Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > problems with table layout

problems with table layout

richard

I am trying out a couple of layouts for presenting some information in
table format. Basically, two tables side by side.

Table 1: 3 rows, one column fixed width.
table 2: A calendar format with 3 rows.

In FF they are displayed as I want them. Even if I include an overflow
to force a horizontal scrollbar. Ok I know. But if horizontal
scrollbars are not desired, then why do we have them?
In IE the overflow is totally ignored.

Should I happen to have in table 1, a 4th line of text, then the <hr>
I use as a seperator, shows up floating beside table 1, not underneath
it as it should.
Easily fixed with a <br> but I feel that should not be necessary.

In IE, A horizontal scroll bar is not displayed until the data is
forced way beyond the edge unlike in FF. Then table 2 drops below
table 1 which is not where I want it.

In another format, I simply place table 2 under table 1. Which is ok
but just doesn't look right.

Anyone have a site that discusses this problem and how to work around
it so that the browsers are satisfied and the tables show as I want?

Jonathan N. Little

richard wrote:
> I am trying out a couple of layouts for presenting some information in
> table format. Basically, two tables side by side.
>
> Table 1: 3 rows, one column fixed width.
> table 2: A calendar format with 3 rows.
>
> In FF they are displayed as I want them. Even if I include an overflow
> to force a horizontal scrollbar. Ok I know. But if horizontal
> scrollbars are not desired, then why do we have them?
> In IE the overflow is totally ignored.
>
> Should I happen to have in table 1, a 4th line of text, then the <hr>
> I use as a seperator, shows up floating beside table 1, not underneath
> it as it should.
> Easily fixed with a <br> but I feel that should not be necessary.
>
> In IE, A horizontal scroll bar is not displayed until the data is
> forced way beyond the edge unlike in FF. Then table 2 drops below
> table 1 which is not where I want it.
>

> In another format, I simply place table 2 under table 1. Which is ok
> but just doesn't look right.

And we can actually see this page at URL...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

richard

On Oct 29, 9:48 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> richard wrote:
> > I am trying out a couple of layouts for presenting some information in
> > table format. Basically, two tables side by side.

> > Table 1: 3 rows, one column fixed width.
> > table 2: A calendar format with 3 rows.

> > In FF they are displayed as I want them. Even if I include an overflow
> > to force a horizontal scrollbar. Ok I know. But if horizontal
> > scrollbars are not desired, then why do we have them?
> > In IE the overflow is totally ignored.

> > Should I happen to have in table 1, a 4th line of text, then the <hr>
> > I use as a seperator, shows up floating beside table 1, not underneath
> > it as it should.
> > Easily fixed with a <br> but I feel that should not be necessary.

> > In IE, A horizontal scroll bar is not displayed until the data is
> > forced way beyond the edge unlike in FF. Then table 2 drops below
> > table 1 which is not where I want it.

> > In another format, I simply place table 2 under table 1. Which is ok
> > but just doesn't look right.

> And we can actually see this page at URL...

Read the last line.

Jonathan N. Little

richard wrote:
> On Oct 29, 9:48 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>> And we can actually see this page at URL...
>>

> Read the last line.

A solution can be found on a webpage.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

richard

On Oct 29, 4:21 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> richard wrote:
> > On Oct 29, 9:48 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> And we can actually see this page at URL...

> > Read the last line.

> A solution can be found on a webpage.

As well as reading. It would appear that this is an issue with IE7
itself. The scrolling as desired will take place but only under
certain circumstances.

Jonathan N. Little

richard wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:21 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>> Read the last line.

>> A solution can be found on a webpage.
>>

> As well as reading. It would appear that this is an issue with IE7
> itself. The scrolling as desired will take place but only under
> certain circumstances.

Okay. Well good luck with that.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Chaddy2222

On Oct 30, 1:34 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> richard wrote:
> > On Oct 29, 4:21 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> A solution can be found on a webpage.

> > As well as reading. It would appear that this is an issue with IE7
> > itself. The scrolling as desired will take place but only under
> > certain circumstances.

> Okay. Well good luck with that.

And people wonder why the regulars in these groups get ****ed off with
a lot of the newbies!.
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

Travis Newbury

On Oct 29, 10:47 am, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying out a couple of layouts for presenting some information in
> table format. Basically, two tables side by side....
> Anyone have a site that discusses this problem and how to work

around
> it so that the browsers are satisfied and the tables show as I want?

The solution is a simple one. You can find it at this URL:

Andy Dingley

On 29 Oct, 14:47, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying out a couple of layouts for presenting some information in
> table format. Basically, two tables side by side.

So this is _NOT_ a question about laying out <table>s, it's about how
to lay out two plain old HTML boxes next to each other. So use CSS and
do it with float. This isn't easy, and it's certainly not as easy as
people think to start out with. However a very good tutorial is over
here:
<http://brainjar.com/css/positioning/>

Be warned that many newsgroups (for obscure but excellent historical
reasons) have a real problem with new or unknown posters called
"richard". The slightest sign of forgiveable naivety (not posting URLs
to your work so far isn't popular) is likely to see you labelled as a
total idiot and ignored. As you also appear to post to trucking
newsgroups, it's probably justified. If you post to trucking
newsgroups you'll probably understand why, even if you don't deserve
it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Andy Dingley wrote:

> Be warned that many newsgroups (for obscure but excellent historical
> reasons) have a real problem with new or unknown posters called
> "richard". The slightest sign of forgiveable naivety (not posting URLs
> to your work so far isn't popular) is likely to see you labelled as a
> total idiot and ignored. As you also appear to post to trucking
> newsgroups, it's probably justified. If you post to trucking
> newsgroups you'll probably understand why, even if you don't deserve
> it.

This "richard" is of course Bullis.

From: richard <(E-Mail Removed)>

--
-bts

Layout suggestions - table layout sso Java 6 04-30-2009 05:17 AM
Css-Layout vs Table-Layout Habib HTML 15 06-20-2006 05:11 AM
Table-based layout to CSS layout Guybrush Threepwood HTML 20 06-11-2006 11:12 AM