Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Five Reasons for Making the Switch to Linux

Five Reasons for Making the Switch to Linux

Au79

Hardly a day passes where Linux isn't mentioned in IT circles and by
techno-geeks everywhere. But why should you care?

In this article, we'll explain why moving to Linux is a smart move for your
business and your bottom line.
Reason 1: Productivity

Lets start with how the overall speed and general stability that Linux
contributes to productivity. Granted there will be a small learning curve
for users that aren't at least a bit computer savvy, but today's
distributions are very easy for a Windows user to become accustomed to.

A huge amount of software is available on the Web, many of which are free of
charge and some that are driven by large, well-known companies. For
productivity it's hard to beat OpenOffice. A free and viable alternative to
Microsoft Office, boasts compatibility with its file formats and offers
functionality only the most hard core of users of the Office suite will
miss. Open Office is free to download and distribute throughout your
organization. This could represent a major savings of thousands of dollars
in licensing fees that most businesses pay to Microsoft every year.

There are hundreds if not thousands of other free software titles available
for Linux that can help with productivity. Wikipedia is a great resource
for finding links to free Linux based open source software.
Reason 2: Security

There are constant news reports about the millions of dollars in damages and
downtime caused by viruses and Trojans that attack Windows based PC's.
Linux is virtually free of these kinds of attacks.

Another consideration is spyware, which generates countless calls to IT
helpdesk's across the globe. Spyware is nearly non-existent for Linux.
Linux, a variety of UNIX, is by default, a very secure multi-user platform.
It is of course, made by humans and therefore not perfect and there are
many websitse out there with ways to harden Linux and make it even more
secure.

Locked down tight, Linux makes a great file server, proxy server, or
firewall and has been used in this capacity for over a decade.
Reason 3: Linux Maturity

As every enterprise-class IT organization knows, Linux is a powerhouse on
servers and its abilities have been fine tuned for years. There is no doubt
that on low to mid-range servers, Linux is a Microsoft's largest
competitor. However, with the recent release of the 2.6 kernel, many new
features have been added that make this release even more robust. Take, for
instance, tickless idle for power savings, which can translate into lower
electrical bills and longer battery life. (For a short overview, see this
Wikipedia entry.)

Although the Linux desktop is still not quite as mature as the Windows
platform, there have been great strides that deserve a fresh look at this
useful and free operating system. When you begin to evaluate whether a move
to Linux on desktops is viable for your business, you will need to weigh
cost factors like software availability, potential software integration
issues, and usability.

If the software you require to run your business is available to run under
Linux, you'll quickly see the cost savings.
Reason 4: Availability

There are several mainstream versions of Linux, and hundreds of other,
smaller, specialty versions of Linux.

Among the most popular versions of Linux available today is Red Hat Linux,
which is mainly a server version. For the desktop version check out the
Fedora Project and SuSe Linux. Both are very stable versions of Linux that
have been picked up by Novell.

A newcomer to the Linux desktop scene and probably the most popular among
home users is Ubuntu. The latest version of this OS, called "Gutsy Gibbon",
was just released last week and was met with fantastic reviews. We've been
running this on our laptops for several weeks with the pre-release copy
that we received and we can't say enough about its performance and ease of
use.

It's important to remember when pitching these OS alternatives to your
senior management that they are completely free for as many copies as your
business needs.
Reason 5: Cost

Linux cost range from very inexpensive -- depending on the distribution you
choose -- to free. Yes you read that right, FREE. There are several version
of Linux which you do pay for, but you are not paying for the software, you
are paying for tech support, or documentation. However, one does not always
need to purchase tech support from the software developer.

One of the major advantages of Linux is that there is a huge community of
people across the globe that dedicate their own time and resources to help
keep the community up to date on fixes and bugs.

Usually if a bug is found in Linux, it's fixed or patched within a few
hours, versus weeks, or even months as is sometimes the case with Microsoft
Windows. Plus you have right to modify the OS as you see fit with some
programming experience. Try doing that with Windows and odds are you'll get
a nasty cease and desist letter in the mail.

In closing, these reasons sum up how moving to a Linux based desktop or even
server system can save your company where it counts most: the bottom line.
With the amount of freely available software and support, now is the time
to begin investigating how Linux can be a cost-effective component in
helping your business to grow and succeed in the years to come.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3707436

http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
http://www.ubuntu.com

Scott W

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)wich
says...
> I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

> Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

Linux is hard.
--
"USA is the most pathetic country in the world!"
-- Gordon Ramsay (aka Iron Chef)

Tony

I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

Ponder

Hiya Tony.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

Mind you, Linux has matured... unlike the OP

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Mike Easter

Tony wrote:
> I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

Googleweb: Your search - "weiner windup" - did not match any documents.
Your search - "wiener windup" - did not match any documents.

Googlegroups: Your search - "wiener windup" - did not match any
documents.
Results 1 - 1 of 1 for "weiner windup "

From: Tony

[...] The guy is some weiner windup [...]

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.d...98e0dee8878691 or
http://snipr.com/1ssod

Apparently Tony is the only person on the internet who uses the term
'weiner windup'.

--
Mike Easter

Tony

"weiner windup" pronounced winedup is a term from the 1960's i used to call
people that way back when. Weiner is slang for cock and i'm not sure how
windup got added to the end of it but i didn't make up that line i hear it
from someone else first.

Mike Easter wrote:

> Tony wrote:
> > I don't care Linux is for weiner windups.

> Googleweb: Your search - "weiner windup" - did not match any documents.
> Your search - "wiener windup" - did not match any documents.
>
> Googlegroups: Your search - "wiener windup" - did not match any
> documents.
> Results 1 - 1 of 1 for "weiner windup "
>
> From: Tony
>
> [...] The guy is some weiner windup [...]
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.d...98e0dee8878691 or
> http://snipr.com/1ssod
>
> Apparently Tony is the only person on the internet who uses the term
> 'weiner windup'.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

William Poaster

Scott W wrote:

> Linux is hard.

Idiot.

--
Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

Mara

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:06:10 +0100, William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Scott W wrote:
>
>> Linux is hard.

>Idiot.

I see flatfish is crossposting his inane drivel again. I wonder how many
dumbasses will fall for the crossposting troll *this* time.

I'd start a betting pool but I've got most of the messier ones blocked already
and wouldn't see them. Yay!

--
"... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
-- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

Scott W

> Scott W wrote:
>
> > Linux is hard.

> Idiot.

Oh kewl! Yer smart! Can you help me install Linix?
--

me@privacy.net

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:58:04 -0700, Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hardly a day passes where Linux isn't mentioned in IT circles and by
>techno-geeks everywhere. But why should you care?
>
>In this article, we'll explain why moving to Linux is a smart move for your
>business and your bottom line.
>Reason 1: Productivity

Oh Bunk! Linux is based on 1960's technology. Microsoft Vista was written in
the 21st century. Linux is the Edsel of computers. Something like .81 % of
computers run Linux on the desktop. It is a interesting relic of the by gone
computer era, like the Commodore 64, but no one uses Linux on the desktop
unless they are Linux zealots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel