Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless isn't working!!

wireless isn't working!!

DominickTotino@gmail.com

Hi. I recently bought 2 identical laptops for me and my brother. My
brother lives in NY and I live in Philly. They are Toshiba Satellite
m45's. So we bought them before Christmas and its a few days past the
return policy for Circuit City so I've come here in hope some one had
the same problem or someone knows what else to do.

The problem lies in the wireless connectivity of the laptop. The laptop
will initially connect wireless to my network in Philly but every 10-15
minutes a display comes up saying "limited or no connectivity." Now I
originally thought it was just my laptop and I bought a defected unit
or something. But I talked to my brother yesterday and he said the same
thing has been happening to him. Now at my Philly house, my roommates
use their laptops on the network and they never had this happen to
them. Both in NY and Philly, we have Linksys 54g routers. I've already
went through troubleshooting with both Linksys and Toshiba. I am
supposed to call Toshiba corporate today to complain and hopefully get
a new one or something. But what still bothers me is that my brother
and I both have the same laptops and the same problems. So with that
said, can anyone help me out?

John Navas

[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <(E-Mail Removed) .com> on 31 Jan 2006
08:20:04 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi. I recently bought 2 identical laptops for me and my brother. My
>brother lives in NY and I live in Philly. They are Toshiba Satellite
>m45's. So we bought them before Christmas and its a few days past the
>return policy for Circuit City so I've come here in hope some one had
>the same problem or someone knows what else to do.
>
>The problem lies in the wireless connectivity of the laptop. The laptop
>will initially connect wireless to my network in Philly but every 10-15
>minutes a display comes up saying "limited or no connectivity." Now I
>originally thought it was just my laptop and I bought a defected unit
>or something. But I talked to my brother yesterday and he said the same
>thing has been happening to him. Now at my Philly house, my roommates
>use their laptops on the network and they never had this happen to
>them. Both in NY and Philly, we have Linksys 54g routers. I've already
>went through troubleshooting with both Linksys and Toshiba. I am
>supposed to call Toshiba corporate today to complain and hopefully get
>a new one or something. But what still bothers me is that my brother
>and I both have the same laptops and the same problems. So with that
>said, can anyone help me out?

Sounds like radio frequency interference. See the FAQ below.

--
Best regards, SEE THE FAQ FOR ALT.INTERNET.WIRELESS AT
John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FAQ_for_alt.internet.wireless>

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

I had similar issue with Toshiba Laptop that I bought for a family member
few weeks ago.

In my case, it had to do with the multiple "Junk" that the Toshiba engineers
decided to load at Windows Startup. Many applications that are loaded at
Startup (in big part is just a marketing ploy) including few that are
related to the Wireless Management. It might be that they end up
"confusing" the Wireless connection.

I cleaned the Startup from all the entries that are not needed for the basic
operation of Windows and configured manually the Wireless. After manuall
configuration, I switched off the wireless utilities and I use Windows Zero
Configuration.

It is working well since then.

If you are Not comfortable with removing entries, this might help in dealing
with StartUp.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

P.S. I am sorry that my answer is a general one. I cannot give you a
detailed list of the "Alleged Junk" application since I do not have this
Laptop with me any more.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi. I recently bought 2 identical laptops for me and my brother. My
> brother lives in NY and I live in Philly. They are Toshiba Satellite
> m45's. So we bought them before Christmas and its a few days past the
> return policy for Circuit City so I've come here in hope some one had
> the same problem or someone knows what else to do.
>
> The problem lies in the wireless connectivity of the laptop. The laptop
> will initially connect wireless to my network in Philly but every 10-15
> minutes a display comes up saying "limited or no connectivity." Now I
> originally thought it was just my laptop and I bought a defected unit
> or something. But I talked to my brother yesterday and he said the same
> thing has been happening to him. Now at my Philly house, my roommates
> use their laptops on the network and they never had this happen to
> them. Both in NY and Philly, we have Linksys 54g routers. I've already
> went through troubleshooting with both Linksys and Toshiba. I am
> supposed to call Toshiba corporate today to complain and hopefully get
> a new one or something. But what still bothers me is that my brother
> and I both have the same laptops and the same problems. So with that
> said, can anyone help me out?

