-------|<------|<---CallClear----------|
|-----FINACK--->| | |
|-----FIN------>|------>|----ClearConf--------->|
|<----FINACK----| | |

Is there a way to modify/configure the translate behavior to suite my needs?

Thanks in advance to all,

RLaskas

Aaron Leonard

If you turn on TCP keepalives on the router that's doing the
protocol translation, does this solve the problem of the router
being aware of the case where the TCP server has gone unreachable?

Aaron

---

~ Hi all,
~
[...]

Monitoring maximum number of X25 VC's used Neil Pike Cisco 0 03-02-2004 03:28 PM
X25 translation Sean James Cisco 0 01-28-2004 02:12 PM
Translate from TCP to X.25 JR Cisco 2 01-20-2004 08:57 AM
make an as5300 modem dial out when receiving an x25 call request. bill mcwilliams Cisco 1 12-09-2003 11:42 PM
X25 over IP to a Solaris server Schmuck Cisco 0 11-11-2003 09:19 PM

Advertisments