Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP Pro x64, new install, no taskbar

XP Pro x64, new install, no taskbar

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iaW4=?=

My PC has an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ CPU, and had been working fine with Windows
XP home edition. I decided to upgrade to XP Pro, and since it is a 64 bit
CPU decided to get the 64 bit version of XP.

I installed a new full copy of XP Pro x64. Formatted the partition first.
XP Pro x64 installed and was OK until I donwloaded and installed IE7 64 bit
version. After installation and reboot I had a background but no icons and
no taskbar or start button. I tried many suiggestions from the web but none
helped.

Since then i have tried additional clean installations, reformatting again
in between, but now every installation leaves me with the same situation; no
icons, no taskbar or start button.

I can open task manger, but cannot get any programs to run from there.
Safe mode does work.

Any ideas what may have happened, and how to fix this?