Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > unwanted automatic power on

unwanted automatic power on

richard

compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.

Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.

Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.

If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
battery.

Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
I haven't touched it.

What's the cure?

chuckcar

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.
>
> Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
> load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
> checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.
>
> Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.
>
> If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
> will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
> battery.
>
> Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
> does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
> I haven't touched it.
>
> What's the cure?

Replace/turn off the power switch.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.
>
>Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
>load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
>checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.
>
>Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.
>
>If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
>will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
>battery.
>
>Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
>does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
>I haven't touched it.
>
>What's the cure?

This question has been asked quite a few times with no real answer.

--

bubble wrap.
http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf

Phat Sam

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:08:34 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>compaq armada M700 windows XP HE.
>
>Upon plugging in the power to the laptop, the unit instantly begins to
>load and go. I don't even have to press the power on switch. I have
>checked the power settings and can find nothing to change.
>
>Bios? I can't find anything in it that will stop this.
>
>If I leave the battery in, unplug from the AC with the machine off, it
>will automatically boot up later and if I'm not using it, drain the
>battery.
>
>Also, I have changed my hard drive to turn off after a few minutes. It
>does, then a few minutes later the damn thing comes right back on and
>I haven't touched it.
>
>What's the cure?

You might want to turn that setting in the BIOS off that says "Boot up
at xx:XX every day" and "After power failure "Power On" or "Re-Boot",
turn it to "Stay off"