Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > SQL Backup

SQL Backup

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

My knowledge of SQL is very little, I will start there. I can't seem to find
the answer in BOLD text that I am looking for so I will ask the public. Is
it a fact then when using the windows based backup tool that SQL server stops
running, the backup is made, then SQL starts it self again?? Or do I
manually have to stop it, and start it? I would think I don't want the SQL
database to stop running so I am assuming they have third party software that
will backup while the database is running? Can I use the SQL integrated
backup tool instead of the windows backup tool? Or does it do the same
thing? Thanks.

TBone

And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause the

> Is it a fact then when using the windows based backup
> tool that SQL server stops running, the backup is made, then SQL
> starts it self again??

Can't say I've actually tried it, because it probably wouldn't work
anyway. Most likely, backup would skip the actual database files becuase
they were in use.

> Can I use the SQL integrated backup tool instead of the windows backup

tool? Or does it do the same thing?

Can you? How about *you should always use the integrated backup tool*.
There... its in bold or at least as best as we can do with plain text.

-------

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

John R

"Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My knowledge of SQL is very little, I will start there. I can't seem to
> find
> the answer in BOLD text that I am looking for so I will ask the public.
> Is
> it a fact then when using the windows based backup tool that SQL server
> stops
> running, the backup is made, then SQL starts it self again?? Or do I
> manually have to stop it, and start it? I would think I don't want the
> SQL
> database to stop running so I am assuming they have third party software
> that
> will backup while the database is running? Can I use the SQL integrated
> backup tool instead of the windows backup tool? Or does it do the same
> thing? Thanks.

You should use the integrated backup tool to create your DB backups, and
then use your Enterprise backup solution to backup the SQL backup files,
unless your Enterprise backup solution has an SQL plug-in.

We backup all of our SQL databases through the integrated tool at say 10pm
to a shared folder. Our Enterprise backup then backs up the share at 1am.
If we need to restore, we simply restore the backup share, and then use SQL
to pull the backup from there back into the DB. Maybe not the most
efficient way to do it, but certainly effective.

John R

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

Well I guess the sarcasm wasn't needed. Atleast I was upfront about my
little knowledge of SQL. But Thanks, I guess.

"TBone" wrote:

> And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause the
> electrons to come together and form the following words:
>
> > Is it a fact then when using the windows based backup
> > tool that SQL server stops running, the backup is made, then SQL
> > starts it self again??

> Can't say I've actually tried it, because it probably wouldn't work
> anyway. Most likely, backup would skip the actual database files becuase
> they were in use.
>
> > Can I use the SQL integrated backup tool instead of the windows backup

> tool? Or does it do the same thing?
>
> Can you? How about *you should always use the integrated backup tool*.
> There... its in bold or at least as best as we can do with plain text.
>
> -------
>
> T-Bone
> MCNGP XL

kpg*

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Well I guess the sarcasm wasn't needed. Atleast I was upfront about
> my little knowledge of SQL. But Thanks, I guess.

A simple Thank you would have sufficed. Where your manners?

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

John -

I currently have 1 SQL server 2000 in the mix. I am having troubles getting
the back up to work over the network? Have you ran into any trouble like
this? Is there a script that needs to be written to achieve this? Thanks in
advance.

"John R" wrote:

> "Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My knowledge of SQL is very little, I will start there. I can't seem to
> > find
> > the answer in BOLD text that I am looking for so I will ask the public.
> > Is
> > it a fact then when using the windows based backup tool that SQL server
> > stops
> > running, the backup is made, then SQL starts it self again?? Or do I
> > manually have to stop it, and start it? I would think I don't want the
> > SQL
> > database to stop running so I am assuming they have third party software
> > that
> > will backup while the database is running? Can I use the SQL integrated
> > backup tool instead of the windows backup tool? Or does it do the same
> > thing? Thanks.

> You should use the integrated backup tool to create your DB backups, and
> then use your Enterprise backup solution to backup the SQL backup files,
> unless your Enterprise backup solution has an SQL plug-in.
>
> We backup all of our SQL databases through the integrated tool at say 10pm
> to a shared folder. Our Enterprise backup then backs up the share at 1am.
> If we need to restore, we simply restore the backup share, and then use SQL
> to pull the backup from there back into the DB. Maybe not the most
> efficient way to do it, but certainly effective.
>
> John R

John R

We use Enterprise manager SQL Server Agent Job to backup each database to a
folder on the SQL box locally. That folder is shared on the network. Then,
Veritas comes along each night at a later time to backup the shared folder.
But to answer your question, we create the backups on the local server, and
then the backup server comes along and copies it over the network.

John R

"Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John -
>
> I currently have 1 SQL server 2000 in the mix. I am having troubles
> getting
> the back up to work over the network? Have you ran into any trouble like
> this? Is there a script that needs to be written to achieve this? Thanks
> in
> advance.
>
> "John R" wrote:
>

>> "Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My knowledge of SQL is very little, I will start there. I can't seem
>> > find
>> > the answer in BOLD text that I am looking for so I will ask the public.
>> > Is
>> > it a fact then when using the windows based backup tool that SQL server
>> > stops
>> > running, the backup is made, then SQL starts it self again?? Or do I
>> > manually have to stop it, and start it? I would think I don't want the
>> > SQL
>> > database to stop running so I am assuming they have third party
>> > software
>> > that
>> > will backup while the database is running? Can I use the SQL
>> > integrated
>> > backup tool instead of the windows backup tool? Or does it do the same
>> > thing? Thanks.

>> You should use the integrated backup tool to create your DB backups, and
>> then use your Enterprise backup solution to backup the SQL backup files,
>> unless your Enterprise backup solution has an SQL plug-in.
>>
>> We backup all of our SQL databases through the integrated tool at say
>> 10pm
>> to a shared folder. Our Enterprise backup then backs up the share at
>> 1am.
>> If we need to restore, we simply restore the backup share, and then use
>> SQL
>> to pull the backup from there back into the DB. Maybe not the most
>> efficient way to do it, but certainly effective.
>>
>> John R

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

When Veritas comes along and copies the locally saved SQL backup over the
network to my centralized storage, is there an option that will delete that
locally stored backup file or will it take administrative labor to delete
local backups? The only reason I ask is due to storage space on local SQL
machines.

"John R" wrote:

> We use Enterprise manager SQL Server Agent Job to backup each database to a
> folder on the SQL box locally. That folder is shared on the network. Then,
> Veritas comes along each night at a later time to backup the shared folder.
> But to answer your question, we create the backups on the local server, and
> then the backup server comes along and copies it over the network.
>
> John R
>

> "Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > John -
> >
> > I currently have 1 SQL server 2000 in the mix. I am having troubles
> > getting
> > the back up to work over the network? Have you ran into any trouble like
> > this? Is there a script that needs to be written to achieve this? Thanks
> > in
> > advance.
> >
> > "John R" wrote:
> >

> >> "Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> You should use the integrated backup tool to create your DB backups, and
> >> then use your Enterprise backup solution to backup the SQL backup files,
> >> unless your Enterprise backup solution has an SQL plug-in.
> >>
> >> We backup all of our SQL databases through the integrated tool at say
> >> 10pm
> >> to a shared folder. Our Enterprise backup then backs up the share at
> >> 1am.
> >> If we need to restore, we simply restore the backup share, and then use
> >> SQL
> >> to pull the backup from there back into the DB. Maybe not the most
> >> efficient way to do it, but certainly effective.
> >>
> >> John R

John R

The SQL DB maintenance plan has an option on how long to keep the backups.
We keep three days.