Bill Rankin

Dominick,

I had the same problem on my network using a LinkSys 54G router. One system
that used a LinkSys adapter had no problem but the one with an Intel 2200BG
adapter would either connect erratically or drop off once connected. I
updated the LinkSys firmware on my router that solved the problem. I also
went to Intel and updated the driver for the Intel adapter.

Bill-R

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi. I recently bought 2 identical laptops for me and my brother. My
> brother lives in NY and I live in Philly. They are Toshiba Satellite
> m45's. So we bought them before Christmas and its a few days past the
> return policy for Circuit City so I've come here in hope some one had
> the same problem or someone knows what else to do.
>
> The problem lies in the wireless connectivity of the laptop. The laptop
> will initially connect wireless to my network in Philly but every 10-15
> minutes a display comes up saying "limited or no connectivity." Now I
> originally thought it was just my laptop and I bought a defected unit
> or something. But I talked to my brother yesterday and he said the same
> thing has been happening to him. Now at my Philly house, my roommates
> use their laptops on the network and they never had this happen to
> them. Both in NY and Philly, we have Linksys 54g routers. I've already
> went through troubleshooting with both Linksys and Toshiba. I am
> supposed to call Toshiba corporate today to complain and hopefully get
> a new one or something. But what still bothers me is that my brother
> and I both have the same laptops and the same problems. So with that
> said, can anyone help me out?

Jeff Liebermann

(E-Mail Removed) hath wroth:

>Hi. I recently bought 2 identical laptops for me and my brother. My
>brother lives in NY and I live in Philly. They are Toshiba Satellite
>m45's. So we bought them before Christmas and its a few days past the
>return policy for Circuit City so I've come here in hope some one had
>the same problem or someone knows what else to do.

The M45 series is a decent laptop and works well for a few of my
customers that have bought them. However, Toshiba installs some kind
of network configuration manager that I suspect is causing problems. I
forgot the name. I had to disable it and Wireless Zero Config before
I could get a reliable connection on one computer. However, the other
Toshiba's worked just fine with whatever they supplied. Weird.

>The problem lies in the wireless connectivity of the laptop. The laptop
>will initially connect wireless to my network in Philly but every 10-15
>minutes a display comes up saying "limited or no connectivity." Now I
>originally thought it was just my laptop and I bought a defected unit
>or something. But I talked to my brother yesterday and he said the same
>thing has been happening to him. Now at my Philly house, my roommates
>use their laptops on the network and they never had this happen to
>them. Both in NY and Philly, we have Linksys 54g routers.

Do you have identical hardware versions of the Links WRT54G? If
they're both V5, try upgrading the firmware to the latest (1.00.6)
which fixed a similar problem. If they're not V5, try the latest for
that hardware version.

Partial list of v5 fixes:
Firmware 1.00.6
- Resolves issues with WAP54G repeater mode
- Resolves issues with certain PPPoE connection
- Resolves issues with SES turning back on when applying settings
- Resolves issues with WPA allowing Shared key selection
- Resolves issues with web GUI ping function
- Resolves issues with using MSN whiteboard
- Resolves issues with instability when using Bittorent
- Resolves issues with using certain ATA phone adapters
- Resolves issues with connecting to NNTP news servers

>I've already
>went through troubleshooting with both Linksys and Toshiba.

What did they suggest and what happened? In other words, what changes
and updates have you made?

>I am
>supposed to call Toshiba corporate today to complain and hopefully get
>a new one or something. But what still bothers me is that my brother
>and I both have the same laptops and the same problems. So with that
>said, can anyone help me out?

