Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox font is to light/faint

Firefox font is to light/faint

Lord Turkey Cough

"FoxWolfie Galen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:39:55 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

>> > Looks just fine to me.

>> I think you are mistaken.

> Try pasting this to your userContent.css file.
>

> /* Force fonts to be bold */
> * {
> font-weight: bold !important;
> }
>

> I use bold for all of my Firefox fonts because the defaults are simply too
> light and thin for me to read. The main drawback is that things that are
> supposed to be bold no longer stand out from the rest. Since my eyes
> aren't
> perfect, just making it so I can read the text was most important. I
> actually think there should be a font-weight setting in the UI, so people
> with poor vision can increase the thickness of their fonts more easily,
> without otherwise changing the size. At least Firefox lets users adjust
> things like this using userContent.css.
>
> When you make any changes, be sure you are using an editor that saves the
> file as plain text, with no special formatting. You will have to restart
> Firefox after each change for it to take effect.
>
> You can also add
>
> font-family: sans-serif !important;
>
> and/or
>
> font-size: 17px !important;
>
> after the font-weight line, but before the closing } character. You can
> specify serif or sans-serif. (Serifs are those little lines that are added
> to characters in fonts like Times Roman. The best way to see the
> difference
> between serif and sans-serif is to look at both and compare them. Arial is
> an example of a sans-serif font.
>
> If you specify a font size here, it will likely apply to most everything.
> This is not something most people would want, but it is often required by
> some people with low vinson, and for those who want to limit their fonts
> a specified size.

I think that people with poor vsision wold be better of with Internet
Explorer.
You can easily view at up to 4X the size.

Justin

Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:18:01 GMT]:

> "FoxWolfie Galen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:39:55 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

>>> I think you are mistaken.

>> Try pasting this to your userContent.css file.
>>

>> /* Force fonts to be bold */
>> * {
>> font-weight: bold !important;
>> }
>>

>> I use bold for all of my Firefox fonts because the defaults are simply too
>> light and thin for me to read. The main drawback is that things that are
>> supposed to be bold no longer stand out from the rest. Since my eyes
>> aren't
>> perfect, just making it so I can read the text was most important. I
>> actually think there should be a font-weight setting in the UI, so people
>> with poor vision can increase the thickness of their fonts more easily,
>> without otherwise changing the size. At least Firefox lets users adjust
>> things like this using userContent.css.
>>
>> When you make any changes, be sure you are using an editor that saves the
>> file as plain text, with no special formatting. You will have to restart
>> Firefox after each change for it to take effect.
>>
>> You can also add
>>
>> font-family: sans-serif !important;
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> font-size: 17px !important;
>>
>> after the font-weight line, but before the closing } character. You can
>> specify serif or sans-serif. (Serifs are those little lines that are added
>> to characters in fonts like Times Roman. The best way to see the
>> difference
>> between serif and sans-serif is to look at both and compare them. Arial is
>> an example of a sans-serif font.
>>
>> If you specify a font size here, it will likely apply to most everything.
>> This is not something most people would want, but it is often required by
>> some people with low vinson, and for those who want to limit their fonts
>> a specified size.

> I think that people with poor vsision wold be better of with Internet
> Explorer.
> You can easily view at up to 4X the size.

I guess it's super hard to press control+

Quivis

On 30 okt 2007, Rom<(E-Mail Removed)>, had the following to say to the
folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is
> Firefox in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

The one on the left is Fx.
--
Quivis
--

FoxWolfie Galen

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:18:01 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think that people with poor vsision wold be better of with Internet
> Explorer.
> You can easily view at up to 4X the size.

I have poor vision, and I certainly have no desire to use Internet
Explorer. It's more than easy enough to customize Firefox to do what is
required. Sometimes it requires assistance from other users in the
newsgroups, but people are generally helpful in that area. Also, many
things I've done to my Firefox where found by google searching for what I
wanted. If I used IE, many things I am used to and enjoy wouldn't even be
possible.
--
FoxWolfie

FoxWolfie Galen

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:57:17 -0500, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I guess it's super hard to press control+

That doesn't solve the OPs problem, where it was clearly stated that the
fonts where to faint or thin. Pressing Ctrl+ will make the fonts larger,
but not thicker. Larger fonts tend to create problems of their own, such as
pages needing a horizontal scroll bar, or positioned text overflowing onto
other text or images. Just making the existing size text a little thicker
is what the OP was apparently asking for. It is fairly easy to accomplish,
using the userContent.css file. If anyone knows a more simple way to
increase font thickness, without affecting overall font size, I'd like to
hear it, and would probably use it myself.

Another option that might work is to try various other fonts. Some are
simply thicker than each other and may be more readable. I use Comin-Sans
for my main font, because it is fairly thick. There are even bolder
options, like Arial Black, but that one looked a bit ugly to me. Times
Roman is probably one of the thinnest and hardest to read fonts I've ever
encountered, but like most things in Firefox, the font weight can be
changed without needing to change the font size.
--
FoxWolfie

Rom

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 04:42:17 -0500, FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

> Larger fonts tend to create problems of their own, such as
> pages needing a horizontal scroll bar, or positioned text overflowing onto
> other text or images. Just making the existing size text a little thicker
> is what the OP was apparently asking for. It is fairly easy to accomplish,
> using the userContent.css file. If anyone knows a more simple way to
> increase font thickness, without affecting overall font size, I'd like to
> hear it, and would probably use it myself.

