Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU & PSU fan spin constantly

CPU & PSU fan spin constantly

harryoid

Old MSI KM2M + Athlon 1800+ being rebuilt for a friend has an unusual quirk.

As soon as the PSU is plugged into the mains, the CPU & PSU fans start
kicking over at full speed.

It operates fine, but after selecting Shutdown, the display, harddrives and
everything else shuts down like normal, but the PSU and CPU fan keeping
running, unless I disconnect from the mains.

Any ideas?

thanatoid

"harryoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4725b8dc$0$6689$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Old MSI KM2M + Athlon 1800+ being rebuilt for a friend has
> an unusual quirk.
>
> As soon as the PSU is plugged into the mains, the CPU & PSU
> fans start kicking over at full speed.
>
> It operates fine, but after selecting Shutdown, the
> display, harddrives and everything else shuts down like
> normal, but the PSU and CPU fan keeping running, unless I
> disconnect from the mains.
>
> Any ideas?

Just an uneducated guess, but I think someone connected the fans
wrong - possibly thinking it was an "improvement". A technician
should be able to fix it right away. Ask first before dragging
the thing over there.

If you can't fix it, you should get a UPS or at least a decent
power bar and power up/down everything with one switch. That
will take care of it too.