Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The Five Stages of HD-DVD

The Five Stages of HD-DVD

Derek Janssen

Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--

One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
Blu-Ray's market lead:

1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
before the public decides!"

2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go neutral!"

3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"

4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
to on-demand downloads..."

5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:35:33 GMT, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
>
>One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
>slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
>going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
>Blu-Ray's market lead:

Speaking of feisty, you should check out Ubuntu's forums on the issue.
The PS3 Ubuntu distro will read and allow viewing of HD DVDs, and it runs
on a PS3.

There is a patch for the Linux kernel for the UDF file system. The
Cell CPU is already in the Linux tree now, and the UDF file system soon
will be.

>1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
>split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
>before the public decides!"
>
>2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
> more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go neutral!"
>
>3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
>Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
>
>4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
>viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
>to on-demand downloads..."
>
>5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

Whatever.

>Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)
>(E-Mail Removed)

Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
skulls.

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

In message newsPQUi.114$gl1.90@trndny09, Derek Janssen sprach forth the
following:

> Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
>
> One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
> slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
> going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
> Blu-Ray's market lead:
>
> 1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
> split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three
> years before the public decides!"
>
> 2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry;
> if
> more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go
> neutral!"
>
> 3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
> Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
>
> 4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
> viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
> to on-demand downloads..."
>
> 5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

Nothing is more so fudge-packingly gay as a format fanfag.

Telstar

"ChairmanOfTheBored" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:35:33 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
>>
>>One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
>>slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
>>going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
>>Blu-Ray's market lead:

> Speaking of feisty, you should check out Ubuntu's forums on the issue.
> The PS3 Ubuntu distro will read and allow viewing of HD DVDs, and it runs
> on a PS3.
>
> There is a patch for the Linux kernel for the UDF file system. The
> Cell CPU is already in the Linux tree now, and the UDF file system soon
> will be.
>>
>>1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
>>split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
>>before the public decides!"
>>
>>2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
>> more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go
>> neutral!"
>>
>>3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
>>Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
>>
>>4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
>>viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
>>to on-demand downloads..."
>>
>>5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

> Whatever.
>
>>Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)
>>(E-Mail Removed)

> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
> skulls.

No we don't. You are simply wrong...both will NOT survive. It is very much
more likely that neither will.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:28:09 -0700, "Telstar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"ChairmanOfTheBored" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:35:33 GMT, Derek Janssen
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
>>>
>>>One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
>>>slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
>>>going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
>>>Blu-Ray's market lead:

>> Speaking of feisty, you should check out Ubuntu's forums on the issue.
>> The PS3 Ubuntu distro will read and allow viewing of HD DVDs, and it runs
>> on a PS3.
>>
>> There is a patch for the Linux kernel for the UDF file system. The
>> Cell CPU is already in the Linux tree now, and the UDF file system soon
>> will be.
>>>
>>>1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
>>>split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
>>>before the public decides!"
>>>
>>>2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
>>> more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go
>>> neutral!"
>>>
>>>3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
>>>Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
>>>
>>>4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
>>>viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
>>>to on-demand downloads..."
>>>
>>>5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

>> Whatever.
>>
>>>Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)

>> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
>> skulls.

>No we don't. You are simply wrong...both will NOT survive. It is very much
>more likely that neither will.

Your intelligence level (or lack thereof) is an insult to satellites
"around the world".

T.B.

"ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
> skulls.

Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped each
other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.

Dumbass.

T.B.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:46:28 -0700, "T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:
>
>> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
>> skulls.

>Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped each
>other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
>
>Dumbass.
>
>T.B.

****ing idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
studios.

SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.

In other words, dumb****, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

T.B.

ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

>>> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
>>> skulls.

>>Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped each
>>other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
>>
>>Dumbass.
>>
>>T.B.
>>

> ****ing idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
> studios.
>
> SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.
>
> In other words, dumb****, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

Yo, clod.

DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here is
a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain you have
taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/130868.html

Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?

T.B.

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

In message news:4726064d$0$28824$(E-Mail Removed), T.B. sprach
forth the following:

> ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

>>>Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped
>>>each other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
>>>
>>>Dumbass.
>>>
>>>T.B.
>>>

>> ****ing idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
>> studios.
>>
>> SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.
>>
>> In other words, dumb****, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

> Yo, clod.
>
> DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats.

DTS is NOT DVD-Audio, idiot.

> Here is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a
> brain you have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.

It's "melon", idiot.

> http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/130868.html

This article only mentions DTS in passing, and not as a competitor to SACD.

> Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?

Nobody home up your momma's scab-infected **** except your moronic ass.

plonk

Richard C.

"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4726064d$0$28824$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

>>>Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped
>>>each
>>>other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
>>>
>>>Dumbass.
>>>
>>>T.B.
>>>

>> ****ing idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
>> studios.
>>
>> SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.
>>
>> In other words, dumb****, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

> Yo, clod.
>
> DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here
> is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain you
> have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.
>
> http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/130868.html
>
> Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?
>
> T.B.

The competing "hi-res" audio fromats are DVD-Audio and SACD.