Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64 - Incomplete booting after increasing RAM

Vista 64 - Incomplete booting after increasing RAM

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

Mark, Tried the windiag option using the normal mode and the extended test.
Ran the normal test for 4 passes and the extended test for 2 passes. There
were no errors. I tried to run option 1 with a modification. Vista wouldn't
boot to Safe mode with the extra memory installed. So I booted to safe mode
with 2 GB of memory installed. Executed the program. The program required
that the computer shut down and restart and the test would be run on the
restart. I restarted and during restart shut the system down and added the
extra memory and restarted. The test ran and no errors wwere detected.
However, when the system tried to reboot it hung up and the report could not
be displayed.

Thanks for the info on windiag. One point though. Windiag does not need to
be run from a bootable floppy. Just execute mtinst and it will offer a
create floppy option. The floppy created by this option will only contain a
file called windiag. Inserting that floppy into your system with the floppy
specified as the prime boot device will result in the tests being run. For
some reason I was thinking that I had to have a MSDOS boot floppy to run
Windiag. After some failures I decided to read the instructions again (what
a concept!). Thought the problem is still there I am pretty sure that the
Motherboard recognizes the 3GB of memory. Vista seems to be having a problem
with the different manufacturers for some reason. I have an Open Suse Linux
10.3 partition on this system and it has no problem with the additional
memory. I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with Vista
activation. I don't see any indications that there is a need to reactivate
the OS, however.

jim

"Mark" wrote:

> While Vista has a built-in memory diagnostic tool, it doesn't sound like you
> can get that far.
>
> Two options I think are available:
> 1) Safe Boot to Command Prompt, then use mdsched.exe (memory diagnostic
> tool) to check for problems.
> 2) Go here and download the prior version, put on CD or Floppy and run:
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> Microsoft claims there are not known issues with this routine, but there are
> a couple of googled hits on a unique problem where the tool gets into a loop
> during it's initial test and will not exit. This is during a forced run
> while Vista is up. I do not know if this routine runs during startup when
> additional memory is detected. But, there may be a link between the two.
>

> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I increaased the RAM on my system from 1GB to 3 GB. The sticks are 2 1 GB
> > sticks and 2 512 MB sticks. As long as I keep the 2- 1GB sticks

> installed
> > Vista will not Boot completely. First It will take about 15 minutes to

> get
> > to the user selection window. Then after selection the boot process will
> > only go to the opening window with a gray portion showing where the task

> bar
> > would be located and the rest of the screen black. I will get a dialog
> > stating the Windows Explorer is not responding. It also offers two

> choices
> > Close the program
> > Wait for the program to respond.
> >
> > I first tried to wait for the program to respond. After a half an hour I
> > figured it wasn't going to so I rebooted and went through the tedious boot
> > process again. When I got the Dialog again I selected close the program.
> > This time, a few seconds later, a still picture of my usual moving pictire
> > screen appeared. However nothing else could be done.
> >
> > I did remove one of the 1 - GB sticks and the system seemed to boot
> > normally. I also checked if the BIOS recognized the new memory and it

> did.
> > The problem appears to begin after I get the initial moving bar at the
> > beginning of the windows boot process.

Dshai

A thought, on some boards, though not all, you have to alternate slots on
memory, ie: slots 1 & 3 and slots 2 & 4, perhaps trying this configuration
will allow for a successful boot into Vista.

--
Dshai

Life is limited only by those living it...
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> > stating the Windows Explorer is not responding. It also offers two

>> choices
>> > Close the program
>> > Wait for the program to respond.
>> >
>> > I first tried to wait for the program to respond. After a half an hour
>> > figured it wasn't going to so I rebooted and went through the tedious
>> > boot
>> > process again. When I got the Dialog again I selected close the
>> > program.
>> > This time, a few seconds later, a still picture of my usual moving
>> > pictire
>> > screen appeared. However nothing else could be done.
>> >
>> > I did remove one of the 1 - GB sticks and the system seemed to boot
>> > normally. I also checked if the BIOS recognized the new memory and it

>> did.
>> > The problem appears to begin after I get the initial moving bar at the

Vista and Mac OS adoption increasing--and Linux? 0.5% market share. raylopez99 ASP .Net 0 08-27-2008 10:11 AM
Issue with increasing RAM =?Utf-8?B?Sm9sc29uNzI=?= Windows 64bit 4 05-08-2007 09:39 AM
Increasing RAM David Computer Support 2 12-16-2006 03:58 AM
Increasing RAM Heather Potter Computer Support 6 06-16-2004 04:22 AM
Disk space not increasing after large deletes in Windows Jeff Computer Support 1 04-13-2004 06:52 PM

Advertisments