Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless house network dropping connection across mapped drive

wireless house network dropping connection across mapped drive

Simon Sphynx

I'm having a bit of trouble solving this one, so I am wondering if
anyone else might have any ideas to try.

I have a 3Com wireless modem/router, and my network mainly consists of
a desktop upstairs on a wireless 11b PCI card (Running windows 2000
server) and a shuttle downstairs connected on ethernet (Wired) running
Windows 2000 Proffesional.

I can connect between the 2 computers fine, and I can remote connect
up to the wireless machine and use it all day without dropping
connection. I have configured the network to only use 802.11b speed
and the signal is very strong.

What happens is from the wired machine - if I map to a shared
directory on the wireless machine then it is also fine for exploring,
but as soon as I try to move a file up to it, or copy a file down from
it then the wireless machine loses all connection (Internet and
network).

I can remote connect all day without dropping the connection, and
explore the directories. It is purely happenning when I try and move a
file from one to the other.

would anyone have any ideas on things I could check to sort out this
weird little problem?

thanks in advance,

Lindsay.