Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Favorite Java Books

Favorite Java Books

jwren

Hi,

Would anyone mind recommending their favorite books for learning
Java? I am an expert at C# and need a low level book to patch up my
Java foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).

Thanks,
James

Andrew Thompson

jwren wrote:
>Would anyone mind recommending their favorite books ..

Do you mean books, specifically? There are many good
web based (and downloadable*) learning resources.

>..for learning
>Java? I am an expert at C# and need a low level book to patch up my
>Java foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).

Two Java book review sites (from people literate
in Java, and passionate about books)
<http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>
<http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/technical-book-recommendations/>

* A common recommendation is 'Thinking in Java' by
Bruce Eckel, though that may be of more use to people
who have not had OO experience before. I mention it
specfically because it is freely downloadable.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Daniel Pitts

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> jwren wrote:
>> Would anyone mind recommending their favorite books ..

> Do you mean books, specifically? There are many good
> web based (and downloadable*) learning resources.
>
>> ..for learning
>> Java? I am an expert at C# and need a low level book to patch up my
>> Java foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).

> Two Java book review sites (from people literate
> in Java, and passionate about books)
> <http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>
> <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/technical-book-recommendations/>

Thanks for the plug

James

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 04:06:19 +0000, jwren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would anyone mind recommending their favorite books for learning Java?
> I am an expert at C# and need a low level book to patch up my Java
> foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).
>
> Thanks,
> James

I absolutely recommend Murach's books. I purchased Murach's Java SE 6
(Training and Reference) from a local bookstore and have already written
a GUI program and corresponding applet of my own design using Netbeans
5.5 and now Netbeans 6.0.

I have even contacted the publisher regarding a few things and received
very prompt and satisfactory replies.
--
James
*Note: Remove every other letter for correct email address

Favorite Java books, references, etc. Todd Java 3 04-24-2008 09:46 AM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Your favorite C++ books? pembed2003 C++ 2 06-12-2004 02:17 PM
Finished Courses, Selecting Books for Exam Preparation (List of Books) Mac MCSD 2 12-17-2003 01:48 PM

Advertisments