Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Drop down menu text

Drop down menu text

jcage@lycos.com

So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
works and am hoping for help... TIA

People
Dogs
Cats
=>Kittens

BootNic

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote: news:1193374270.842641.142920
@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
> that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
> works and am hoping for help... TIA
>
> People
> Dogs
> Cats
> =>Kittens

    Kittens

--
BootNic Friday October 26, 2007 1:57 AM
A conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
> that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
> works and am hoping for help... TIA
>
> People
> Dogs
> Cats
> =>Kittens

It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

Have I jumped into the middle of a thread here? Is there a url?

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit BootNic:

>> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with
>> one that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found
>> anything that works and am hoping for help... TIA
>>
>> People
>> Dogs
>> Cats
>> =>Kittens

> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kittens

No, that wouldn't do it. It does not create "=" and ">". This would:

&nbsp;=>Kittens

On the other hand, the OP is apparently trying to generate a navigational
dropdown menu. That's a wrong approach. "Links want to be links."

Followups trimmed.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ben C

On 2007-10-26, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
><(E-Mail Removed) s.com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
>> that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
>> works and am hoping for help... TIA
>>
>> People
>> Dogs
>> Cats
>> =>Kittens

> It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
> then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
> is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

No-one seems to have mentioned text-indent yet.

.selected { text-indent: 1em; }
.selected:before { content: "=>"; }

Might not work in IE.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2007-10-26, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> ><(E-Mail Removed) s.com>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> >> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
> >> that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
> >> works and am hoping for help... TIA
> >>
> >> People
> >> Dogs
> >> Cats
> >> =>Kittens

> > It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
> > then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
> > is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

> No-one seems to have mentioned text-indent yet.
>
> .selected { text-indent: 1em; }
> .selected:before { content: "=>"; }

O yeah!

> Might not work in IE.

It plays tricks (or should I say "played") tricks in MacIE. There
is this about WinIE, it may be of interest:

http://www.tanfa.co.uk/css/articles/...popups-bug.asp

--
dorayme

jcage@lycos.com

On Oct 25, 10:58 pm, BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote: news:1193374270.842641.142920
>
> @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>
> > So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
> > that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
> > works and am hoping for help... TIA

> > People
> > Dogs
> > Cats
> > =>Kittens

> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kittens
>
> --
> BootNic Friday October 26, 2007 1:57 AM
> A conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking.
> *Arthur Bloch*

Hey cool - works GREAT. Thank you very much and thanks to everyone
else who replied.

jcage@lycos.com

On Oct 26, 1:06 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scripsit BootNic:
>
> >> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with
> >> one that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found
> >> anything that works and am hoping for help... TIA

> >> People
> >> Dogs
> >> Cats
> >> =>Kittens

> > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kittens

> No, that wouldn't do it. It does not create "=" and ">". This would:
>
> &nbsp;=>Kittens
>
> On the other hand, the OP is apparently trying to generate a navigational
> dropdown menu. That's a wrong approach. "Links want to be links."
>
> Followups trimmed.
>
> --
> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Good catch - thanks.

Jonathan N. Little

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
> that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
> works and am hoping for help... TIA
>
> People
> Dogs
> Cats
> =>Kittens

Are you looking for OPTGROUP?

<select>
<optgroup label="People">
<option label="Men" value="men">Men</option>
<option label="Women" value="women">Women</option>
<option label="Children" value="children">Children</option>
</optgroup>
<optgroup label="Dogs">
<option label="Dogs" value="dogs">Dogs</option>
<option label="Bitches" value="bitches">Bitchs</option>
<option label="Puppies" value="puppies">Puppies</option>
</optgroup>
<optgroup label="Cats">
<option label="Toms" value="toms">Toms</option>
<option label="Queens" value="queens">Queens</option>
<option label=Kittens" value="kittens">Kittens</option>
</optgroup>
</select

Of course whether or not the list is indented is up to the UA.

Yes you can style the OPTION element if you are willing to accept that
IE users will not see the indent...

option.sub { padding-left: 1.5em; }

<select>
<option>People</option>
<option>Dogs</option>
<option>Cats</option>
<option class="sub">Kittens</option>
</select>

Follow ups trimmed to ciwah and alt.html, topic doesn't have anything to
do with PHP...

--
Take care,

Jonathan