Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > embeded source changed

Reply
Thread Tools

embeded source changed

 
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2007
Neredbojias wrote:

> ...Which, despite what Microsoft thinks, is actually the reason for the
> software.
>


Seems to be a trend, MS software that worked just fine that after
upgrade and "enhancement"...well Office and basic file management
Explorer come to mind.

> You sure they're mp3s, not wmas (-perhaps misidentified)? I didn't know
> one could "drm" an mp3. Furthermore, that digital rights management crap
> has made wma files, inferior anyway, the joke of the digital music age.


Nope, they're mp3s. Successfully transfered my media library from old
drive with Win2K profile to new with WinXP and worked until and my WMP
v9 was upgraded.

>
> When I first got wmp11, I was a bit surprised. It seemed to work pretty
> good (although what you say about the controls is true.) However, .aac
> (and .mp4) files were coming out about then, and _they_ are the latest
> word in superior digital music. Smaller size, better quality, and quite
> user-friendly. Does wmp11 support them? No, of course not. Why not?
> As I said before, because MS is just plain stupid. It's like Internet
> Explorer, but <grin> have no fear... In 5 or 6 years when ie8 comes out,
> it'll probably have most of the standards from 5 or 6 years back from
> today down pat. Had I been an MS decision-maker, I'd have busted my hump
> to support these new and desirable music formats, but they just go
> blithely along in their retrograde world asking where you want to go
> today for a good laugh or two before they dream up some new **** to
> alienate the end user. You gotta love it.


Had the "pleasure" to fix a Windows Vista machine lately. Firstly it is
amazing how much stuff (software and hardware) does *not* work on Vista.
Get places like network adapter setting and user profile can be an
exercise of real frustration. To transfer user profile data you need to
have access to hidden folder within a profile. For instance move a
Thunderbird mail account. Real easy, just move the contents "mail"
folder to the

[userProfile]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[salt].default\Mail

Piece of cake! On Linux, Win9x-XP...just show hidden and system folders,
right? Probably on a Mac too. Not on Vista! Had to go hunting. The only
way to get there, even while administrator, is to put the env var
%AppData% in the Run Box!

I can understand protecting the OS, especially from idiots, but the
stuff in your profile folder is supposed to be, well YOURS!

<rant>
If I buy a CD it is mine! If I buy or build a PC, it's mine. If I buy
WindowsWZ and put it on my computer, it's mine. If not, and WindowsWZ
breaks or @#^%$-up my stuff, then MS should fix it on their dime if it
is not mine!
</rant>

Sorry... lost it there a moment...


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:14:31
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

>> ...Which, despite what Microsoft thinks, is actually the reason for
>> the software.
>>

>
> Seems to be a trend, MS software that worked just fine that after
> upgrade and "enhancement"...well Office and basic file management
> Explorer come to mind.
>
>> You sure they're mp3s, not wmas (-perhaps misidentified)? I didn't
>> know one could "drm" an mp3. Furthermore, that digital rights
>> management crap has made wma files, inferior anyway, the joke of the
>> digital music age.

>
> Nope, they're mp3s. Successfully transfered my media library from old
> drive with Win2K profile to new with WinXP and worked until and my WMP
> v9 was upgraded.


Huh. Believe it or not (-and I quite believe you), I've never run into
an mp3 like that I couldn't play. True, I generally use Winamp, but I
have well over 1000 mp3s on my 'puter and most of 'em (if not all) have
been through wmp11 at some time or other. Furthermore, Winamp seems to
honor drm on wmas. In any event, it was a stupid, bad idea - at least as
far as major user consumption is concerned. Simple marketing research
should have told them that (unless those "professionals" are as bogus as
the ones at MS.)

>> When I first got wmp11, I was a bit surprised. It seemed to work
>> pretty good (although what you say about the controls is true.)
>> However, .aac (and .mp4) files were coming out about then, and _they_
>> are the latest word in superior digital music. Smaller size, better
>> quality, and quite user-friendly. Does wmp11 support them? No, of
>> course not. Why not? As I said before, because MS is just plain
>> stupid. It's like Internet Explorer, but <grin> have no fear... In
>> 5 or 6 years when ie8 comes out, it'll probably have most of the
>> standards from 5 or 6 years back from today down pat. Had I been an
>> MS decision-maker, I'd have busted my hump to support these new and
>> desirable music formats, but they just go blithely along in their
>> retrograde world asking where you want to go today for a good laugh
>> or two before they dream up some new **** to alienate the end user.
>> You gotta love it.

>
> Had the "pleasure" to fix a Windows Vista machine lately. Firstly it
> is amazing how much stuff (software and hardware) does *not* work on
> Vista. Get places like network adapter setting and user profile can be
> an exercise of real frustration. To transfer user profile data you
> need to have access to hidden folder within a profile. For instance
> move a Thunderbird mail account. Real easy, just move the contents
> "mail" folder to the
>
> [userProfile]\Application
> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[salt].default\Mail
>
> Piece of cake! On Linux, Win9x-XP...just show hidden and system
> folders, right? Probably on a Mac too. Not on Vista! Had to go
> hunting. The only way to get there, even while administrator, is to
> put the env var %AppData% in the Run Box!


