Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > why can't I use rechargeable batteries?

why can't I use rechargeable batteries?

Nate Nagel

Hi all,

got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
several hours. I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to
get a set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first
bought it but they were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
do about it.

Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
digital camera I've had.

I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera
a lot for work.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

James Silverton

Nate wrote on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400:

NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I
NN> seem to only be able to get good performance with
NN> non-rechargeable batteries (currently using Energizer E2
NN> lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
NN> my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or
NN> two pics before I get a "low battery" warning and the
NN> camera shuts down. They work fine in a flashlight however
NN> - will keep a mini mag lite going for several hours. I
NN> suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to get a
NN> set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I
NN> first bought it but they were unavailable even direct from
NN> Nikon. I suspect the "problem" is the lower voltage of the
NN> NiMHs but don't know what to do about it.

NN> Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be
NN> ecologically correct but rechargeable batteries just don't
NN> seem to work in any digital camera I've had.

Should your camera be adjusted for battery type? My small Nikon
certainly must be (on the setup screens) and the voltages that
the two types of battery deliver *are* significantly different.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Nate Nagel

James Silverton wrote:
> Nate wrote on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400:
>
> NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
> NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I
> NN> seem to only be able to get good performance with
> NN> non-rechargeable batteries (currently using Energizer E2
> NN> lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
> NN> my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or
> NN> two pics before I get a "low battery" warning and the
> NN> camera shuts down. They work fine in a flashlight however
> NN> - will keep a mini mag lite going for several hours. I
> NN> suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to get a
> NN> set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I
> NN> first bought it but they were unavailable even direct from
> NN> Nikon. I suspect the "problem" is the lower voltage of the
> NN> NiMHs but don't know what to do about it.
>
> NN> Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be
> NN> ecologically correct but rechargeable batteries just don't
> NN> seem to work in any digital camera I've had.
>
> Should your camera be adjusted for battery type? My small Nikon
> certainly must be (on the setup screens) and the voltages that the two
> types of battery deliver *are* significantly different.
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Good point, I believe at least the L6 does have that setting although
that didn't seem to make a difference.

I just rechecked the Nikon web site and their own brand of batteries is
available again (I assume they private label them from someone else, but
still...) so I ordered four. Charger is not available from Nikon so I
will have to try them in my existing Energizer branded charger.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Steve Wolstenholme

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
>correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
>digital camera I've had.

I had the same problem with a Nikon. They are very sensitive to a
slight drop in voltage. After exchanging possible problems & solutions
in this news group I gave up on rechargeable batteries. I now use
cheap alkaline batteries. They last for about 40 shots. Lithium
batteries last for about 50 shots but they are three times the price.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd
http://www.easynn.com

Jürgen Exner

Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I

> I now use
> cheap alkaline batteries. They last for about 40 shots. Lithium
> batteries last for about 50 shots but they are three times the price.

40-50 shots? You must be kidding!

Not to re-kindle the dSLR versus P&S flame war, but the Li-ion batterie in
my D80 lasts _serveral_hundred_ shots in real life scenarions, meaning
including zooming, focussing, and VR of the heavy lenses and a little bit of
flash.
I don't even bother to take the charger on short weekend trips any longer.

jue

Steve Wolstenholme

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:04:57 GMT, "Jürgen Exner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

> NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
> NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I
>
>> I now use
>> cheap alkaline batteries. They last for about 40 shots. Lithium
>> batteries last for about 50 shots but they are three times the price.

>40-50 shots? You must be kidding!

No, it's about par for the course with the Coolpix 2100. No doubt more
modern cameras are considerably better.

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd
http://www.easynn.com
http://www.tropheus.demon.co.uk

ray

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
> problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
> good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
> Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
> my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
> before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
> work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
> several hours. I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to
> get a set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first
> bought it but they were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
> the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
> do about it.
>
> Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
> correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
> digital camera I've had.
>
> I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera
> a lot for work.
>
> nate

Same problem on my wife's Coolpix 2100.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Nate Nagel" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
> problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
> good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
> Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
> my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
> before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
> work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
> several hours.

