Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dpreview's clear Canon bias part II

Dpreview's clear Canon bias part II

RichA

Camera introductions versus reviews. Since the beginning of 2006:

Canon I = 43 R = 16
Nikon I = 33 R = 6
Pentax I = 24 R = 4
Olympus I = 39 R = 3

Every piece of s---- P&S from Canon is review fodder, but they ignore
other company's DSLRs!!

The only major Canon they've yet to review is the 1DmkIII and we KNOW
why they're avoiding that, don't we??

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The only major Canon they've yet to review is the 1DmkIII and we KNOW
> why they're avoiding that, don't we??

yes we do, and it isn't why you think (no surprise there).

phil has stated that he was in the middle of reviewing the 1d mark iii
(it was to be posted right after the leica m. however, there was a
*lot* more interest in the 40d (which was just posted) and the nikon
d300 and d3 (which will need to wait until he gets production units
next month). i suspect he'll finish up the 1d mark iii review while he
awaits the two nikon cameras.

RichA wrote:
> Camera introductions versus reviews. Since the beginning of 2006:
>
> Canon I = 43 R = 16
> Nikon I = 33 R = 6
> Pentax I = 24 R = 4
> Olympus I = 39 R = 3

A bigger question is, why do the camera manufacturers think they
need so many different models? There can't be that much difference
between each model. Were there this many models in film days?
E.g. there are/were 11 models in Canon's DSLR line (1DsIII, 1DIII, 5d,
40d, 30D 400D, 350D, 300D, 20D, 1DsII, 1DII) since 2006 (I think I got
them all). That leaves 32 P&S models?

Roger

David J. Littleboy

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A bigger question is, why do the camera manufacturers think they
> need so many different models?

That's easy.

> There can't be that much difference
> between each model. Were there this many models in film days?
> E.g. there are/were 11 models in Canon's DSLR line (1DsIII, 1DIII, 5d,
> 40d, 30D 400D, 350D, 300D, 20D, 1DsII, 1DII) since 2006 (I think I got
> them all). That leaves 32 P&S models?

Only new models get free advertising space (called "reviews") in the
magazines, so if you don't come out with new models, you have to pay for
your advertising.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A bigger question is, why do the camera manufacturers think they
>> need so many different models?

> That's easy.
>
>> There can't be that much difference
>> between each model. Were there this many models in film days?
>> E.g. there are/were 11 models in Canon's DSLR line (1DsIII, 1DIII, 5d,
>> 40d, 30D 400D, 350D, 300D, 20D, 1DsII, 1DII) since 2006 (I think I got
>> them all). That leaves 32 P&S models?

> Only new models get free advertising space (called "reviews") in the
> magazines, so if you don't come out with new models, you have to pay for
> your advertising.

Is that more expensive than retooling a production line
plus the engineering of the model?
(Honest question, I don't know).

Roger

David J. Littleboy

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> David J. Littleboy wrote:
>>
>> Only new models get free advertising space (called "reviews") in the
>> magazines, so if you don't come out with new models, you have to pay for
>> your advertising.

> Is that more expensive than retooling a production line
> plus the engineering of the model?
> (Honest question, I don't know).

One of my jokes about Japan is that the Japanese companies clearly abuse
their engineers something fierce: just look at the number of printer models
Epson cranks out here. In the US, all you guys got was the R800. We got the
PX-G900 (original R800), PX-G920, and PX-G930. (And, having worked at a
large Japanese electronics company for two years, I know that that's
actually true...)

But (somewhat) seriously, my impression is that new models (with buzz from
the reviews) sell a lot more units than last year's model, and the guy who
cranks the most new models wins in the unit sales count department. At least
in the non-pro segments.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

=?windows-1252?Q?SMS_=3F=3F=3F=95_=3F?=

> RichA wrote:
>> Camera introductions versus reviews. Since the beginning of 2006:
>>
>> Canon I = 43 R = 16
>> Nikon I = 33 R = 6
>> Pentax I = 24 R = 4
>> Olympus I = 39 R = 3

> A bigger question is, why do the camera manufacturers think they
> need so many different models? There can't be that much difference
> between each model. Were there this many models in film days?
> E.g. there are/were 11 models in Canon's DSLR line (1DsIII, 1DIII, 5d,
> 40d, 30D 400D, 350D, 300D, 20D, 1DsII, 1DII) since 2006 (I think I got
> them all).

No, you forgot the 10D.

In most cases each model had some significant improvements over the
model it replaced, and not just increased resolution. In a couple of
cases there were only minor improvements (i.e. 20D to 30D).

You also have to look at the fact that Canon plays in five market
segments, from entry level to high-end full-frame professional. No other
digital SLR manufacturer has products in all these segments, so
naturally Canon will have a lot more models.

The development costs are probably less than you think, considering that
so much of the hardware and software can be used in multiple models, and
is evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

D-SLR makers want to sell as many bodies as possible, into all market
segments, so they can seed the market for future lens sales, which are
very profitable.

SMS ??? ? wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>>> Camera introductions versus reviews. Since the beginning of 2006:
>>>
>>> Canon I = 43 R = 16
>>> Nikon I = 33 R = 6
>>> Pentax I = 24 R = 4
>>> Olympus I = 39 R = 3

>> A bigger question is, why do the camera manufacturers think they
>> need so many different models? There can't be that much difference
>> between each model. Were there this many models in film days?
>> E.g. there are/were 11 models in Canon's DSLR line (1DsIII, 1DIII, 5d,
>> 40d, 30D 400D, 350D, 300D, 20D, 1DsII, 1DII) since 2006 (I think I got
>> them all).

> No, you forgot the 10D.

I believe the 10D has been out of production since before 2006.
I included only models in production from 2006 to date.

Roger