Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Image Stitching

Reply
Thread Tools

Digital Image Stitching

 
 
ChrisM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
Hi,

Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a pro or
anything like that.
One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and 'stitch'
them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes, 360 degree pictures
of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for some cheap (pref. free)
software that will do (or is it help me with doing?) this.
I've heard about GIMP which is apparantly free, and is quite well featured.
Can I do what I need with that? Is there some other free software that will
help? Or do I need to stop being so tight-fisted, and buy something like
Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop...?

--
Regards,
Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
N
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007

"ChrisM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a pro or
> anything like that.
> One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and 'stitch'
> them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes, 360 degree
> pictures of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for some cheap (pref.
> free) software that will do (or is it help me with doing?) this.
> I've heard about GIMP which is apparantly free, and is quite well
> featured. Can I do what I need with that? Is there some other free
> software that will help? Or do I need to stop being so tight-fisted, and
> buy something like Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop...?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Chris.
> (Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)
>


Take a look at autostitch.
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ChrisM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
In message 4725b735$0$17152$(E-Mail Removed),
N <(E-Mail Removed)> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

> "ChrisM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a
>> pro or anything like that.
>> One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and
>> 'stitch' them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes,
>> 360 degree pictures of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for
>> some cheap (pref. free) software that will do (or is it help me with
>> doing?) this. I've heard about GIMP which is apparantly free, and is
>> quite well
>> featured. Can I do what I need with that? Is there some other free
>> software that will help? Or do I need to stop being so tight-fisted,
>> and buy something like Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop...?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Chris.
>> (Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)
>>

>
> Take a look at autostitch.
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html


Well, that's pretty impresive. With the demo images anyway.
It's either very clever, or a trick... can't wait to try it out with some of
my own pictures...
Watch this space, and I'll let you know how well it works.

--
Regards,
Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
On Oct 29, 4:30 am, "ChrisM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a pro or
> anything like that.
> One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and 'stitch'
> them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes, 360 degree pictures
> of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for some cheap (pref. free)
> software that will do (or is it help me with doing?) this.
> I've heard about GIMP which is apparantly free, and is quite well featured.
> Can I do what I need with that? Is there some other free software that will
> help? Or do I need to stop being so tight-fisted, and buy something like
> Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop...?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Chris.
> (Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)


Depending on what you spent on a camera, something like Elements or
PSP may be a lot cheaper than what you spend on hardware. Yet a good
editing program that you are comfortable with can be as important as
the hardware you use. Many of the editing programs offer free trial
versions. I'd download a couple- play with them for awhile, then pop
for a hundred bucks or so for whichever you like best (including
GIMP). Yeah, Photoshop CS is great, but very expensive. You can find
stuff almost as good for a lot less money.


 
Reply With Quote
 
ChrisM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
In message (E-Mail Removed) om,
Don Stauffer in Minnesota <(E-Mail Removed)> Proclaimed from the
tallest tower:

> On Oct 29, 4:30 am, "ChrisM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a
>> pro or anything like that.
>> One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and
>> 'stitch' them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes,
>> 360 degree pictures of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for
>> some cheap (pref. free) software that will do (or is it help me with
>> doing?) this.
>> I've heard about GIMP which is apparantly free, and is quite well
>> featured. Can I do what I need with that? Is there some other free
>> software that will help? Or do I need to stop being so tight-fisted,
>> and buy something like Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop...?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Chris.
>> (Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)

>
> Depending on what you spent on a camera, something like Elements or
> PSP may be a lot cheaper than what you spend on hardware. Yet a good
> editing program that you are comfortable with can be as important as
> the hardware you use. Many of the editing programs offer free trial
> versions. I'd download a couple- play with them for awhile, then pop
> for a hundred bucks or so for whichever you like best (including
> GIMP). Yeah, Photoshop CS is great, but very expensive. You can find
> stuff almost as good for a lot less money.



Thanks for your suggestions, just to give you an idea, I only spent about
150 (~$300) on my camera, so not keen on spending too much on software, at
least at first anyway...
To refer back to my original question, though do all of the above do
'stitching' of images? I appreciate that I could find out for myself by
downloading all the various demos and trying them out, but it would save me
a lot of effort if someone could give me the benefit of their experience as
to which programs are best for stitching images together.

--
Regards,
Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)


 
Reply With Quote
 
bugbear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
ChrisM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a pro or
> anything like that.
> One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and 'stitch'
> them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes, 360 degree pictures
> of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for some cheap (pref. free)
> software that will do (or is it help me with doing?) this.


Hugin.

Free.

Powerful.

Using this:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../pano_head.jpg

+ Hugin

I was able to make this:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...3/workshop.jpg

(which IS a 360 panorama, I just
made it into two rows for photobook)

BugBear
 
Reply With Quote
 
Annika1980
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
Whichever software you decide to use be sure to remember to make all
exposures using the exact same settings. If you can do a Custom White
Balance for all the pics, that's even better. That will keep the
color shifts to a minimum and will make seams in the stitching much
less apparent.


 
Reply With Quote
 
ray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:30:33 +0000, ChrisM wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a pro or
> anything like that.
> One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and 'stitch'
> them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes, 360 degree pictures
> of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for some cheap (pref. free)
> software that will do (or is it help me with doing?) this.
> I've heard about GIMP which is apparantly free, and is quite well featured.
> Can I do what I need with that? Is there some other free software that will
> help? Or do I need to stop being so tight-fisted, and buy something like
> Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop...?


I have used the free pano-tools on Linux to do this, but quite frankly, I
get results about as good and much easier using the pandora plug-in for
GIMP - it works quite well although it does have some limitations - e.g.
it will only do left to right.

 
Reply With Quote
 
bugbear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
Annika1980 wrote:
> Whichever software you decide to use be sure to remember to make all
> exposures using the exact same settings. If you can do a Custom White
> Balance for all the pics, that's even better. That will keep the
> color shifts to a minimum and will make seams in the stitching much
> less apparent.
>
>


Yes, good advice.

BugBear
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
I like Panorama Factory. It can handle some pretty challenging stitching
problems because it can locally morph the images to match each other.
Even so, you want to try really hard to rotate the camera about a single
point so that foreground objects don't shift relative to background objects.

Albert

: On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:30:33 +0000, ChrisM wrote:

: > Hi,
: >
: > Just getting into digital photography. I'm only a 'snapper' not a pro or
: > anything like that.
: > One thing I'd like to be able to do is take several images, and 'stitch'
: > them together. For example panarama shots of landscapes, 360 degree pictures
: > of rooms and stuff like that. I'm looking for some cheap (pref. free)
: > software that will do (or is it help me with doing?) this.
: > I've heard about GIMP which is apparantly free, and is quite well featured.
: > Can I do what I need with that? Is there some other free software that will
: > help? Or do I need to stop being so tight-fisted, and buy something like
: > Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop...?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Digital Image Stitching II Ron Hunter Digital Photography 15 11-04-2007 07:41 AM
Digital Image Stitching II ChrisM Digital Photography 32 11-02-2007 09:08 AM
panorama mode and stitching with digital rebel xti parth_vakil@yahoo.com Digital Photography 10 06-04-2007 04:38 PM
stitching software for digital phots LouisB Digital Photography 15 08-02-2006 03:36 PM
Image stitching Graeme Digital Photography 9 08-07-2003 02:13 PM



Advertisments