Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Do I install .NET Framework x86 or x64?

Do I install .NET Framework x86 or x64?

mjs

Running on XP x64...

Software I'm trying to install says it requires .NET Framework to work.

Visiting Microsoft.com, I see that the latest version is 3, and that it is
available in both x86 and x64 flavors.

The software requiring it is 32 bits.

Which of the x86 and x64 versions of .NET Framework do I install in this
scenario?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

If your app is 32-bit then you need the x86 .NET framework.
Carlos

"mjs" wrote:

> Running on XP x64...
>
> Software I'm trying to install says it requires .NET Framework to work.
>
> Visiting Microsoft.com, I see that the latest version is 3, and that it is
> available in both x86 and x64 flavors.
>
> The software requiring it is 32 bits.
>
> Which of the x86 and x64 versions of .NET Framework do I install in this
> scenario?

mjs

Then it's possible to have both x86 and x64 versions of the same framework
installed on an OS?

Because other programs may run at 64 bits and require .net framework as
well.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your app is 32-bit then you need the x86 .NET framework.
> Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

mjs:
Yes, it is possible.
Carlos

"mjs" wrote:

> Then it's possible to have both x86 and x64 versions of the same framework
> installed on an OS?
>
> Because other programs may run at 64 bits and require .net framework as
> well.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If your app is 32-bit then you need the x86 .NET framework.
> > Carlos

mjs

"This product is not supported on 64-bit operating systems"

If I can't install 32-bit .NET Framework on x64, and a 32-bit app requires
..NET Framework to work, then I can't use this application on 64-bit Windows
XP!

Someone please tell me it ain't so!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mjs:
> Yes, it is possible.
> Carlos
>
> "mjs" wrote:
>
>> Then it's possible to have both x86 and x64 versions of the same
>> framework
>> installed on an OS?
>>
>> Because other programs may run at 64 bits and require .net framework as
>> well.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > If your app is 32-bit then you need the x86 .NET framework.
>> > Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP

Carlos - are you sure? I _believe_ that the x64 version includes the
necessary WOW64 version of .NET Framework. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the
first time. But I've only ever installed the x64 version on my machines.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mjs:
> Yes, it is possible.
> Carlos
>
> "mjs" wrote:
>
>> Then it's possible to have both x86 and x64 versions of the same
>> framework
>> installed on an OS?
>>
>> Because other programs may run at 64 bits and require .net framework as
>> well.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > If your app is 32-bit then you need the x86 .NET framework.
>> > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Charlie:
I think you are right.
Somehow I messed up the .NET framework thing with the VC++ redists in my mind.
The x64 version will just do it.

Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Carlos - are you sure? I _believe_ that the x64 version includes the
> necessary WOW64 version of .NET Framework. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the
> first time. But I've only ever installed the x64 version on my machines.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > mjs:
> > Yes, it is possible.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "mjs" wrote:
> >
> >> Then it's possible to have both x86 and x64 versions of the same
> >> framework
> >> installed on an OS?
> >>
> >> Because other programs may run at 64 bits and require .net framework as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

mjs:
Sorry, I misled you.
Just download and install the 64-bit version.
That should take care of both your 64-bit and 32-bit apps.
Carlos