Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > New to Vim and Vim-Python

New to Vim and Vim-Python

Daniel Folkes

I am new to using Vim's scripts.

I was wondering if anyone uses Vim-Python and how to use it? This
includes things like key bindings and such.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Folkes

Martin Marcher

Hello,

2007/10/24, Daniel Folkes <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> I am new to using Vim's scripts.
> I was wondering if anyone uses Vim-Python and how to use it? This
> includes things like key bindings and such.

are you talking about

* how to use vim?
* http://www.vi-improved.org/tutorial.php
* how to create vim scripts?
* sorry can't help (but vim.sf.net has a couple of scripts you might
want to look at)
* how to use vim to create python scripts?
1. http://www.vi-improved.org/tutorial.php
2. http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html

Personally I just left vim in favor of emacs - there's just a lot more
available that is ready to use vim emacs than with vim (in my case,
your use case may vary)

hth
martin

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

Paddy

On Oct 24, 7:25 pm, Daniel Folkes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am new to using Vim's scripts.
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses Vim-Python and how to use it? This
> includes things like key bindings and such.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Daniel Folkes
> (E-Mail Removed)

You asked at the right time
See:
http://www.builderau.com.au/program/...9283181,00.htm

projecktzero

On Oct 24, 12:25 pm, Daniel Folkes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am new to using Vim's scripts.
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses Vim-Python and how to use it? This
> includes things like key bindings and such.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Daniel Folkes
> (E-Mail Removed)

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. Do you mean writing
Vim scripts in Python? I googled, Vim-Python and found a presentation
about it.

http://www.tummy.com/Community/Prese...70225/vim.html

Or do you mean writing Python with Vim?

There's this blog entry about it.

http://www.petersblog.org/node/461

I enjoy writing python with Vim. The omni-complete works pretty well.

The TagList plug-in is pretty helpful:

Mini-buffer explorer is a good plug-in too:

SnippetsEmu is useful when I remember to trigger it for function defs
and class defs.

I also mapped a key to run the existing buffer through Pyflakes.

map <silent> <F9> :new <Bar> r!c:/Python25/python c:/Python25/scripts/
pyflakes #<CR>

You could use your favorite syntax checker like Pychecker or Pylint
instead of Pyflakes.