Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Surge Protector Question

Surge Protector Question

Greg

Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a 15
minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a surge
protector prevent this? Or was the drive doomed because of the number of
times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power loss? The
tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on a printer.
He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a situation like
this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.

Thanks,
Greg

Evan Platt

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:58:23 -0500, "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
>Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a 15
>minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a surge
>protector prevent this?

A surge protector can prevent SPIKES of power (too much power) but
can't do anything if power drops.

>Or was the drive doomed because of the number of
>times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power loss? The
>tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on a printer.

Really? Is he smoking something?

>He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a situation like
>this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.

He's correct on that.

olfart

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mR2Ti.7106$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
> Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a
> 15 minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a
> surge protector prevent this? Or was the drive doomed because of the
> number of times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power
> loss? The tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on
> a printer. He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a
> situation like this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Get a UPS that will handle the wattage of the printer. Check the APC
website. It will protect against intermittant power outages like you
describe. The tech was half right...a surge protector won't help, but hes
off base on the UPS. Tell him not to quit his second job at McDonalds....he
might need it full time.

Whiskers

On 2007-10-22, Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:58:23 -0500, "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
>>Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a 15
>>minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a surge
>>protector prevent this?

> A surge protector can prevent SPIKES of power (too much power) but
> can't do anything if power drops.
>
>>Or was the drive doomed because of the number of
>>times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power loss? The
>>tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on a printer.

> Really? Is he smoking something?

The instructions for my little Belkin UPS say some laser printers might
cause problems if run off the same (little Belkin) UPS as a computer.

I'd say that the copier makers would be the best people to go to for
advice, but it seems reasonable to suppose that a UPS with suitable
characteristics should be just fine - and a very good addition to the
copier if the mains supply is as unreliable as it sounds. That might be a
much beefier UPS than is suitable for use with a single desktop computer.

>>He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a situation like
>>this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.

> He's correct on that.

I think so too.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Evan Platt

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:40:10 +0100, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The instructions for my little Belkin UPS say some laser printers might
>cause problems if run off the same (little Belkin) UPS as a computer.

Well yeah. You buy a big ass copier / printer / whatever, you buy a
big ass UPS.

Greg

Will do. Thanks for the info.

I'm mainly ****ed at Xerox. The hard drive in this thing is the size of a
notebook drive and can't be very big. But since it is proprietary, Xerox
charges an arm and a leg for the stupid thing.

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mR2Ti.7106$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
>> Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a
>> 15 minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a
>> surge protector prevent this? Or was the drive doomed because of the
>> number of times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power
>> loss? The tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on
>> a printer. He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a
>> situation like this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg

> Get a UPS that will handle the wattage of the printer. Check the APC
> website. It will protect against intermittant power outages like you
> describe. The tech was half right...a surge protector won't help, but hes
> off base on the UPS. Tell him not to quit his second job at
> McDonalds....he might need it full time.

Gaius Baltar

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:33:50 GMT, "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Will do. Thanks for the info.
>
>I'm mainly ****ed at Xerox. The hard drive in this thing is the size of a
>notebook drive and can't be very big. But since it is proprietary, Xerox
>charges an arm and a leg for the stupid thing.

Xerox aren't the only people to manufacture sophisticated printers.
And the price of all printers has come down a lot these days.

gb

w_tom

On Oct 22, 10:58 am, "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
> Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a 15
> minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a surge
> protector prevent this? Or was the drive doomed because of the number of
> times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power loss? The
> tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on a printer.
> He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a situation like
> this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.

Your answers must include technical facts. Most do not. Let's get
down to relevant details.

The UPS connects electricity directly to its load (copier) when not
in battery backup mode. When it shifts to battery backup mode, the
typical UPS then outputs some of the dirtiest electricity seen by
electronics. For example, this 120 volt UPS in outputs two 200 volts
square waves with a spike of up to 270 volts between those square
waves. A power supply is designed to make irrelevant such dirty
electricity which is why these UPSes are also called 'computer grade'.

However this same UPS output is so dirty as to maybe harm small
electric motors or plug-in protectors. How many small electric motors
in that copier connect to AC mains? The useful answer demands such
technical details.

What will a surge protector do? Well, again, that copier's power
supply must make such 'dirty' electricity irrelevant. Those spikes
are made irrelevant by copier internal circuits. Anything that a
power strip protector might accomplish is already done in a copier's
supply. Many who would recommend that power strip protector do not
first learn these technical facts. Same power supply protection that
makes that a 'dirty' UPS output irrelevant also does what that power
strip might accomplish.

Disk drive is powered directly from copier power supply. Nothing
warns a disk drive that power is being lost. To a disk drive, manual
power off (via power switch) or power loss from AC mains looks exactly
same. Disk drive sees DC supply voltage disappearing. So disk
drive's computer automatically shuts down. Makes no difference where
that power loss comes from.

Disk drive was not damage by power loss. That failure probably was
a disk drive manufacturing defect.

If a disk drive needed a UPS, then the copier's power supply already
has that UPS function inside. Some specialty computers had that UPS
inside the supply. Such designs are not popular - were difficult to
find and were often discontinued - because a UPS did nothing for
hardware protection and had limited purpose. When the computer needs
a UPS, we call that a laptop.

Each above answer includes the technical reasons why. Those who
posted otherwise never once bothered to include the technical reasons
for 'why'. They just declared conclusions with the assumed "trust
me". Same logic also proved Saddam had WMDs. An answer without the
technical 'whys' should be ignored.

Paige D'Winter

Greg wrote:
> Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
> Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a 15
> minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a surge
> protector prevent this? Or was the drive doomed because of the number of
> times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power loss? The
> tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on a printer.
> He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a situation like
> this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND DUMBASS.

larya

On Oct 22, 10:58 am, "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are they worth using on a large office copy machine? We have a Xerox Work
> Center 428. Last Thursday the power flashed off and on about 5 times in a 15
> minute span. As a result, the hard drive in the Xerox died. Would a surge
> protector prevent this? Or was the drive doomed because of the number of
> times the machine was powered down incorrectly due to the power loss? The
> tech person said an uninterrupted power supply can't be used on a printer.
> He also said a surge protector is basically useless in a situation like
> this. But I'm looking for a second opinion.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

May I suggest that instead of a surge protector, you get a ups for the
copy machine.. Surge protectors only hand very short spikes.. a ups
can handle much longer power outages...
Larry