Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot connect my XP edition to my ME edition to open shared files

Cannot connect my XP edition to my ME edition to open shared files

=?Utf-8?B?TGFlMTM1?=

Hi! I have successfully (I think) made a home network connection between this
computer (running XP) and another computer (running Windows ME edition). I
connect via a wireless router and I have cable access for internet
connection.

My problem is, I can access the documents housed on the XP computer on the
ME computer but I cannot connect the XP computer to the ME computer to open
the shared docs housed on the ME computer. I am able to open up any shared
folder from the XP computer on the ME computer. So I think I did something
right.

Under “My Network Places” on the XP computer, I can see the files I shared
on the ME computer. A window pops up when I click on the folder housing
files on the ME computer stating it is connecting to the ME computer. I enter
the password and it never connects. No other window pops up. What am I doing
wrong??

Thanks Linda

Carey Holzman

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"Lae135" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi! I have successfully (I think) made a home network connection between
> this
> computer (running XP) and another computer (running Windows ME edition). I
> connect via a wireless router and I have cable access for internet
> connection.
>
> My problem is, I can access the documents housed on the XP computer on the
> ME computer but I cannot connect the XP computer to the ME computer to
> open
> the shared docs housed on the ME computer. I am able to open up any shared
> folder from the XP computer on the ME computer. So I think I did
> something
> right.
>
> Under "My Network Places" on the XP computer, I can see the files I shared
> on the ME computer. A window pops up when I click on the folder housing
> files on the ME computer stating it is connecting to the ME computer. I
> enter
> the password and it never connects. No other window pops up. What am I
> doing
> wrong??
>
> Thanks Linda

=?Utf-8?B?TGFlMTM1?=

Carey. I went through your website and performed the entire set of
instructions and still the XP won't connect to the ME computer to open the
files it sees in the "My Network Places".

Linda

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "Lae135" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi! I have successfully (I think) made a home network connection between
> > this
> > computer (running XP) and another computer (running Windows ME edition). I
> > connect via a wireless router and I have cable access for internet
> > connection.
> >
> > My problem is, I can access the documents housed on the XP computer on the
> > ME computer but I cannot connect the XP computer to the ME computer to
> > open
> > the shared docs housed on the ME computer. I am able to open up any shared
> > folder from the XP computer on the ME computer. So I think I did
> > something
> > right.
> >
> > Under "My Network Places" on the XP computer, I can see the files I shared
> > on the ME computer. A window pops up when I click on the folder housing
> > files on the ME computer stating it is connecting to the ME computer. I
> > enter
> > the password and it never connects. No other window pops up. What am I
> > doing
> > wrong??
> >
> > Thanks Linda

Carey Holzman

What is the exact error message you get and when do you get it?

Carey

"Lae135" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey. I went through your website and performed the entire set of
> instructions and still the XP won't connect to the ME computer to open the
> files it sees in the "My Network Places".
>
> Linda
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Lae135" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi! I have successfully (I think) made a home network connection
>> > between
>> > this
>> > computer (running XP) and another computer (running Windows ME
>> > edition). I
>> > connect via a wireless router and I have cable access for internet
>> > connection.
>> >
>> > My problem is, I can access the documents housed on the XP computer on
>> > the
>> > ME computer but I cannot connect the XP computer to the ME computer to
>> > open
>> > the shared docs housed on the ME computer. I am able to open up any
>> > shared
>> > folder from the XP computer on the ME computer. So I think I did
>> > something
>> > right.
>> >
>> > Under "My Network Places" on the XP computer, I can see the files I
>> > shared
>> > on the ME computer. A window pops up when I click on the folder
>> > housing
>> > files on the ME computer stating it is connecting to the ME computer. I
>> > enter
>> > the password and it never connects. No other window pops up. What am I
>> > doing
>> > wrong??
>> >
>> > Thanks Linda

=?Utf-8?B?TGFlMTM1?=

I don't get an error message. The hourglass just stays on..........

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> What is the exact error message you get and when do you get it?
>
> Carey
>
> "Lae135" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Carey. I went through your website and performed the entire set of
> > instructions and still the XP won't connect to the ME computer to open the
> > files it sees in the "My Network Places".
> >
> > Linda
> >
> > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
> >
> >> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
> >>
> >> Carey
> >>
> >> "Lae135" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?TGFlMTM1?=

The screen that pops up for me to input the password has 2 keys in the upper
left corner. I did unistall Norton System Works on the ME computer. I thought
the password manager may have been the cause...however, no it was not. I
still cannot connect the XP to the ME....

"Lae135" wrote:

> I don't get an error message. The hourglass just stays on..........
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
> > What is the exact error message you get and when do you get it?
> >
> > Carey
> >
> > "Lae135" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Carey. I went through your website and performed the entire set of
> > > instructions and still the XP won't connect to the ME computer to open the
> > > files it sees in the "My Network Places".
> > >
> > > Linda

Carey Holzman

Unshare everything on the ME computer and then reshare one folder and see if
you can access it from the other PC.