Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Software > Outlook 2007 pst file error

Closed Thread

Outlook 2007 pst file error

mlefty8 mlefty8 is offline
Junior Member

I have Office Professional 2007, with Outlook. My o/s is Vista 32x Ultimate. My pst file with all my emails has been corrupted. This was a large file, 1.7gb, so still less than the 1.8gb max, according to Microsoft tech support.

The error I received when trying to open Outlook 2007 was:
"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outl ook.pst cannot be accessed. Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

I went to MS support, article 934545 on "Error message when you start Outlook 2007 in Windows Vista: "<FileName>.pst file could not be opened."

The article suggests creating a new profile for Outlook, which I did. However, I still cannot import or repair the pst file now labeled "OLD.pst"

I tried running the Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool, but I received the error:
"An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use a disk error checking program to check the disk, and then try using the Microsoft Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool again."

I tried running the command prompt chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f, as an administrator, and after about thirty attempts, it finally ran, but that did not solve this problem.

I am out of ideas. Can anyone help me? My disk of Vista Ultimate 32x is an Upgrade CD. I had problems with my first install of Vista so I re-installed fresh and now everything works fine except for the Outlook file which will not open (this problem started occurring about a week after the second Vista upgrade).

Thank you!

zxr zxr is offline
Junior Member

Hi,your file is corrupted,for this problem,you can try a popular Outlook recovery tool called Advanced Outlook Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

bipsa bipsa is offline
Junior Member

By the time you might have got a solution to your problem or completely lost the PST file data because your outlook PST file was corrupted beyond the extent so that inbox repair tool can repair it. But anyhow in future if you come across this problem you, should try repairing the PST file with Outlook 2007 repair. It will certainly do that with its strong inbuilt scanning algorithm which is read only in nature and repairs the corruption and damages, and creates a new PST with all original entries without modifying the contents of PST file in any way.

emmythomas emmythomas is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

PST file corruption in outlook is a very common problem which cause the Outlook stop responding. Generally it is recommended to use a scanpst.exe utility to repair pst files which have the size of less than 2 GB. Your .pst file is less than 2 GB but as you have tried using scanpst then the best solution to repair a pst file is to use a third party tool. One of such tool is Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair Tool.

You can find more about this pst tool here - http://www.stellarpstrepair.blogspot.com/

Hope this will help you.

Regards

Emmy