Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Is HiDef really an upgrade?

Is HiDef really an upgrade?

Derek Janssen

Richard C. wrote:

>> At the same time, not everyone is going to be upgrading to a large
>> screen. Also, the vast majority of programming is still in SD.

> ===============================
> Not true - 90% of prime time network TV is now in HD.
> Many daytime shows are in HD ( even soaps and news).

Practically ALL network sports have been in HD for a number of years now.
(Football bars don't watch soaps, you know.)

>> HD programming is still pretty scarce,

> See above. I hae not watched any shows that were in SD in several years.

We've got HD affiliates for all Big Seven networks in our area (assuming
Fox, CW and PBS count), and practically the only things still showing in
SD are reality shows, kids' cartoons and reruns. And you can have 'em.

>> HD may be the future, but it's not quite a necessity yet. Probably won't
>> be for at least another 10 years.

> Sorry, but HD is NOW!

And HD is WOW!

(Sorry, but you hear good advertising lead-ins like that, and...y'know...)

Derek Janssen

Derek Janssen

Richard C. wrote:
> "Doug Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Luke Hooft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's really just a future-proofing thing where eventually we'll
>>> have such big screens that SD will just not look good on it. 1080p
>>> projectors, for example, are getting more affordable, and that's
>>> definitely going to need HD to look really good.

>> At the same time, not everyone is going to be upgrading to a large
>> screen. Also, the vast majority of programming is still in SD.

> ===============================
> Not true - 90% of prime time network TV is now in HD.
> Many daytime shows are in HD ( even soaps and news).
> Sorry, but HD is NOW!

In fact, it's been fun watching Jacobs try and keep the
Blu-D00d-Must-Die banner flying as Snarky Conscientious Objector, even
as the War seems ready to resolve itself:

Going back over the arguments, you can see his own brief history of
Pre-War Isolationism^1 :
"Who cares about hi-def, there aren't any screens or programming anyway..."
"I've got the screens, got a good deal LCD for $750, they look great,
and all our local networks broadcast!"
"Yeah, well, what's so great about Blu-ray, they don't have a player, it
can't do anything right now, and it's too expensive!"
"Actually, just got a PS3 for $400, it's all loaded up with the current
wireless system-updates, and it's even the best Sony DVD-upconvert
player out there."
"Hah, well, the war's going to go on for years, because the public are
dopey non-tech idiots, and they want to play Transformers on $150 HD
players!"
"Actually, Paramount's been taking bad PR over customer problems on
their Transformers disks, and there's been a number of 'defective' returns."
"Yeah...well.......after a month or two of disks, you probably won't
even LIKE it!"

Derek Janssen (it's hard to face a changing world when peace breaks out)
(E-Mail Removed)
-----
1 - I mean, not to invoke Godwin, but am I the only one who thinks "Who
cares about that silly format war; it's only for techies, but at least
it's getting the prices down!" keeps sounding eerily like 1938's "Who
cares what that silly painter is doing in Europe; at least they're
getting the factories running!"?

Doug Jacobs

Richard C. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ===============================
> Not true - 90% of prime time network TV is now in HD.
> Many daytime shows are in HD ( even soaps and news).
> ===============================

Maybe so, but network TV makes up a small portion of what I watch on TV.

Most cable/satellite stations are still SD.

--
It's not broken. It's...Advanced.

Derek Janssen

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> Richard C. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>===============================
>>Not true - 90% of prime time network TV is now in HD.
>>Many daytime shows are in HD ( even soaps and news).
>>===============================

> Maybe so, but network TV makes up a small portion of what I watch on TV.
>
> Most cable/satellite stations are still SD.

Most cable/satellite stations have HD splinter networks.

(Oh, what are we going to use now?:
"Yeah, but you have to pay for them!" or "Yeah, but they don't show very
much!...
Or, wait, are we going to overpersonalize it again?: "Yeah, but they
don't carry them in my neighborhood!"?)

Derek Janssen (or how about "Yeah, but they're not very good!"?)
(E-Mail Removed)

ChairmanOfTheBored

Who gives a **** what a retard like you watches?

>Most cable/satellite stations are still SD.

