Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Conditional Comment Query

Conditional Comment Query

KiwiBrian

I am running XP SP2 on a Windows PC and running the following test code.
It does not display the appropriate line of print when I run it under IE7.
It behaves as expected when I run it under Firefox.
Can anyone please explain this, and or advise where I am going wrong?

<head>
<title>blah</title>
<!--
body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
-->
</head>
<!-- [if IE7]>
<![endif]-->
<![if !IE]>
<![endif]>

TIA
Brian Tozer

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:35:39
GMT KiwiBrian scribed:

> I am running XP SP2 on a Windows PC and running the following test
> code. It does not display the appropriate line of print when I run it
> under IE7. It behaves as expected when I run it under Firefox.
> Can anyone please explain this, and or advise where I am going wrong?

> <head>
> <title>blah</title>
> <!--
> body {
> margin: 0;
> padding: 0;
> }
> -->
> </head>
> <!-- [if IE7]>
> <![endif]-->
> <![if !IE]>
> <![endif]>
>
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

It should be [if IE 7]. (You have no space.)

--
Neredbojias
Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.

Jonathan N. Little

KiwiBrian wrote:
> I am running XP SP2 on a Windows PC and running the following test code.
> It does not display the appropriate line of print when I run it under IE7.
> It behaves as expected when I run it under Firefox.
> Can anyone please explain this, and or advise where I am going wrong?

> <head>
> <title>blah</title>
> <!--

Don't need to HTML comment out your CSS, nobody is using a browser that old.

> body {
> margin: 0;
> padding: 0;
> }
> -->
> </head>
> <!-- [if IE7]>
> <![endif]-->

below code isn't it missing the "--" <!--[if !IE]>

And also since *only* IE recognizes the conventional crap the test "!IE"
would not be displayed by *any* browser! IE would recognize it and
evaluate it as false and other browsers will just ignore it an HTML comment.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

BootNic

"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
news:ffr98n$dga$(E-Mail Removed):

> KiwiBrian wrote:

[snip]
>> It behaves as expected when I run it under Firefox.
>> Can anyone please explain this, and or advise where I am going wrong?

[snip]
>> <!-- [if IE7]>

As it has already be said, you need a space between IE and 7.
There is also a space before the [ that needs to be removed.

<!--[if IE 7]>

[snip]
> below code isn't it missing the "--" <!--[if !IE]>

No its not missing anything for HTML.

> And also since *only* IE recognizes the conventional crap the test
> "!IE" would not be displayed by *any* browser! IE would recognize > it

and evaluate it as false and other browsers will just ignore it > an HTML
comment.

It is true that conditional comments are for IE, other browsers do not need
to understand them. If not IE then IE will not display it.

Other browsers should ignore the conditional comments, and when done
correctly !IE will display in browsers that are not IE. As the OP has
stated, it displays as expected in Firefox.

It is completely incorrect to say that !IE conditional comments will not
display in any browser, when done correctly.

>> <![if !IE]>
>> <![endif]>

Another option for the !IE comment would be:

[snip]

BootNic Friday October 26, 2007 1:47 AM
Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body
starts falling apart.
*Caryn Leschen*