There's many factors involved and need to look at the big picture,
because if there's a problem in one app there's likely to be problems
in other apps or the OS too, as we have different vision, monitors,
resolutions and OSs.

On a 19" CRT with 1024x768 resolution I found going above 104 DPI
caused some problems. LCDs are better in a lot of ways and ClearType
really helps, as long as the LCD is large enough and has a reasonable
native resolution. On a 19" WS LCD with 1440x900 native resolution,
104 DPI was again about the limit without problems. That change makes
a difference so any further font fine-tuning needed can be done in
apps where reading text is most important. Changing the DPI up a bit
and/or using ClearType are system-wide.

In Firefox I've set fonts and sizes I prefer to use if not specified,
use NoSquint which also helps (or not), and prefer to see the styles
like bold.

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution.

> Another option that might work is to try various other fonts. Some are
> simply thicker than each other and may be more readable.

I like fonts that have some 'weight' with the letters and lines
spaced. For example, Verdana, Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, Segoe UI and
Consolas (both in Vista). But don't like 'squashed' and thin fonts
like Arial.

--
Rom

Lord Turkey Cough

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:18:01 GMT]:
>>
>> "FoxWolfie Galen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Try pasting this to your userContent.css file.
>>>

>>> /* Force fonts to be bold */
>>> * {
>>> font-weight: bold !important;
>>> }
>>>

>>> I use bold for all of my Firefox fonts because the defaults are simply
>>> too
>>> light and thin for me to read. The main drawback is that things that are
>>> supposed to be bold no longer stand out from the rest. Since my eyes
>>> aren't
>>> perfect, just making it so I can read the text was most important. I
>>> actually think there should be a font-weight setting in the UI, so
>>> people
>>> with poor vision can increase the thickness of their fonts more easily,
>>> without otherwise changing the size. At least Firefox lets users adjust
>>> things like this using userContent.css.
>>>
>>> When you make any changes, be sure you are using an editor that saves
>>> the
>>> file as plain text, with no special formatting. You will have to restart
>>> Firefox after each change for it to take effect.
>>>
>>> You can also add
>>>
>>> font-family: sans-serif !important;
>>>
>>> and/or
>>>
>>> font-size: 17px !important;
>>>
>>> after the font-weight line, but before the closing } character. You can
>>> specify serif or sans-serif. (Serifs are those little lines that are
>>> added
>>> to characters in fonts like Times Roman. The best way to see the
>>> difference
>>> between serif and sans-serif is to look at both and compare them. Arial
>>> is
>>> an example of a sans-serif font.
>>>
>>> If you specify a font size here, it will likely apply to most
>>> everything.
>>> This is not something most people would want, but it is often required
>>> by
>>> some people with low vinson, and for those who want to limit their fonts
>>> a specified size.

>> I think that people with poor vsision wold be better of with Internet
>> Explorer.
>> You can easily view at up to 4X the size.

> I guess it's super hard to press control+

That does not work very well, picture stay the same size ,it quickly looks a
mess.
IE magnifies the whole page and it works much better.

Also itis quite hard to press <cntrl><shift>+ it requires both hands, so if
you
have poor eyesight and one arm you are stuck!!

Justin

Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Sun, 04 Nov 2007 23:06:59 GMT]:

> That does not work very well, picture stay the same size ,it quickly looks a
> mess.

> IE magnifies the whole page and it works much better.

Why would you want to magnify the pictures when your problem is text
size?

> Also itis quite hard to press <cntrl><shift>+ it requires both hands, so if
> you
> have poor eyesight and one arm you are stuck!!

It's quite easy to do with one hand, thumb on **** and control and
pointer on +

Lord Turkey Cough

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Sun, 04 Nov 2007 23:06:59 GMT]:
>>
>> That does not work very well, picture stay the same size ,it quickly
>> looks a
>> mess.

>> IE magnifies the whole page and it works much better.

> Why would you want to magnify the pictures when your problem is text
> size?

A good question but the answer is astonishingly simple.

People who have poor eyesight have problems seeing things.
'Things' is a set which includes the subsets 'fonts' and 'picture details'

Thus.....and here is the really clever bit, one can deduce using the logic
found in a typical 4 year old child, that someone who had a problem
seeing things in one subset, would have problems seeing things in another
subset.

>> Also itis quite hard to press <cntrl><shift>+ it requires both hands, so
>> if
>> you
>> have poor eyesight and one arm you are stuck!!

> It's quite easy to do with one hand, thumb on **** and control and
> pointer on +

Why would you want to put your thumb on some ****?

Justin

Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:16 GMT]:

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Sun, 04 Nov 2007 23:06:59 GMT]:
>>>
>>> That does not work very well, picture stay the same size ,it quickly
>>> looks a
>>> mess.

>>> IE magnifies the whole page and it works much better.

>> Why would you want to magnify the pictures when your problem is text
>> size?

> A good question but the answer is astonishingly simple.
>
> People who have poor eyesight have problems seeing things.
> 'Things' is a set which includes the subsets 'fonts' and 'picture details'
>
> Thus.....and here is the really clever bit, one can deduce using the logic
> found in a typical 4 year old child, that someone who had a problem
> seeing things in one subset, would have problems seeing things in another
> subset.

However, said logic applied to the original question which stated that the
IE font was perfectly acceptable precludes wanting images resized.

>> It's quite easy to do with one hand, thumb on **** and control and
>> pointer on +

> Why would you want to put your thumb on some ****?

A good question, but the answer is astonishingly simple. One can deduce
from the surrounding context that a letter was left by the wayside.