Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > help with WEP on Windows 2000

help with WEP on Windows 2000

Stephen Sinclair

Hi,
I generally "know what I'm doing" when it comes to networking, but this
one's got me a bit stumped. I have a wireless router at home that I'm
using for a home network. My roommate has a laptop with Windows 2000
and a TwinMOS 802.11b pcmcia card. I use 128-bit WEP encryption on my
wlan to stop the neighbours from taking advantage of it.

I've installed Service Pack 4, and enabled all the right options in the
Authentication tab of the network settings, but for some reason I can
never enter the WEP key. I've tried connecting with WEP disabled and it
works just fine. (So the SSID & channel is correct, etc.) But from the
instructions I've read on the net (lots of google searching), once
selecting PEAP authentication, when you enable the wlan device a window
should pop up asking for the WEP key.

Unfortunately this just doesn't happen. Instead it just says "Connect
failed!" (with that smug little exclamation mark).

I've got this working both in XP and in Linux, but Windows 2000 just
doesn't seem to want to ask me for the key.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Steve

mikeFNB

why bother?
just use listed mac only connects

mike

"Stephen Sinclair" <"radarsat1[at]montrealelectro.com"> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I generally "know what I'm doing" when it comes to networking, but this
> one's got me a bit stumped. I have a wireless router at home that I'm
> using for a home network. My roommate has a laptop with Windows 2000
> and a TwinMOS 802.11b pcmcia card. I use 128-bit WEP encryption on my
> wlan to stop the neighbours from taking advantage of it.
>
> I've installed Service Pack 4, and enabled all the right options in the
> Authentication tab of the network settings, but for some reason I can
> never enter the WEP key. I've tried connecting with WEP disabled and it
> works just fine. (So the SSID & channel is correct, etc.) But from the
> instructions I've read on the net (lots of google searching), once
> selecting PEAP authentication, when you enable the wlan device a window
> should pop up asking for the WEP key.
>
> Unfortunately this just doesn't happen. Instead it just says "Connect
> failed!" (with that smug little exclamation mark).
>
> I've got this working both in XP and in Linux, but Windows 2000 just
> doesn't seem to want to ask me for the key.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>

> Steve

Stephen Sinclair

yeah that's a good idea.
but i still think it's stupid that this isn't working properly...
i thought windows was supposed to be easy.

steve

mikeFNB wrote:
> why bother?
> just use listed mac only connects
>
> mike
>
> "Stephen Sinclair" <"radarsat1[at]montrealelectro.com"> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>I generally "know what I'm doing" when it comes to networking, but this
>>one's got me a bit stumped. I have a wireless router at home that I'm
>>using for a home network. My roommate has a laptop with Windows 2000
>>and a TwinMOS 802.11b pcmcia card. I use 128-bit WEP encryption on my
>>wlan to stop the neighbours from taking advantage of it.
>>
>>I've installed Service Pack 4, and enabled all the right options in the
>>Authentication tab of the network settings, but for some reason I can
>>never enter the WEP key. I've tried connecting with WEP disabled and it
>>works just fine. (So the SSID & channel is correct, etc.) But from the
>>instructions I've read on the net (lots of google searching), once
>>selecting PEAP authentication, when you enable the wlan device a window
>>should pop up asking for the WEP key.
>>
>>Unfortunately this just doesn't happen. Instead it just says "Connect
>>failed!" (with that smug little exclamation mark).
>>
>>I've got this working both in XP and in Linux, but Windows 2000 just
>>doesn't seem to want to ask me for the key.
>>
>>Any ideas? Thanks.
>>

>>Steve

Steve Riley [MSFT]

What do you mean, "why bother"? Without a WEP key his transmissions will
be in the clear, which is most certainly unwise.

Stephen -- why are you selecting PEAP authentication? That's for environments
that are using a RADIUS server and 802.1x. 802.1x manages keys automatically
so you don't see the prompt for entering one manually. Since you're using
static WEP, make sure you haven't selected 802.1x.

Steve Riley

> why bother?
> just use listed mac only connects
> mike
>
> "Stephen Sinclair" <"radarsat1[at]montrealelectro.com"> wrote in
> message news:41e97842$1_2@aeinews....
>
>> Hi,
>> I generally "know what I'm doing" when it comes to networking, but
>> this
>> one's got me a bit stumped. I have a wireless router at home that
>> I'm
>> using for a home network. My roommate has a laptop with Windows 2000
>> and a TwinMOS 802.11b pcmcia card. I use 128-bit WEP encryption on
>> my
>> wlan to stop the neighbours from taking advantage of it.
>> I've installed Service Pack 4, and enabled all the right options in
>> the Authentication tab of the network settings, but for some reason I
>> can never enter the WEP key. I've tried connecting with WEP disabled
>> and it works just fine. (So the SSID & channel is correct, etc.)
>> But from the instructions I've read on the net (lots of google
>> searching), once selecting PEAP authentication, when you enable the
>> wlan device a window should pop up asking for the WEP key.
>>
>> Unfortunately this just doesn't happen. Instead it just says
>> "Connect failed!" (with that smug little exclamation mark).
>>
>> I've got this working both in XP and in Linux, but Windows 2000 just
>> doesn't seem to want to ask me for the key.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks.
>>
>> Steve

Tech_Mate Tech_Mate is offline
Junior Member

Just to be sure make sure you choose hex on your web security.

Terry