Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > starting a new group

starting a new group

Paul Fisher

How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden boats.

richard

On Oct 28, 6:04 am, "Paul Fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden boats.

Plenty of reading material available on the subject. As you are using
OE, you will need to know how to use the headers in order to create
the necessary control words that actually create a group.

You can create one in the "alt" hierarchy without any need for
someone's personal approval or intervention in the process.

The big hurdle, is getting news servers to carry the group. Once you
get one of the major servers to carry it, then the others will as
well.

I created alt.binaries.html just to see how it was done using OE. Got
a few servers to carry it and within a couple of months others were
carrying it as well.

Before creating one, do a full search on your server list. You might
find one existing probably in the "rec" (recreation) hierarchy.

It can be done, but not instantly. Patience is a virtue in this game.

Mike Easter

Paul Fisher wrote:
> How does one start a new group /

Before one thinks about starting a new group, they have 'conversations'
about topics they are interested in in existing groups.

> I would like to start one on wooden
> boats.

Building or restoring wooden boats? Such as is discussed in
rec.boats.building? Or rec.woodworking? Or 'recreating' aboard wooden
boats such as discussed in rec.boats.cruising? Or discussing wooden
boats in rec.boats?

I see that you have posted in rec.boats.building and can.rec.boating,
but rec.boats is much 'busier' in terms of the number of posts than
r.b.building.

The business about starting a new usenet group is significantly
different depending upon whether the group would be in the big8
hierarchy such as rec. as opposed to the alt. hierarchy

A site with some information on finding newsgroups and starting
newsgroups is the faq and links for news.newusers.questions
http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/ This site contains frequently asked
questions (FAQs), links to helpful sites and newsgroups, and nnq policy
and administrative documents.

.... and that site has a page - Creating new newsgroups
http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/ncreate.shtml

.... as well as a page with admonitions to find existing newsgroups, and
to use webforums and mailing lists to 'network' with other people
interested in wooden boats. Of course, it is much much easier to create
a google group or a yahoo group than a newsgroup.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-10-28, Paul Fisher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden boats.

Read <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/>.

Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

<http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

and here

<http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/>, the Official Home Page of the
newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

If you are interested in boats, then becoming familiar with the various
rec.boats.* newsgroups would seem to be a first step. There are also
boat-related groups within the can.* and uk.* heirarchies, and possibly
others. If you find support for the idea of a new newsgroup dedicated to
wooden boats, the next step would be to subscribe to news.config and start
jumping through the various hoops.

The creation of new newsgroups in the alt.* heirarchy is somewhat
different; subscribe to alt.config to start learning more. Other
heirarchies outside the "big 8" also have their own arrangements.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Paul Fisher

got it thanks
"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2007-10-28, Paul Fisher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden
>> boats.

> Read <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/>.
>
> Newcomers to newsgroups should start here
>
> <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>
>
> and here
>
> <http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/>, the Official Home Page of the
> newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.
>
> If you are interested in boats, then becoming familiar with the various
> rec.boats.* newsgroups would seem to be a first step. There are also
> boat-related groups within the can.* and uk.* heirarchies, and possibly
> others. If you find support for the idea of a new newsgroup dedicated to
> wooden boats, the next step would be to subscribe to news.config and start
> jumping through the various hoops.
>
> The creation of new newsgroups in the alt.* heirarchy is somewhat
> different; subscribe to alt.config to start learning more. Other
> heirarchies outside the "big 8" also have their own arrangements.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Hammerer

Paul Fisher wrote:

> How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden

boats.

Forget it, Paul. I've tried it myself, and unless you get good weather
the whole thing is hopeless. Try typing in a gale-force wind with waves
the size of mountains ......... it's no fun, believe me. Just wait till
you're at home and start the group from the comfort of your swivel-chair.

Top

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:04:04 -0400, Paul Fisher wrote:

> How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden
> boats.

Have you made sure there are no newsgroups that suit your needs?

Top

Top

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 02:29:04 -0600, Plato wrote:

> Top wrote:
>>
>> > How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden
>> > boats.

>> Have you made sure there are no newsgroups that suit your needs?

> I love wood boats. Very quite especially when fishing. Start a webpage
> instead of a new NG.

Or a blog. I too love fishing from the much quieter wood boats.

Top