Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Veiw Avalible Wireless Networks Blank

Veiw Avalible Wireless Networks Blank

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=

Hello my name is Tommy, I am using XP Home with a USB wireless adapter and
when I try to View Available wireless networks everything is grayed out and
no networks show, I have tried another adapter and get the same thing, I have
used another notebook with the current usb adapters and everything works
fine. Windows is still SP1 on this machine. I using a Linksys WUSB54G
adapter.
This was a working network, everything worked, the adapter the computer, the
network, and now it doesn't. The adapter is still good, so my question is
why can't I view available networks, I know that it is not bad drivers
for the adapter as I have installed a different adapter and still can't see
any available networks. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Could this be a Virus? Thanks Tommy

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 29-Jan-2006, "=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This was a working network, everything worked, the adapter the computer, the
> network, and now it doesn't. The adapter is still good, so my question is
> why can't I view available networks, I know that it is not bad drivers
> for the adapter as I have installed a different adapter and still can't see
> any available networks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

WinXP has extensive diagnostics under Administrative Tools, showing
which services are started, stopped, and how they are started, auto,
manual, or stopped so that the don't start. There are also logs, with
warning and error messages. You can also view the hardware status
to find devices with error warnings to say that they aren't (or are no
longer) working.
Netstumbler is free software to see what networks are available to
connect to. It is of no use if your network adapter isn't working,
or configured properly.
Do extensive virus and trojan scans, there is plenty of free software
available. Start with Grisoft Free. Acronis Privacy Expert is good, and
they do interact with their users through their forums. AdAware and
Spybot get almost daily updates. With a battery of these you
should find any nasties on your system.
Generally it is not of the nature of viruses and trojans to block
or disable network access since most try to set up backdoors
to spy on you, so as to faciliate identity theft, install rogue
dialers and the like. Some are malicious and destroy critical files
putting the contents of your system beyond economic recovery.
Hence the help, but I haven't go a backup messages.