Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > enctype="multipart/form-data" performance?

enctype="multipart/form-data" performance?

Rob

I've got quite an already complex form to which I need to add a upload photo
facility. I know how to do this but wondered if adding the form tag to
include enctype="multipart/form-data" makes a big performance difference to
the form when a photo isn't been uploaded?

Thanks, Rob.

I doubt it, if there isn't any multipart data to encode.
-- Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

"Rob" wrote:

> I've got quite an already complex form to which I need to add a upload photo
> facility. I know how to do this but wondered if adding the form tag to
> include enctype="multipart/form-data" makes a big performance difference to
> the form when a photo isn't been uploaded?
>
> Thanks, Rob.

Anthony Jones

"Rob" <rob_nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote in message
news:mJZUi.2273$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got quite an already complex form to which I need to add a upload

photo
> facility. I know how to do this but wondered if adding the form tag to
> include enctype="multipart/form-data" makes a big performance difference

> the form when a photo isn't been uploaded?

It won't make a great deal of difference. Certainly by far the biggest cost
will the time it takes to send the extra characters over the wire but
that'll be small change if occasionally the data contains a photo.

If it is a real concern then onsubmit event of the form you could test the
photo field value to see if it contains a file name then set the enctype
(encoding in JScript on IE) to your prefered type.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Rob" <rob_nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote in message
news:mJZUi.2273$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've got quite an already complex form to which I need to add a upload
> photo facility. I know how to do this but wondered if adding the form tag
> to include enctype="multipart/form-data" makes a big performance
> difference to the form when a photo isn't been uploaded?

None at all.

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Rob

>> difference to the form when a photo isn't been uploaded?
>
> None at all.

Thanks all, I'll give it a go.

Cheers, Rob.