Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > spyware.bearshare found by "Spyware Detector"

PeterOut

I ran a free scan of "Spyware Detector" from Max Secure. It listed a
lot of low threat cookies but also a critical threat called
spyware.bearshare. None ot the other spyware detectors I ran found
this spyware and, when I searched on the web, I only found it
mentioned on www.spywaredetector.net. It is possible that the format
of the name may not be standard. It may just be called Bearshare.

Is this just a way of scaring people into buying the product or have
they found a real threat that the other programs failed to find?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.

Bert Hyman

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5666

http://p2p.malwareremoval.com/details.html#bear

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Tony

I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.

Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone
everyday----------------------------------------------------PeterOut
wrote:

> I ran a free scan of "Spyware Detector" from Max Secure. It listed a
> lot of low threat cookies but also a critical threat called
> spyware.bearshare. None ot the other spyware detectors I ran found
> this spyware and, when I searched on the web, I only found it
> mentioned on www.spywaredetector.net. It is possible that the format
> of the name may not be standard. It may just be called Bearshare.
>
> Is this just a way of scaring people into buying the product or have
> they found a real threat that the other programs failed to find?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Peter.

PeterOut

On Oct 27, 3:01 pm, Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed) roups.comPeterOut
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Is this just a way of scaring people into buying the product or have
> > they found a real threat that the other programs failed to find?

> http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5666
>
> http://p2p.malwareremoval.com/details.html#bear
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Thank you very much for the reply. "Spyware Detector" made it seem
much worse http://www.spywaredetector.net/spywa....BearShare.htm
..

PeterOut

On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.

I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
it on my system and was critical level spyware.

Jim Watt

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:09:41 -0700, PeterOut <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
>>

>I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
>it on my system and was critical level spyware.

If you haven't installed it it certainly should not be there !

Its crapware. remove it.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

rjdriver

"PeterOut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
>>

> I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
> it on my system and was critical level spyware.

Bearshare is one of dozens of file sharing apps out there that contains
adware and spyware. If it's not a false reading and actually on your
system, depending on which version you have, it could be the 180 Solutions
spyware, When U, New Dot Net, or Quick Search Bar.

Uninstall Bearshare, but let who ever in your family is using it know
first in case they may need to save some files that might be in the
bearshare directory. Then you will probably need some anti-spyware
programs to get rid of what's left.
You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, but
you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that 180 Solutions and
When U dole out.

Bob

Dustin Cook

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:09:41 -0700, PeterOut <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
>>>

>>I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
>>it on my system and was critical level spyware.

> If you haven't installed it it certainly should not be there !
>
> Its crapware. remove it.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Spyware Detector is crapware, and it shouldn't be used.

--
Dustin Cook, Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - v2.2d
Email.: (E-Mail Removed)

Dustin Cook

"rjdriver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fk0Vi.20$(E-Mail Removed):

> "PeterOut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
>>>

>> I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
>> it on my system and was critical level spyware.
>>

> Bearshare is one of dozens of file sharing apps out there that
> contains
> adware and spyware. If it's not a false reading and actually on your
> system, depending on which version you have, it could be the 180
> Solutions spyware, When U, New Dot Net, or Quick Search Bar.

They are seperate installers included with BearShare. BearShare itself
isn't spyware/adware. It's an important distinction.

> Uninstall Bearshare, but let who ever in your family is using it
> know
> first in case they may need to save some files that might be in the
> bearshare directory. Then you will probably need some anti-spyware

Remove the offensive programs and replace them with dummy executables and
bearshare runs fine, if thats your p2p choice... There are better options
in p2p.

> programs to get rid of what's left.
> You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and
> AdAware, but you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that
> 180 Solutions and When U dole out.

As well as what Spyware Detector may have included. It's worse than
bearshare.

--

On Oct 28, 9:41 am, "rjdriver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bearshare is one of dozens of file sharing apps out there that contains
> adware and spyware. If it's not a false reading and actually on your
> system, depending on which version you have, it could be the 180 Solutions
> spyware, When U, New Dot Net, or Quick Search Bar.
>
> Uninstall Bearshare, but let who ever in your family is using it know
> first in case they may need to save some files that might be in the
> bearshare directory. Then you will probably need some anti-spyware
> programs to get rid of what's left.
> You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, but
> you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that 180 Solutions and
> When U dole out.

I did not find 180solutions using Search. I did find it in the
registry, along with a lot of really nasty looking stuff, in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:Software:Microsoft:Windows:Inte rnet
Settings3P:History . Most of the stuff I didn't recognize. I am
not sure if I should delete entries from there since it may be sites
that are supposed to be blocked.

Thanks,
Peter.