Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Copying VHS to Digital Format

Copying VHS to Digital Format

Sammy bin Snoozin

I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.

I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio, PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to accomplish this with the least expense..

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Sammy bin Snoozin

PS -- I know nothing about the interconnecting hardware/cables or software.

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:HXYTi.10091$MV4.6965@trnddc03...
I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.

I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio, PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to accomplish this with the least expense..

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Don Phillipson

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to get

into my computer as MP3 or > some other common video format.

> I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio, PC,

etc. I would appreciate
> hearing what others have done to accomplish this with the least expense..

Several vendors offer software with documentations. I use
the one from www.magix.de
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Ken Maltby

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to get into
my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.

I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio, PC,
etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to accomplish this
with the least expense..

Thanks in advance.

Sam

First, a basic understanding of video and audio should
include the knowledge that MP3 is a common audio
format, not video.

Second, you will need some hardware to capture your
analog video signal and digitize it. What hardware you
will need depends on the format you want to work with
on your PC.

You could look through the Capture listing on:

www.videohelp.com

In my opinion VHS source video benefits little from
capture to DV25, so you might as well capture it to
DVD compliant MPEG. Most of the economical
editing programs will handle MPEG, now.

www.ulead.com www.magix.com

for example.

Standalone DVD Recorders have become very cheap,
so you can easily connect your VCR to one and make a
DVD-RW disk to bring the video to your PC for editing.
This will "Copy" your VHS to a Digital Format, DVD
Compliant MPEG.

Luck;
Ken

Sammy bin Snoozin

Thanks, Ken & Don!

Sammy bin Snoozin

I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to
get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.

I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio,
PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to
accomplish this with the least expense..

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Unique

Sammy bin Snoozin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
vfpZi.353$Y32.120@trnddc04,

> I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like to
> get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.
>
> I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video, audio,
> PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to
> accomplish this with the least expense..
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sam

I've had better quality with stand-alone equipment; VHS player fed into
a DVD recorder and then copy it to the computer. But if you must go
straight to the computer then you buy a PCI video capture card or box
that inputs through a USB port.

Sammy bin Snoozin

"Unique" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:473647fb$0$9552$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sammy bin Snoozin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message:
> vfpZi.353$Y32.120@trnddc04,
>
> > I have a VHS tape (home movie -not commercial) that I would like

> > get into my computer as MP3 or some other common video format.
> >
> > I'm a beginner with digital video but know the basics of video,

audio,
> > PC, etc. I would appreciate hearing what others have done to
> > accomplish this with the least expense..
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Sam

> I've had better quality with stand-alone equipment; VHS player fed

into
> a DVD recorder and then copy it to the computer. But if you must go
> straight to the computer then you buy a PCI video capture card or

box
> that inputs through a USB port.

Thanks, good advice. I'll hook up a DVD recorder. Once I get it on
DVD, how would I upload it to a website or send by email? Are there
proprietary formats for DVD files to avoid?

Sam