That's very strange.Are you sure the NimH have received a full charge?I have
a mini mag lite (20 euros here) for more than 6 months in my tool case, with
the same set of sanyo 2000 mAh NimH and still it's going.While my still
camera runs on proprietary Li ion batteries (3.7 V 820 mAh)and with one
charge I had it going for more than 6 months.I also run a little transistor
radio for more than 4 months, with the same set of (chinese-MInWAor
something)Nimhs.(My camera is a P&S,nytech, www.nytech.de I'm not interested
in flame wars-it's very good for me)(For those of you not speaking german,
the nytech has an aluminium body, a pentax lens and a sony sensor.It's 7
megapixel.I know, it has small pixel size, but I always shoot at ISO 50
w/flash (or without).Long gone are the days when I shoot Tmax 3200 with my
Nikon FM-2 and the Nikkor 50/1.4...Now I'm older and I want convenience and
speed.Of course a dSLR is better, but how to define better?A mercedes is
better than a FIAT, but not everybody can afford a mercedes, and not
everybody *will* buy one, especially if all he wants is one car to go to
work with all his tools (like me);I'd buy a FIAT Punto Van.I like my
P&S;it's fast and takes excellent pictures, the difference is clear even on
5X4", compared to my previous one....On 8X10" it's very good, still, lots of
detail and no artifacts.
see here...
www.esnips.com/web/dimtzortzsPhotos

> I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to What is "Low

voltage"?You mean lower voltage than an alkaline?A brand new aerocell
alkaline shows 1.40 volts on my multimeter, an (almost full)MINWA chinese
1500 mAh NimH is just 1,10, while the 3,7 volt li ion for my camera is
3,60.ALL devices that take AA cells can work with NimH;the voltage
fluctuation does not matter for maglites and transistor radios, while the
cameras are *supposed* to be operating on Nimh anyway, nobody expects you to
put a new set of alkalines every week...That was true when only nicd were
available, and P&S were still film, but now nobody is supposed to use
alkalines, right?(Even the mains voltage is fluctuating 5%, now 5 past
eleven (evening)it's precisely 225 volts (nominal 230) on the computer
receptacle.The transmission voltage<the high voltage large poles you see in
country>can fluctuate 10%, but your utility uses transformers with automatic
voltage regulation,AVR, with a tap changer.Primary eg (in EU) say 150 kV,
secondary 15 kV.So, that's a 1:10 transformer.)

unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
> the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
> do about it.

No idea, too.I don't know how they engineer cameras, but they surely do take
in account that you might use rechargeable batteries, don't they? Nimhs are
around since digital cameras have become popular, and they probably evolved
together.
> Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
> correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
> digital camera I've had.

I know, me tooIn *any*?Even my crappy Kodak CX 7300 run for a couple of
dozens shots on Sanyo nicds (NB.:my current camera is made in China, but is
of excellent overall quality, and very well built, too.A small jewel.OTOH.
the Kodak was made in China too, but it's quality was someting like those
Nikons that the tab that hold the battery chamber broke off, remember?A
piece of junk.Shame on you, Nikon and Kodak!I was very pleased in the 20th
century with all Kodak films and chemicals, excellent quality all of
them.Also my Nikon FM-2 and its Nikkor glass were of utmost quality.But of
course, the chinese factories if they have good blueprints and good
materials provided, they will make excellent products, if they have crappy
blueprints and crappy plastics to boot they will produce junk
cameras.Notice, that 95% of my computer parts are made in China, including
the 17" miro CRT.Everything is working fine after 3 1/2 years, and 4-5 hours
operating every day, knock on wood.I read in wikipedia about capacitor
plague, and I thoroughly checked every mobo (QDI;chinese) but none seems to
fail.OTOH, these turkish made washing machines, that all immigrants buy,
have their motor running capacitors fail after a couple of years.On a
washing machine, it's 4 euros and a couple of minutes for an easy remedy.On
a mobo, it cam mean trashing the whole computer.Note, those turkish made
washing machines are of excellent quality and cost like 220 euros.Unlike
turkish made CRT TVs.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Nate Nagel

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> [...]

> course, the chinese factories if they have good blueprints and good
> materials provided, they will make excellent products, if they have crappy
> blueprints and crappy plastics to boot they will produce junk
> cameras.Notice, that 95% of my computer parts are made in China, including
> the 17" miro CRT.Everything is working fine after 3 1/2 years, and 4-5 hours
> operating every day, knock on wood.I read in wikipedia about capacitor
> plague, and I thoroughly checked every mobo (QDI;chinese) but none seems to
> fail.OTOH, these turkish made washing machines, that all immigrants buy,
> have their motor running capacitors fail after a couple of years.On a
> washing machine, it's 4 euros and a couple of minutes for an easy remedy.On
> a mobo, it cam mean trashing the whole computer.Note, those turkish made
> washing machines are of excellent quality and cost like 220 euros.Unlike

I guess I wasn't clear about the problem. I can take the batteries out
of the camera after the camera says the batteries are dead and they
still have a nearly full charge according to my Fluke and my Mag-Lite.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

tnom@mucks.net

Your problem may be from something other than you think.

The problem may be caused by dirty contacts either on the
batteries or the camera, or both.

It could also be caused by not using the NIMH batteries in a timely
manner because standard NIMH batteries self discharge and may be
under voltage after sitting just a month or two.

Try cleaning the contacts and purchase a set of Eneloop low self
discharge batteries.