I've heard there were troubles with Vista (MS's "last great hope" -
'last' meaning most recent), but what choice is there? I'm still on XP,
which is no pinnacle of excellence, either, but if/when I bought/buy a
new box...? Sure, Lixux, Unix, Mac, etc., but except for the mac, those
aren't really mainstream options, and technically by market-share, mac
isn't, either. Besides, I've gotten used to what I've gotten used to.
It's like having an old lady who doesn't put out anymore but you still
like her pickling techniques. In the early days, there were several
choices: TRS-80, Apple, Commodore, TI, and others. Now there's
basically just one. Of course, one could always dump the box and get a
cell phone thingy like the juvenile delinquents do.

> I can understand protecting the OS, especially from idiots, but the
> stuff in your profile folder is supposed to be, well YOURS!
>
> <rant>
> If I buy a CD it is mine! If I buy or build a PC, it's mine. If I buy
> WindowsWZ and put it on my computer, it's mine. If not, and WindowsWZ
> breaks or @#^%$-up my stuff, then MS should fix it on their dime if it
> is not mine!
> </rant>
>
> Sorry... lost it there a moment...


Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft?? Up
until now I thought you were a rational person.

Btw, they came out with a Window's Update 3-4 months ago which screwed up
lots of things. One of these "things" was making my box require a BIOS
update to run as smoothly as it had prior to the update. Now that's the
Microsoft we know and love so bloomin' well.

--
Neredbojias
Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2007
Neredbojias wrote:

> Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft?? Up
> until now I thought you were a rational person.


I have no illusions. How else did big Bill get his billions. I just find
the concept funny, you buy it, but you don't own it. You agree to accept
any damage or harm it might do, they are not liable, but your cannot
use it as you please nor modify it if you can fix it. You want them to
support it you must pay them but they are no obligated to fix
it...sweet! A one-way contract.


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:30:40
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft??
>> Up until now I thought you were a rational person.

>
> I have no illusions. How else did big Bill get his billions. I just
> find the concept funny, you buy it, but you don't own it. You agree to
> accept any damage or harm it might do, they are not liable, but your
> cannot use it as you please nor modify it if you can fix it. You want
> them to support it you must pay them but they are no obligated to fix
> it...sweet! A one-way contract.


Yep - the advantages of a de-facto monopoly. Nevertheless, I feel that
Microsoft's biggest negatives have come later rather than earlier. I liked
them when they first started out. Now they're just trying to make a buck
in all possible ways determined to be available and that's gonna kill them
in the end. You watch. The first real competitor that comes along will
have them crapping in their pants. If that doesn't happen, they'll still
lose by attrition of viability. I'm honestly surprised they've held sway
for so long, anyway, because in today's world, major ineptness is generally
not tolerated by the consumer.

--
Neredbojias
Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2007
Neredbojias wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:30:40
> GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
>
>> Neredbojias wrote:
>>
>>> Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft??
>>> Up until now I thought you were a rational person.

>> I have no illusions. How else did big Bill get his billions. I just
>> find the concept funny, you buy it, but you don't own it. You agree to
>> accept any damage or harm it might do, they are not liable, but your
>> cannot use it as you please nor modify it if you can fix it. You want
>> them to support it you must pay them but they are no obligated to fix
>> it...sweet! A one-way contract.

>
> Yep - the advantages of a de-facto monopoly. Nevertheless, I feel that
> Microsoft's biggest negatives have come later rather than earlier. I liked
> them when they first started out. Now they're just trying to make a buck
> in all possible ways determined to be available and that's gonna kill them
> in the end. You watch. The first real competitor that comes along will
> have them crapping in their pants. If that doesn't happen, they'll still
> lose by attrition of viability. I'm honestly surprised they've held sway
> for so long, anyway, because in today's world, major ineptness is generally
> not tolerated by the consumer.
>


I agree. In some ways I wish for them to get really threated, and get
them to go back to software that works for people that want to get stuff
done.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:00:48
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

>> Yep - the advantages of a de-facto monopoly. Nevertheless, I feel
>> that Microsoft's biggest negatives have come later rather than
>> earlier. I liked them when they first started out. Now they're just
>> trying to make a buck in all possible ways determined to be available
>> and that's gonna kill them in the end. You watch. The first real
>> competitor that comes along will have them crapping in their pants.
>> If that doesn't happen, they'll still lose by attrition of viability.
>> I'm honestly surprised they've held sway for so long, anyway,
>> because in today's world, major ineptness is generally not tolerated
>> by the consumer.
>>

>
> I agree. In some ways I wish for them to get really threated, and get
> them to go back to software that works for people that want to get
> stuff done.


That's it exactly. As with evolution, adversity dictates progress.
Microsoft has been _devolving_ the last decade or more, so perhaps (maybe)
when Bill Gates kicks the bucket, some white knight will come charging in
with an agenda containing a prime directive of something other than to
heinously impale the public.

--
Neredbojias
Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
changed state to up changed state to down FastEthernet LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN surrealarmada@gmail.com Cisco 3 03-07-2007 06:06 PM
scroll position is changed when style is changed? mxbrunet Javascript 1 11-03-2006 03:40 AM
xmlDocument.Save "&#10;" getting changed changed to "&amp;#10" st@jpa.co.jp ASP .Net 1 10-11-2005 01:30 PM
Open Source Embeded Java DB with inverted indexing and search capability sakthi Java 0 09-22-2004 11:15 AM
Mozilla 1.4 and embeded *.wav files. (Again) Roger Vicker, CCP Firefox 0 10-16-2003 05:41 PM



Advertisments