Try the laptop at a hot spot or coffee shop wireless. If that works
without a disconnect, then it's your WRT54G. Upgrade firmware if
necessary.

--
Jeff Liebermann http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

DominickTotino@gmail.com

I hate Toshiba for putting all that crap on their computers. The first
thing I thought of was what you just said, but I never deleted
anything. I talked to toshiba yesterday and i did a system restore, but
that didn't work. If anyone has more info on what programs to
uninstall, i'd appreciate it.

DominickTotino@gmail.com

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) hath wroth:
>

> The M45 series is a decent laptop and works well for a few of my
> customers that have bought them. However, Toshiba installs some kind
> of network configuration manager that I suspect is causing problems. I
> forgot the name. I had to disable it and Wireless Zero Config before
> I could get a reliable connection on one computer. However, the other
> Toshiba's worked just fine with whatever they supplied. Weird.

If anyone knows which program on Toshiba this is, I'd appreciate it

> >I've already
> >went through troubleshooting with both Linksys and Toshiba.

> What did they suggest and what happened? In other words, what changes
> and updates have you made?

I did a system restore, it didn't work

> Try the laptop at a hot spot or coffee shop wireless. If that works
> without a disconnect, then it's your WRT54G. Upgrade firmware if
> necessary.

The tech i talked to also told me to do that. I have to find the time
though. hopefully the problem lies with a program from toshiba, so I
can just uninstall it and be on my way.

George

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had similar issue with Toshiba Laptop that I bought for a family member
> few weeks ago.
>
> In my case, it had to do with the multiple "Junk" that the Toshiba engineers
> decided to load at Windows Startup. Many applications that are loaded at
> Startup (in big part is just a marketing ploy) including few that are
> related to the Wireless Management. It might be that they end up
> "confusing" the Wireless connection.

I can assure you the decision to include that stuff wasn't a technical one.

> I cleaned the Startup from all the entries that are not needed for the basic
> operation of Windows and configured manually the Wireless. After manuall
> configuration, I switched off the wireless utilities and I use Windows Zero
> Configuration.
>
> It is working well since then.
>
> If you are Not comfortable with removing entries, this might help in dealing
> with StartUp.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> P.S. I am sorry that my answer is a general one. I cannot give you a
> detailed list of the "Alleged Junk" application since I do not have this
> Laptop with me any more.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Hi. I recently bought 2 identical laptops for me and my brother. My
>>brother lives in NY and I live in Philly. They are Toshiba Satellite
>>m45's. So we bought them before Christmas and its a few days past the
>>return policy for Circuit City so I've come here in hope some one had
>>the same problem or someone knows what else to do.
>>
>>The problem lies in the wireless connectivity of the laptop. The laptop
>>will initially connect wireless to my network in Philly but every 10-15
>>minutes a display comes up saying "limited or no connectivity." Now I
>>originally thought it was just my laptop and I bought a defected unit
>>or something. But I talked to my brother yesterday and he said the same
>>thing has been happening to him. Now at my Philly house, my roommates
>>use their laptops on the network and they never had this happen to
>>them. Both in NY and Philly, we have Linksys 54g routers. I've already
>>went through troubleshooting with both Linksys and Toshiba. I am
>>supposed to call Toshiba corporate today to complain and hopefully get
>>a new one or something. But what still bothers me is that my brother
>>and I both have the same laptops and the same problems. So with that
>>said, can anyone help me out?

tim

i think you are talking about the CONFIG FREE program ?

I have a problem with connecting my laptops with a crossover cable and a
switch......... my toshiba laptop always has a "limited connectivity.." and
my other laptop doesnt and it can access the toshiba but the toshiba cannot
access any files on the other laptop.

Anyone else have anything else to add ????

I thought my toshiba laptop was faulty also .... i think toshiba knows about
it as they were so sure it wasnt faulty when i rang them
news:(E-Mail Removed)...