Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Hardware requirements for MCSE self study?

Hardware requirements for MCSE self study?

jdunning@dsl.pipex.com

I am planning in embark on a self study for the MCSE certification
hopefully funded by my current employer.

In the mean time I am looking for a lab environment setup for hands
on
training. I am considering purchasing 2 machines running
windows 2003 server, and VMWare Workstation for virtual desktop
machines.

Would anybody recommend this configuration?

Regards
James

=?Utf-8?B?QXNob2s=?=

I think it is sufficient for your self study. Good luck for your exams

Ashok
v.s MCSE

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> I am planning in embark on a self study for the MCSE certification
> hopefully funded by my current employer.
>
> In the mean time I am looking for a lab environment setup for hands
> on
> training. I am considering purchasing 2 machines running
> windows 2003 server, and VMWare Workstation for virtual desktop
> machines.
>
> Would anybody recommend this configuration?
>
> Regards
> James

Digna_MA

On Oct 23, 6:34 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am planning in embark on a self study for the MCSE certification
> hopefully funded by my current employer.
>
> In the mean time I am looking for a lab environment setup for hands
> on
> training. I am considering purchasing 2 machines running
> windows 2003 server, and VMWare Workstation for virtual desktop
> machines.
>
> Would anybody recommend this configuration?
>
> Regards
> James

You might consider a higher end desktop with the VMWare or Virtual PC
software. You can create a very nice AD environment with multiple
servers/client machines installed from the eval software. (1 or 2 DCs,
1 non-DC server and 1 client machine should do it). You don't get the
full affect of lag/latency but in general you can learn pretty much
anything with that setup. The VirtualPC borrows RAM from your base
desktop but it doesn't create too much of a problem (if you run 3-4GB
RAM) because you really don't have anything too intensive. Also, it's
a hell of a lot cheaper than buying 2 boxes and the server software
(unless you plan to buy anyway and setup as a test environment to
later roll out to production.)