Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox font is to light/faint

Firefox font is to light/faint

Lord Turkey Cough

As above.
I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
to read, the characters look to thin and faint.

The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
uses such a **** poor washed out font.

Can anyone tell me how to make the font look thicker
and bolder as it does in the IE default font.
I tried changing it in FF but I caould only seem to change
the size, the font never really changed which ever I chose
in options.Actually I can change it now by overriding the
font the web page wants to use but it still looks shyte,
thin cheap font. It looks like shyte what ever I try.

It says IE uses Times new roman, but when I set that up
in FF its clear they are different.
For example in IE there is no litte bar at the end of the horizontal
two lines on a capital F as there was in that one (assuming yyou
have correct font to see it!!)

Help!!

Stacis

Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
> As above.
> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.

Mine looks fine. It seems you've screwed with something you shouldn't.

Rom

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

> As above.
> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
>
> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
> uses such a **** poor washed out font.

Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

The page chose the font and is using Arial.

> Can anyone tell me how to make the font look thicker
> and bolder as it does in the IE default font.

My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.

Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

--
Rom

Lord Turkey Cough

"Stacis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fg6t3f$jp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>> As above.
>> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
>> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
>> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.

> Mine looks fine. It seems you've screwed with something you shouldn't.

Not it's basicall the default settings as i is with IE.
That was how it was 'out of the box' ie crap.

I had not changed anything first time I even looked at fonts
etc

Lord Turkey Cough

"Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>
>> As above.
>> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
>> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
>> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
>>
>> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
>> uses such a **** poor washed out font.

> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
closest
marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.

I have taken a picture of my font.
I just need an easyway to share it.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1

OK Click on full size.
No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
Pathetic isn't it!

> The page chose the font and is using Arial.
>
>> Can anyone tell me how to make the font look thicker
>> and bolder as it does in the IE default font.

> My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.
>
> Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

It is I have never messed with it.

> Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
> It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
> sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

Will try that but I tried increasing the size, it's just easier to see how
**** it looks.

> --
> Rom

Lord Turkey Cough

"Lord Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WkNVi.5232$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>>
>>> As above.
>>> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
>>> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
>>> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
>>>
>>> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
>>> uses such a **** poor washed out font.

>> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
>> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
>> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
> closest
> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
>
> I have taken a picture of my font.
> I just need an easyway to share it.
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
>
> OK Click on full size.
> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
> Pathetic isn't it!
>

>> The page chose the font and is using Arial.
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to make the font look thicker
>>> and bolder as it does in the IE default font.

>> My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.
>>
>> Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

> It is I have never messed with it.
>

>> Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
>> It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
>> sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

> Will try that but I tried increasing the size, it's just easier to see how
> **** it looks.

Not even gonna try, magnification won't work.

>> --
>> Rom

Lord Turkey Cough

"Lord Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newspNVi.102890$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Lord Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WkNVi.5232$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
>>> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
>>> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

>> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
>> closest
>> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
>>
>> I have taken a picture of my font.
>> I just need an easyway to share it.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
>>
>> OK Click on full size.
>> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
>> Pathetic isn't it!
>>

>>> The page chose the font and is using Arial.

>>> My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.
>>>
>>> Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

>> It is I have never messed with it.
>>

>>> Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
>>> It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
>>> sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

>> Will try that but I tried increasing the size, it's just easier to see
>> how **** it looks.

> Not even gonna try, magnification won't work.

I have just downloaded and installed FF from scratch and it
stil looks ****.

John Thompson

On 2007-10-30, Lord Turkey Cough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have just downloaded and installed FF from scratch and it
> stil looks ****.

I suspect something local to your setup. My wife just bought a brand new
Vista machine last weekend and we installed Firefox on it. Fonts are
just fine.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Rom

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:27:18 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

> "Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>>
>>> As above.
>>> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
>>> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
>>> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
>>>
>>> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
>>> uses such a **** poor washed out font.

>> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
>> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
>> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
> closest
> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.

There's not that much difference with IE7 and Firefox font defaults
here in Vista with 19" LCD widescreen and 1440x900 native resolution.

> I have taken a picture of my font.
> I just need an easyway to share it.
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
>
> OK Click on full size.
> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
> Pathetic isn't it!

I see the difference with IE7 and Firefox in your image.
Your using XP and a 1280x1024 resolution.

Have you tried ClearType and tuning it?
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx>

There's an online tuner (might (not) work with Firefox):
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx>,
and there's a downloadable PowerToy for XP:
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx>

ClearType helped in general when I used XP (CRT and LCD).

--
Rom

Lord Turkey Cough

"John Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org...
> On 2007-10-30, Lord Turkey Cough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have just downloaded and installed FF from scratch and it
>> stil looks ****.

> I suspect something local to your setup. My wife just bought a brand new
> Vista machine last weekend and we installed Firefox on it. Fonts are
> just fine.

It seems you need cleartype set in control pannel - display - appearance -
effects
in second box down. Assuming it is an LCD monitor.

However IE manages to get it right without this set, setting it fixed it for
me
but it also changes things else where such as in OE where I never had any
problem.
However that is not really a problem, things just look a bit different,
bolder text,
I will get used to it, it was fine as it was.