Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dbf repair

dbf repair

Basil Fawlty

"Alfred" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:11:06 +0200, "Basil Fawlty"
> <nospam@****exxon.com> wrote:
>

>>"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So this .DBF file would be?
>>>
>>> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
>>> b) Abacus Law Data?
>>> c) ACT! Main Database File?
>>> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
>>> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
>>> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
>>> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
>>> any description
>>>

>>Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
>>file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks.
>>That's
>>too much for recovery of just one file.
>>

> Try importing it into an MSaccess DB

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

why?

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:43:04 +0200, Basil Fawlty wrote:

>"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Basil Fawlty wrote:
>>> "Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>>> It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog
>>> called "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

>> So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of the
>> other applications you tried failed to work.

>Like I said, DBF-Recovery can read the file, but save only 25 records of it.

It doesn't say what type of DBF it is?

Last time I had to restore a DBF file, the file was intact but the data
was corrupted. Simple method was to knock up a simple Perl script to
read a DBase III/VI file.

<snip many blank lines>

Me

Basil Fawlty

"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:43:04 +0200, Basil Fawlty wrote:
>

>>"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> <snip>

>>> So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of
>>> the
>>> other applications you tried failed to work.

>>Like I said, DBF-Recovery can read the file, but save only 25 records of
>>it.

> It doesn't say what type of DBF it is?

Unfortunately, it doesn't...

> Last time I had to restore a DBF file, the file was intact but the data
> was corrupted. Simple method was to knock up a simple Perl script to
> read a DBase III/VI file.

I'm not a coder, I'll have to study on a "simple Perl script" to read a DBF
file.

> <snip many blank lines>

I'll try to snip the blank lines myself first...

> Me

Basil

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Basil Fawlty" <nospam@****exxon.com> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
>it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
>program that could do it?

Lot of questions about what type of file this is. You can use
FileAlyzer to get more info out of it, reading the string info can
tell you a lot.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/f...zer/index.html
--

clockwise or anti-clockwise?
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...81-661,00.html

Basil Fawlty

<(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Basil Fawlty" <nospam@****exxon.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>
>>I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
>>it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
>>program that could do it?

> Lot of questions about what type of file this is. You can use
> FileAlyzer to get more info out of it, reading the string info can
> tell you a lot.
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/f...zer/index.html

It's a .DBF file. Some dBase or whatever file. I even found software
(DBF-Recovery) which shows me the contents of the file. However, to
reconstruct the dbf file, I'll have to pay 149 bucks for the full working
program, if any. There must be an easier way, hence my question here.

Now how on earth do I delete the additional lines in my reply?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Basil Fawlty" <nospam@****exxon.com> wrote:

>Now how on earth do I delete the additional lines in my reply?

Highlight what you want to reply to, then reply.

Highlight other text then press delete.
--

clockwise or anti-clockwise?
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...81-661,00.html

Plato

Basil Fawlty wrote:

> >> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
> >> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
> >> program that could do it?

> > So this .DBF file would be?
> >
> > a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
> > b) Abacus Law Data?
> > c) ACT! Main Database File?
> > d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
> > e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
> > f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
> > g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
> > any description

> Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
> file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks. That's
> too much for recovery of just one file.

Then just use your backup. No problem whatsoever. You do have a backup,
right? Since it's an important file..

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

TekTel_99 TekTel_99 is offline
Junior Member

Try Kernel repair for DBF, This software supports different Dbase versions such as Dbase I, II, III, IV and V. Moreover, the utility also works on several versions of Foxbase, Fox pro and Visual Fox Pro. An user is required to buy the license key of the recovery program, in order to save the retrieved files on his/her system.To know more about the tool and how it repairs corrupt dbf file visit http://www.repairdbf.net/