Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > System Restore is not working due to RPC server error

System Restore is not working due to RPC server error

=?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFz?=

Hi,

I have a problem with my Vista x64 installation. Something happened on my
system that lets 'System Protection', 'Backup and Restore center' and 'System
Restore' fail with te following message: "The transfer syntax is not
supported by the RPC server. (0x800706C2)"

I would like to revert to an earlier restore point but unfortunately this
problem prevents System Restore from working at all.

I post the message here because after some digging I found out that the
message has something to do with a 64bit (ndr64) RPC client trying to access
a 32bit (dce) RPC server? Suggesting some 64bit component got replaced by a
32bit one?

Any help would be much appreciated. Because the only other solution I see
now is to reinstall my system.

Tx, THomas.

Tom Ferguson

Would running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt be useful?

Tom
MSSMVP 1998-2007

"Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my Vista x64 installation. Something happened on
> my
> system that lets 'System Protection', 'Backup and Restore center' and
> 'System
> Restore' fail with te following message: "The transfer syntax is not
> supported by the RPC server. (0x800706C2)"
>
> I would like to revert to an earlier restore point but unfortunately
> this
> problem prevents System Restore from working at all.
>
> I post the message here because after some digging I found out that the
> message has something to do with a 64bit (ndr64) RPC client trying to
> access
> a 32bit (dce) RPC server? Suggesting some 64bit component got replaced
> by a
> 32bit one?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Because the only other solution I
> see
> now is to reinstall my system.
>
> Tx, THomas.

=?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFz?=

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately sfc did not find any violations and the problem is still
there. Might anyone know what RPC server all three applications have in
common?

Thx,

Thomas.

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Would running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt be useful?
>
> Tom
> MSSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with my Vista x64 installation. Something happened on
> > my
> > system that lets 'System Protection', 'Backup and Restore center' and
> > 'System
> > Restore' fail with te following message: "The transfer syntax is not
> > supported by the RPC server. (0x800706C2)"
> >
> > I would like to revert to an earlier restore point but unfortunately
> > this
> > problem prevents System Restore from working at all.
> >
> > I post the message here because after some digging I found out that the
> > message has something to do with a 64bit (ndr64) RPC client trying to
> > access
> > a 32bit (dce) RPC server? Suggesting some 64bit component got replaced
> > by a
> > 32bit one?
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated. Because the only other solution I
> > see
> > now is to reinstall my system.
> >
> > Tx, THomas.

=?Utf-8?B?TWNCYWlu?=

I'm having the exact same problem. I also ran the scannow thing and it said
it fixed some problems, but it didn't fix that problem. Does anyone know
what I can do to fix this? Please????

"Thomas" wrote:

> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Unfortunately sfc did not find any violations and the problem is still
> there. Might anyone know what RPC server all three applications have in
> common?
>
> Thx,
>
> Thomas.
>
> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>
> > Would running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt be useful?
> >
> > Tom
> > MSSMVP 1998-2007
> >

> > "Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a problem with my Vista x64 installation. Something happened on
> > > my
> > > system that lets 'System Protection', 'Backup and Restore center' and
> > > 'System
> > > Restore' fail with te following message: "The transfer syntax is not
> > > supported by the RPC server. (0x800706C2)"
> > >
> > > I would like to revert to an earlier restore point but unfortunately
> > > this
> > > problem prevents System Restore from working at all.
> > >
> > > I post the message here because after some digging I found out that the
> > > message has something to do with a 64bit (ndr64) RPC client trying to
> > > access
> > > a 32bit (dce) RPC server? Suggesting some 64bit component got replaced
> > > by a
> > > 32bit one?
> > >
> > > Any help would be much appreciated. Because the only other solution I
> > > see
> > > now is to reinstall my system.
> > >
> > > Tx, THomas.

Kue2

Try turning off anti-virus programs & see if that helps.

"McBain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having the exact same problem. I also ran the scannow thing and it
> said
> it fixed some problems, but it didn't fix that problem. Does anyone know
> what I can do to fix this? Please????
>
> "Thomas" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> Unfortunately sfc did not find any violations and the problem is still
>> there. Might anyone know what RPC server all three applications have in
>> common?
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> Thomas.
>>
>> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>>
>> > Would running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt be useful?
>> >
>> > Tom
>> > MSSMVP 1998-2007
>> >

>> > "Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?TWNCYWlu?=

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it, and unfortunately, I still run into
the same problem. Any thing else I can do?

"Kue2" wrote:

> Try turning off anti-virus programs & see if that helps.
>
> "McBain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm having the exact same problem. I also ran the scannow thing and it
> > said
> > it fixed some problems, but it didn't fix that problem. Does anyone know
> > what I can do to fix this? Please????
> >
> > "Thomas" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the tip.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately sfc did not find any violations and the problem is still
> >> there. Might anyone know what RPC server all three applications have in
> >> common?
> >>
> >> Thx,
> >>
> >> Thomas.

=?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFz?=

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't do the trick for me either. I
haven't encountered any other problems with my system sofar. Except for those
three for maintenance quite critical programs.

Btw. when I run System Restore from the Vista DVD (at least tried to) I get
the same issue.

Tx, Thomas.

"Kue2" wrote:

> Try turning off anti-virus programs & see if that helps.
>
> "McBain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm having the exact same problem. I also ran the scannow thing and it
> > said
> > it fixed some problems, but it didn't fix that problem. Does anyone know
> > what I can do to fix this? Please????
> >
> > "Thomas" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the tip.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately sfc did not find any violations and the problem is still
> >> there. Might anyone know what RPC server all three applications have in
> >> common?
> >>
> >> Thx,
> >>
> >> Thomas.

Dennis Pack

Thomas:
Refer to the article at
http://askbobrankin.com/rpc_server_unavailable.html, for possibly a missing
or corrupt registry entry. When it comes to the registry I'm of no help but
may be able to help. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
"Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my Vista x64 installation. Something happened on my
> system that lets 'System Protection', 'Backup and Restore center' and
> 'System
> Restore' fail with te following message: "The transfer syntax is not
> supported by the RPC server. (0x800706C2)"
>
> I would like to revert to an earlier restore point but unfortunately this
> problem prevents System Restore from working at all.
>
> I post the message here because after some digging I found out that the
> message has something to do with a 64bit (ndr64) RPC client trying to
> access
> a 32bit (dce) RPC server? Suggesting some 64bit component got replaced by
> 32bit one?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Because the only other solution I see
> now is to reinstall my system.
>
> Tx, THomas.

System Restore won't restore Jimi Computer Support 6 05-17-2006 01:28 AM
System restore will no longer restore Larry Hale Computer Support 2 03-16-2006 06:14 PM
Can't Print Due to "RPC Server Unavailable" =?Utf-8?B?d2VsbHNpZQ==?= Wireless Networking 0 11-03-2005 07:21 PM
rpc (not xml-rpc) Vladimir Konrad Ruby 5 09-03-2005 02:18 PM
Re: System Restore won't restore WinXP Pro NEMISIES Computer Support 0 06-27-2003 12:22 AM

Advertisments