Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Analog Dialup

Wireless Analog Dialup

Alister

Hi,
I currently run a wired network with a mix of Windows and Linux PC's
My Internet connection is a 56K dialup connection (broadband not
available in my area)
I need to implement a wireless link to my internet connection.
Currently the Internet is shared by proxy firewall software on a
windows PC.

If I buy a wireless gateway router, can I connect the single PC with
the dialup to the router through the ADSL Lan connection?

Or if not, How can I share the dialup wirelessly.

Thanks.

Alastair.

Alister

I wrote:

> Hi,
> I currently run a wired network with a mix of Windows and Linux PC's
> My Internet connection is a 56K dialup connection (broadband not
> available in my area)
> I need to implement a wireless link to my internet connection.
> Currently the Internet is shared by proxy firewall software on a
> windows PC.
>
> If I buy a wireless gateway router, can I connect the single PC with
> the dialup to the router through the ADSL Lan connection?
>
> Or if not, How can I share the dialup wirelessly.

Having now read some other recent threads (sorry) it appears that I can
connect
a Wireless router to my host pc through one of its standard LAN ports
with a crossover.

However, further questions:

Since I already have a proxy server and firewall on the host PC, do I
actually need a
wireless router, or can I just stick a PCI Wireless card in the PC and
use the PC
as a combined wired / wireless router?

Is the RF output (and therefore range) of a wireless card any less than
a router?

Thanks in advance,

Alastair.

Jack