You're full of ****. ALL channels are digitized now. Their content
MAY have come from analog sources, but even that number is in decline.
Many channels have companion feeds that are high res. Only ****tards
like you watch the Science Channel in SD.

Derek Janssen

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:23:59 -0000, Doug Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>>>===============================
>>>Not true - 90% of prime time network TV is now in HD.
>>>Many daytime shows are in HD ( even soaps and news).
>>>===============================

>>Maybe so, but network TV makes up a small portion of what I watch on TV.

> Who gives a **** what a retard like you watches?
>
>>Most cable/satellite stations are still SD.

> You're full of ****. ALL channels are digitized now. Their content
> MAY have come from analog sources, but even that number is in decline.
> Many channels have companion feeds that are high res. Only ****tards
> like you watch the Science Channel in SD.

What's even more humiliating is that Bored Johnson Is Right:
Not only does every SD station now have a ATSC digital simulcast--and
every local cable provider carrying them by law--but HDTV
splinter-networks are already becoming the new breakout craze for
cable-channel franchises.

Can't really say for sure how many, as our area only gets the HDTV
spinoff channels for Sci-Fi, HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, ESPN, ESPN2,
Food, Discovery, Travel, A&E, National Geographic, Home&Garden, Cartoon
Network, TNT, CNN, and On-Demand movies, but I'm sure there're other new
ones out there too...

Derek Janssen (it's fun when you can smart-slap *two* posters)
(E-Mail Removed)

Richard C.

"Doug Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard C. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ===============================
>> Not true - 90% of prime time network TV is now in HD.
>> Many daytime shows are in HD ( even soaps and news).
>> ===============================

> Maybe so, but network TV makes up a small portion of what I watch on TV.
>
> Most cable/satellite stations are still SD.

============================
Only because that is what your provider is giving you!

MANY also have HD feeds.

Doug Jacobs

ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You're full of ****. ALL channels are digitized now. Their content
> MAY have come from analog sources, but even that number is in decline.
> Many channels have companion feeds that are high res. Only ****tards
> like you watch the Science Channel in SD.

Idiot. Being "digital" has nothing to do with HDTV.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

grant kinsley

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 19:50:29 -0000, Doug Jacobs
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You're full of ****. ALL channels are digitized now. Their content
>> MAY have come from analog sources, but even that number is in decline.
>> Many channels have companion feeds that are high res. Only ****tards
>> like you watch the Science Channel in SD.

>Idiot. Being "digital" has nothing to do with HDTV.

Hell in Canada I get east and west networks, PBS, CTV, CBC, Showcase,
National Geo, 2 Movie Channels, WGN, 2 sports networks and about a
dozen french channels in HD, for no extra cost over the basic package,
and then there is a PPV movies channel, and another 3 specialty
channels for a big fat 4 bucks (HDNET, Discovery HD and A&E HD)

About the only stuff I don't watch in HD is the travel channel, and
I'm sure the HD version of that will show up soon.

Only a maroon thinks that HD sources are rare.

Doug Jacobs

Richard C. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MANY also have HD feeds.

True, but it's still not the majority - and there are some rather odd
gaps. For instance, why don't Sci-Fi and Comedy Central offer HD? Then
there's the hilariously mis-named "Tech TV" which isn't in HD. I heard
Cartoon Network recently started a HD feed, though Dish Network hasn't
started offering it yet. Then again, I have to wonder...what is the
purpose of CN in HD at all? Most of their shows are still going to be 4:3
SD. None of the news channels offer HD, which again seems rather silly.
CSPAN doesn't...well, who watches CSPAN anyways?

The movie channels do offer HD, but I don't subscribe to those.

Some of the smaller local channels by me don't offer HD - like KTSF, which
carries a lot of non-English programs, including the Chinese
comedy/variety programs my wife likes.

Even those channels that do have a HD feed, don't always carry the same
programming. Food Network HD has a totally different schedule compared to
the regular, non-HD Food Network. This is probably because not all of
Food Network's shows (or even episodes) are HD. However it's still a bit
annoying to get a HD feed from a network but still not be able to watch a
particular show of theirs in HD.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.