Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Watching Divx on my Divx DVD player looks crappy. ??

Watching Divx on my Divx DVD player looks crappy. ??

Erich93063

ok sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times but I cant figure
this out and I've been searching all over for some answers. I have a
Yamaha standalone DVD player that can play Divx movies. So I download
a Divx avi and when I watch it on my computer and it looks GREAT.
Crystal clear, no problems. Then I burn it onto a CD or DVD depending
how big it is and when I watch it on my DVD player it looks like crap.
It looks like there a missing frames or something. The action looks
really weird and doesn't quite sync up with the audio and it looks a
little blurry. Is there something I need to be doing besides just
slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
to set maybe?

THANKS

Mark W

"Erich93063" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> ok sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times but I cant figure
> this out and I've been searching all over for some answers. I have a
> Yamaha standalone DVD player that can play Divx movies. So I download
> a Divx avi and when I watch it on my computer and it looks GREAT.
> Crystal clear, no problems. Then I burn it onto a CD or DVD depending
> how big it is and when I watch it on my DVD player it looks like crap.
> It looks like there a missing frames or something. The action looks
> really weird and doesn't quite sync up with the audio and it looks a
> little blurry. Is there something I need to be doing besides just
> slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
> to set maybe?
>
> THANKS

Check the DVD player is capable of playing DivX at the bitrate of your
chosen AVIs, and the latest version of the codec it supports.

elrous0@pop.uky.edu

On Oct 25, 9:44 am, Erich93063 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ok sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times but I cant figure
> this out and I've been searching all over for some answers. I have a
> Yamaha standalone DVD player that can play Divx movies. So I download
> a Divx avi and when I watch it on my computer and it looks GREAT.
> Crystal clear, no problems. Then I burn it onto a CD or DVD depending
> how big it is and when I watch it on my DVD player it looks like crap.
> It looks like there a missing frames or something. The action looks
> really weird and doesn't quite sync up with the audio and it looks a
> little blurry. Is there something I need to be doing besides just
> slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
> to set maybe?

Most DVD players suck at playing Divx files. Divx requires a LOT more
CPU muscle to decode than a DVD (it's much more heavily compressed).
You're not going to find that kind of muscle in most stand-alone
players, hence you get artifacting, frame drops, poor audio/video
sync. etc.

-Eric

Mutley

>On Oct 25, 9:44 am, Erich93063 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ok sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times but I cant figure
>> this out and I've been searching all over for some answers. I have a
>> Yamaha standalone DVD player that can play Divx movies. So I download
>> a Divx avi and when I watch it on my computer and it looks GREAT.
>> Crystal clear, no problems. Then I burn it onto a CD or DVD depending
>> how big it is and when I watch it on my DVD player it looks like crap.
>> It looks like there a missing frames or something. The action looks
>> really weird and doesn't quite sync up with the audio and it looks a
>> little blurry. Is there something I need to be doing besides just
>> slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
>> to set maybe?

>Most DVD players suck at playing Divx files. Divx requires a LOT more
>CPU muscle to decode than a DVD (it's much more heavily compressed).
>You're not going to find that kind of muscle in most stand-alone
>players, hence you get artifacting, frame drops, poor audio/video
>sync. etc.
>
>-Eric

Well I have a Pioneer DV 490 and it plays all Divx, Xvid and Mpeg 4
stuff that conforms to PAL 720x576 standard or lower perfectly. Just
a pity it won't play anything of a higher resolution. Guess I need to
get a Tvix for that