Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Configure 1800 Router with ethernet connection

Reply
Thread Tools

Configure 1800 Router with ethernet connection

 
 
Ciscohater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2007
We no longer will be using our T1 connection we now have a dedicated
lan connecting to the web. I am new to Cisco routers. How do i
configure this Router with my settings.

Internet Provider gave me the following info and I am not sure how i
can configure it. So i am a bit confused.


Example......
External IP Address 10.1.111.34
Subnet 255.255.255.252
Gateway 10.1.111.33
DNS 127.0.0.1

Internal IP Address 10.1.55.161
Subnet 255.255.255.224


Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trendkill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2007
On Oct 25, 12:11 pm, Ciscohater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We no longer will be using our T1 connection we now have a dedicated
> lan connecting to the web. I am new to Cisco routers. How do i
> configure this Router with my settings.
>
> Internet Provider gave me the following info and I am not sure how i
> can configure it. So i am a bit confused.
>
> Example......
> External IP Address 10.1.111.34
> Subnet 255.255.255.252
> Gateway 10.1.111.33
> DNS 127.0.0.1
>
> Internal IP Address 10.1.55.161
> Subnet 255.255.255.224
>
> Thanks


configuration terminal
interface fastethernet<mod/port> (example, 1/0, you can get this from
show ip interface brief)
ip address 10.1.111.34 255.255.255.252
description External
no shut
!
interface fastethernet<mod/port>
ip address 10.1.55.161 255.255.255.224
description internal
no shut
!

Your clients will need to be configured with the gateway, and your
default route (presuming this network does not have any other segments
that need to exchange routes, is:

ip aroute 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.111.33

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trendkill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2007
On Oct 25, 12:43 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 12:11 pm, Ciscohater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
> > We no longer will be using our T1 connection we now have a dedicated
> > lan connecting to the web. I am new to Cisco routers. How do i
> > configure this Router with my settings.

>
> > Internet Provider gave me the following info and I am not sure how i
> > can configure it. So i am a bit confused.

>
> > Example......
> > External IP Address 10.1.111.34
> > Subnet 255.255.255.252
> > Gateway 10.1.111.33
> > DNS 127.0.0.1

>
> > Internal IP Address 10.1.55.161
> > Subnet 255.255.255.224

>
> > Thanks

>
> configuration terminal
> interface fastethernet<mod/port> (example, 1/0, you can get this from
> show ip interface brief)
> ip address 10.1.111.34 255.255.255.252
> description External
> no shut
> !
> interface fastethernet<mod/port>
> ip address 10.1.55.161 255.255.255.224
> description internal
> no shut
> !
>
> Your clients will need to be configured with the gateway, and your
> default route (presuming this network does not have any other segments
> that need to exchange routes, is:
>
> ip aroute 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.111.33


Oops - ip route (not ip aroute)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ciscohater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2007
Thanks so much.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ciscohater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2007
My Provider did not give me all the information and now i am confused.
This is what they sent me today.

Example:
Serial Block 10.1.11132 /30
TelCove Serial: 10.1.111..33
Customer Prem Serial: 10.1.111.34
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252

IP Address Block: 10.1.55.160 /27
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.224
Network IP Address: 10.1.55.160
Broadcast IP Address: 10.1.55.191

Thanks so much.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2007
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:39:34 -0000, Ciscohater wrote:

> My Provider did not give me all the information and now i am confused.
> This is what they sent me today.
>
> Example:
> Serial Block 10.1.11132 /30
> TelCove Serial: 10.1.111..33
> Customer Prem Serial: 10.1.111.34
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252
>
> IP Address Block: 10.1.55.160 /27
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.224
> Network IP Address: 10.1.55.160
> Broadcast IP Address: 10.1.55.191
>
> Thanks so much.



Which bit of that confuses you? There is a /30 WAN between the providers
core router and the serial interface of your router. Your side is
10.1.111.34 and the providers interface (your default gateway) is
10.1.111.33.

The other address block is what has been assigned to you for your LAN.

Chris.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ciscohater
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2007
I configured the router with the above instructions and i am unable to
connect to the internet. I also used the web interface to test the wan
connection and it errors out with user defined route.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Carr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2007
Ciscohater wrote:
> I configured the router with the above instructions and i am unable to
> connect to the internet. I also used the web interface to test the wan
> connection and it errors out with user defined route.


If you are completely brand new to Cisco then you are going to have to
do some research and learning in order to gain the knowledge of how they
work. Having your name set to "Ciscohater" wont do you much good on a
Cisco forum either.

Cisco equipment is not just a drop in replacement for cheap
netgear/linksys/dlink kit. It is complex equipment that needs to be
properly configured.

The 1800 series come with the SDM which is a software based configurator
using wizards etc. to configure the device. Personally I do not like
this and would rather configure it from the CLI. But if you do not have
the time to learn the CLI then I would advise that you use the SDM to
restore the box to factory defaults and then go through the various
wizards on the SDM for setting up the device.

Steve

--
Steve Carr
http://gpf.me.uk


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFHIta9g6K71gPSyTARAsk4AJwJtPZ59dYzMv2eyRW2Qi InYCEzvACaAndV
RKrVtv36ZGeG8GK0jTtehe8=
=qp2Q
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
Reply With Quote
 
Merv
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2007
Can you ping 10.1.111.33

Network 10.x.x.x is not a routable address with respect to reaching
Internet. Does your ISP provide Network Address Translation (NAT) as
part of its service ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ciscoserver
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2007
Able reading up on some Cisco stuff i ran the following commands and I
was able to connect but the problem is my connection is very slow. I
have a 10 meg line but I am only getting 786 speed.

Ip address's are examples.


Router>
Router>enable
Router#show running-config
Router#configure terminal
Router(config)#ip routing
Router(config)#config-register 0x2102
interface fastethernet0/0
ip address 10.1.111.34 255.255.255.252
description External
no shutdown
exit

interface fastethernet0/1
ip address 10.1.55.161 255.255.255.224
description internal
no shutdown

Router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.111.33
Router(config)#end
Router#copy running-config startup-config

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Use router ethernet interface as a layer 2 ethernet port Bod43@hotmail.co.uk Cisco 0 11-25-2006 08:55 AM
PPPoE on Ethernet Help (Cisco 1800) RobMarsh Cisco 1 09-18-2006 08:00 AM
Cisco SOHO 91 Router showing Ethernet 0 instead of Fast Ethernet 0 andyr Cisco 4 04-14-2005 01:12 PM
How to configure an analog Backup connection on Cisco 1800 Router ? Kai Cisco 1 12-13-2004 11:20 AM
Can 803 (ISDN-ethernet) work ethernet-ethernet? Peter Cisco 2 12-11-2003 11:24 PM



Advertisments