Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > another wireless set up question

another wireless set up question

=?Utf-8?B?QmFzc21hbg==?=

I give up. I’ve tried all the wizards, tips, troubleshooters and diagnostics
I could find and nothing seems to help. Here’s the scenario. I have a desktop
and laptop, both with XP pro SP 2. The router is a linksys wireless broadband
WRT54G. The laptop has the Centrino mobile technology interface and the
desktop is connected to the router through the Ethernet. Both can access the
internet fine. I’ve used the network and wireless wizards to set up the
network but to no avail. When I view Network Connections I see the following:
On the Desk Top computer:
Internet Gateway
Internet Connection – Internet Gateway – connected – Internet connection –
system
LAN or High Speed Internet
Local area connection – LAN or High Speed Internet – Connected, Firewalled –
Intel PRO/100 VE Netwok Connection – system
1394 Connection - LAN or High Speed Internet - – Connected, Firewalled –
1394 Net Adapter – system
On the Laptop:
Internet Gateway
Internet Connection – Internet Gateway – enabled – Internet connection –
system
LAN or High Speed Internet
1394 Connection2 - LAN or High Speed Internet - enabled – 1394 Net Adapter2
– system
Wireless Network Connection – LAN or high speed internet – enabled - Intel
PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter – system
Local area connection – LAN or High Speed Internet – Network cable unplugged
– VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet adapter – system (if I disable this it
doesn’t change anything)

If this raises more questions than it answers, I’ll provide whatever other
info anyone needs to point me the right direction.

Thanks in advance for looking at this.

Jack

Hi
You need to set up the sharing, since you use few times the Wizard do it
manually.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bassman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I give up. I've tried all the wizards, tips, troubleshooters and
>diagnostics
> I could find and nothing seems to help. Here's the scenario. I have a
> desktop
> and laptop, both with XP pro SP 2. The router is a linksys wireless
> broadband
> WRT54G. The laptop has the Centrino mobile technology interface and the
> desktop is connected to the router through the Ethernet. Both can access
> the
> internet fine. I've used the network and wireless wizards to set up the
> network but to no avail. When I view Network Connections I see the
> following:
> On the Desk Top computer:
> Internet Gateway
> Internet Connection - Internet Gateway - connected - Internet connection -
> system
> LAN or High Speed Internet
> Local area connection - LAN or High Speed Internet - Connected,
> Firewalled -
> Intel PRO/100 VE Netwok Connection - system
> 1394 Connection - LAN or High Speed Internet - - Connected, Firewalled -
> 1394 Net Adapter - system
> On the Laptop:
> Internet Gateway
> Internet Connection - Internet Gateway - enabled - Internet connection -
> system
> LAN or High Speed Internet
> 1394 Connection2 - LAN or High Speed Internet - enabled - 1394 Net
> Adapter2
> - system
> Wireless Network Connection - LAN or high speed internet - enabled - Intel
> PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter - system
> Local area connection - LAN or High Speed Internet - Network cable
> unplugged
> - VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet adapter - system (if I disable this
> it
> doesn't change anything)
>
> If this raises more questions than it answers, I'll provide whatever
> other
> info anyone needs to point me the right direction.
>
> Thanks in advance for looking at this.

__spc__

"Bassman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I give up. I've tried all the wizards, tips, troubleshooters and
>diagnostics
> I could find and nothing seems to help. Here's the scenario. I have a
> desktop
> and laptop, both with XP pro SP 2. The router is a linksys wireless
> broadband
> WRT54G. The laptop has the Centrino mobile technology interface and the
> desktop is connected to the router through the Ethernet. Both can access
> the
> internet fine. I've used the network and wireless wizards to set up the
> network but to no avail. When I view Network Connections I see the
> following:
> On the Desk Top computer:
> Internet Gateway
> Internet Connection - Internet Gateway - connected - Internet connection -
> system
> LAN or High Speed Internet
> Local area connection - LAN or High Speed Internet - Connected,
> Firewalled -
> Intel PRO/100 VE Netwok Connection - system
> 1394 Connection - LAN or High Speed Internet - - Connected, Firewalled -
> 1394 Net Adapter - system
> On the Laptop:
> Internet Gateway
> Internet Connection - Internet Gateway - enabled - Internet connection -
> system
> LAN or High Speed Internet
> 1394 Connection2 - LAN or High Speed Internet - enabled - 1394 Net
> Adapter2
> - system
> Wireless Network Connection - LAN or high speed internet - enabled - Intel
> PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter - system
> Local area connection - LAN or High Speed Internet - Network cable
> unplugged
> - VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet adapter - system (if I disable this
> it
> doesn't change anything)
>
> If this raises more questions than it answers, I'll provide whatever
> other
> info anyone needs to point me the right direction.
>
> Thanks in advance for looking at this.

Firewalls configured properly?

=?Utf-8?B?QmFzc21hbg==?=

Thanks Guys;
We’re making some progress. I’ve turned of the Windows firewalls and can now
see each computer’s “shared docs” on the other. At first I could actually
open the laptop’s docs from the desktop. Now I can’t for some reason. When I
try to open the laptop shared docs from the desktop, I get the following
error message:
\\LAPTOP\SharedDOC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this sever to find out if
you access permissions.
Logon failure: unknown user name or password.

When I try to access the desktop shard docs from the laptop I get the same
basic message but slightly different ending…. Not enough server storage is
available to process this command.

I’ve set the sharing properties on several folders to allow for sharing.
These folders appear in my network places but are not accessible.

Thoughts ?

Thanks again.

Bassman