Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > lab 4 - 70-320

lab 4 - 70-320

=?Utf-8?B?Y2Jt?=

Hello

I have done lab #4 from the self-paced training kit book for exam 70-320 and
it does not work. It is a very simple example of .net remoting . The server
and the clients run fine but clients do not seem to receive messages from
other clients (event based chat application).

Has anyone has implemented it successfully?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Thx.

=?Utf-8?B?Y2Jt?=

Well, since no one is answering, I'll answer myself.

I found out that the lab from chapter 4 does not work with .NET framework
1.1 due to changes in the serialization security:

"Any remoting system that relies on run-time type validation must
deserialize a remote stream to begin using it, and malicious clients could
use the moment of serialization or deserialization to the detriment of your
application. To protect against such clients, .NET remoting provides two
levels of automatic deserialization, Low and Full. Low is the default value,
and enables most basic remoting functionality, such as automatic
deserialization of remoting infrastructure types, and a limited set of
system-implemented types. Full supports automatic deserialization of all
types that remoting supports in all situations. "

The default level "low" is not enough for lab 4.

To make it work change the config files to either:
(1)(central)
<channels>
<channel ref="http" port="8080">
<serverProviders>
<formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
</serverProviders>
</channel>
</channels>

(1)(client)
<channels>
<channel ref="http" port="0">
<serverProviders>
<formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
</serverProviders>
</channel>
</channels>

or

(2)(central)
<channel ref="http" port="8080">
<serverProviders>
<formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
</serverProviders>
<clientProviders>
<formatter ref="binary" />
</clientProviders>
</channel>

(2)(client)
<channel ref="http" port="0">
<serverProviders>
<formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
</serverProviders>
<clientProviders>
<formatter ref="binary" />
</clientProviders>
</channel>

Maybe this will help someone one day

"cbm" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have done lab #4 from the self-paced training kit book for exam 70-320 and
> it does not work. It is a very simple example of .net remoting . The server
> and the clients run fine but clients do not seem to receive messages from
> other clients (event based chat application).
>
> Has anyone has implemented it successfully?
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thx.

=?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?=

Hi cbm,

Sorry for seeing this nesage so late, but I ma actually preparing as well on
my last exam for MCAD and after to MCSD and I am actually facing to teh same
trouble as you in the chat bexample it is not working at all, and I have post
also the issu on msdn but bno answer

How did you point to the solution, what was your approch to find it out?

In this MS press book I face many time with non working sample on remoting
and COm+ sample as well.

The worst is that, they present example when they are all runing on the same
system, but then I try to the real physical remoting by installing the client
and the server on different physical machine and here start really the mess,
and could not get any explaination on how to mak it work, even with the
simple HEllo sample was not working

regards
serge

"cbm" wrote:

> Well, since no one is answering, I'll answer myself.
>
> I found out that the lab from chapter 4 does not work with .NET framework
> 1.1 due to changes in the serialization security:
>
> "Any remoting system that relies on run-time type validation must
> deserialize a remote stream to begin using it, and malicious clients could
> use the moment of serialization or deserialization to the detriment of your
> application. To protect against such clients, .NET remoting provides two
> levels of automatic deserialization, Low and Full. Low is the default value,
> and enables most basic remoting functionality, such as automatic
> deserialization of remoting infrastructure types, and a limited set of
> system-implemented types. Full supports automatic deserialization of all
> types that remoting supports in all situations. "
>
> The default level "low" is not enough for lab 4.
>
> To make it work change the config files to either:
> (1)(central)
> <channels>
> <channel ref="http" port="8080">
> <serverProviders>
> <formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> </serverProviders>
> </channel>
> </channels>
>
> (1)(client)
> <channels>
> <channel ref="http" port="0">
> <serverProviders>
> <formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> </serverProviders>
> </channel>
> </channels>
>
> or
>
> (2)(central)
> <channel ref="http" port="8080">
> <serverProviders>
> <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> </serverProviders>
> <clientProviders>
> <formatter ref="binary" />
> </clientProviders>
> </channel>
>
> (2)(client)
> <channel ref="http" port="0">
> <serverProviders>
> <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> </serverProviders>
> <clientProviders>
> <formatter ref="binary" />
> </clientProviders>
> </channel>
>
> Maybe this will help someone one day
>
> "cbm" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have done lab #4 from the self-paced training kit book for exam 70-320 and
> > it does not work. It is a very simple example of .net remoting . The server
> > and the clients run fine but clients do not seem to receive messages from
> > other clients (event based chat application).
> >
> > Has anyone has implemented it successfully?
> > Any suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Thx.

=?Utf-8?B?Y2Jt?=

Hello serge

Well, it was not easy to find the solution. I also find it very frustrating
that the examples from the MS book don't work and, worse of all, that there
is no official site giving the correct sample.

For the lab 4 example, I just searched the net until I found a couple of
people mentioning differences between framework 1.0 and 1.1. By trying
different things in the config files, I finally understood.

Good luck and let's not loose hope: maybe someone will help us with the lab 5.

When are you passing the exam?
Mine is 3 and 1/2 weeks ahead.

CBM

"serge calderara" wrote:

> [...]
> > </clientProviders>
> > </channel>
> >
> > (2)(client)
> > <channel ref="http" port="0">
> > <serverProviders>
> > <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> > </serverProviders>
> > <clientProviders>
> > <formatter ref="binary" />
> > </clientProviders>
> > </channel>
> >
> > Maybe this will help someone one day
> >
> > "cbm" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have done lab #4 from the self-paced training kit book for exam 70-320 and
> > > it does not work. It is a very simple example of .net remoting . The server
> > > and the clients run fine but clients do not seem to receive messages from
> > > other clients (event based chat application).
> > >
> > > Has anyone has implemented it successfully?

I plan to pass the 70-310 (VB) exam within two weeks.
For me was is really unclera and I really wondering how often it is used in
real life is all concerned COM +

I have also post many post msdn, web service and remoting
you can have a look it might gives you some answers too or even helping me
in some others.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...xp=&sloc=en-us

I have to say that under remoting forum they are quite calm, not so many
active sometime I am like you I find out the silution my self after fighting
a lot.

What is your appoach to go safely on the exam ? are you going to do labs
again and again ?

For me according my past experience in those exam, was that labs was really
soft compare to some question you get , I was planning to my a kind of real
application which cover more or less the whole chapter. Depends on the time.

Example: I could build a windows service which hold a remote object using
COm + service and collecting database information. Then build a web service
which request part of those data and then export them under an xml file on
which I apply a XSLT and publish then .

What do you think ?

regards
serge

Good luck to you if we are not get in touch again

"cbm" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > (1)(client)
> > > <channels>
> > > <channel ref="http" port="0">
> > > <serverProviders>
> > > <formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> > > </serverProviders>
> > > </channel>
> > > </channels>
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > (2)(central)
> > > <channel ref="http" port="8080">
> > > <serverProviders>
> > > <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> > > </serverProviders>
> > > <clientProviders>
> > > <formatter ref="binary" />
> > > </clientProviders>
> > > </channel>
> > >
> > > (2)(client)
> > > <channel ref="http" port="0">
> > > <serverProviders>
> > > <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />

I just got my MCAD today